Fondant Question/ Venting

Decorating By Alicia0620 Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 12:31am by jensenscakes

Alicia0620 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alicia0620 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 8

So I'm sure this has been asked a billion times, so I'm sorry I've not seen it. I've only used wilton brand fondant which works well for decorations and covering cakes in my opinion, but the complaint I've gotten several times from my friend is and I quote, " I hate that crap!" ok... Well, then. I admit that Wilton's fondant has a bland taste but I don't think it's awful. I also add flavors to mine. But still my friend insists it's awful and get this.. I'm inviting her over for her birthday and having a dinner and said IF I had time, I MIGHT make her a small birthday cake. So this ungrateful cake person calls me this morning to insist that on her special birthday cake that she really hopes I make for her, to NOT have any of that FONDANT on it... icon_confused.gif Isn't it rude to throw demands to someone who is doing something nice and FREE for you? Well, anyway after this venting, my question really is does Satin Ice taste better or what about home made marshmallow fondant? I love the way fondant looks on cakes and I REALLY want to prove to her that it's not as AWFUL as she makes it out. Hey, thanks for listening in advance and any suggestions.

7 replies
jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 8

1. Wilton is horrible and if you add flavor, you just end up with flavored cr*p.
2. Satin Ice is worlds better in taste, texture, and workability.
3. no matter what you do, some people are just never going to like fondant. Ever. and that is ok.
4. If she has told you before she hates the stuff, then she hates it. Continuing to force it on her is silly.
5. Personally, I think that if you are making the cake for her as a nice gesture from a friend for her birthday (even if free), then you should consider her tastes. If you are making the cake for you, then do what you want.

Alicia0620 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alicia0620 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 8

Ok.. Point taken. Thanks!

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 8

When you try SatinIce or homemade MMF, you won't go back to Wilton (except maybe for decorations in a pinch)!! I started out using Wilton, not knowing I had other options, and I honestly believed fondant just wasn't meant to be consumed. Then I started branching out and trying other kinds and I was AMAZED.

Like the pp said, some people just don't like fondant and maybe never will. I say try making some homemade MMF (so easy, cheap, good-handling, and decent tasting) for your friend's birthday cake. Maybe give her one more chance on the fondant, showing her it's not ALL terrible. If she still doesn't like it, she doesn't like it. She can eat around it this time and if you do a cake for her in the future, stick with buttercream. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

~Sarah

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 8

The only time I use Wilton fondant is for practice and for the cakes I am entering the in the fair. It doesn't even smell ok!

I love Satin Ice fondant. I am starting to use MMF but I am still learning to work with it. They both taste good!

I also agree with previous posters, some will never like fondant, no matter how its made or who makes up and I try to take into consideration the likes and dislikes of the person I am making the cake for. My sister hates fondant period. My photographer would be in pig heaven if I gave her MMF just to eat!

MamaNenascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaNenascakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 8

I stared a similar topic.... I've been working with fondant for over 9 years, I stared using MMF... and I can't believe how cheap and easy to use is... I flavor it and it taste fantastic.
I don't think I'll go back to other fondant recipe. Besides if you want harder consistency like working gum paste I mix it with the ready to use wilton gum paste and maes the flavor so much better.
I personally don't see any thing wrong about MMF I LOVE IT!

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 8

I use home made MMF. My sister always said she hated fondant, until she tried a tiny bite of my MMF. She loves it now!!

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:31am
post #8 of 8

I love the MMF especially with a little almond extract in it. Wilton's is gross and expensive. Once you try MMF you will never go back. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%