Ok Very Angry...stop Payment Day Of Wedding

Business By dsevans Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 6:03pm by indydebi

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:44pm
post #211 of 1040

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell us you are going to take her to court?!?!?!!? She really needs to learn a lesson. I would scan a copy of that Stop Payment letter and post it on my website(petty yes) but it sure would make me feel better for a little while.

People like that just suck!

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:44pm
post #212 of 1040

some people are really bad! icon_sad.gif
way to stand up for yourself dsevans!!!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:44pm
post #213 of 1040

thumbs_up.gif Been following your thread. Congrats and thanks for sticking to your guns!!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:47pm
post #214 of 1040

I couldn't let things go from here... I would want to call the venue to find out what they did... did they run to Walmart and get some of those lovely , tasty sheet cakes they have in their freezers or did they opt for the twinkies......

I would be dying to know what they ended up doing... I would go just to watch.. lurking in the background.... sometimes I just can't let things go...

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:47pm
post #215 of 1040

Ain't it great to have a thread that keeps all of us glued to our computers on a beautiful Friday...

All I can say is "Way to go"... thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif You defended yourself very well. If she couldn't afford the cake, she should have talked to you for a way to cut the cost down on it (eliminate the GP flowers, just rough ice it, etc.). Chances are if she had WORKED with you, even if it was at the last second, you'd have worked with her instead of having a bigger situation like this to deal with. But, it's still an issue of intent and as a business you need to defend your position. Great idea to take the big layer into the people at the reception site for helping you out on this one. I'm sure they'll enjoy it. You could call ahead and ask "is anyone's birthday coming up in the next few days" and give it a little personalization. You really did what you can, and that's make lemonade out of this one. Just consider yourself blessed that this happened BEFORE the wedding instead of after and wash your hands of things. Lack of planning on their part does not constitute an emergency on your part or somehow call you heartless... People like that are ones who are used to getting whatever they want for nothing as an entitlement. We had 400 guests at our wedding, two meat buffet, table cakes, and centerpiece cake, NONE of our vendors had to wait for their money, matter of fact, some of them wanted US to wait to give them the money.

And... I would still take this to the D.A. for check fraud and intent to commit theft of services. Even though the cake was not delivered because this cancellation happened because of the stop payment on the check and the terms of the contract are solid, it's still intent. She won't likely get convicted (or will get deferment program), but she'll have a good headache to deal with during that time to learn "that stuff isn't o.k.!" Take your documentation of everything in. Had you not been contacted by your bank, she would have gotten the cake for half price and been in far worse circumstances than just intention to commit. It's one thing if she calls you and says "OMG, I don't know how it happened, but we just checked our account balance and there is $250 unaccounted for so the check might not go through, OMG OMG OMG, (bawling) I don't know what to do and what can we work out???" type situation where this has happened (in one case the reception site did a EFT for double her reception cost... yea, how do you come up with $2200 on the spot to make sure vendors are kept happy..). I had that happen with a bride for her Groom's cake. I knew the bride as a friend first, so it wasn't like I was too worried about it (was a guest to the wedding), so I waited until things got through, but it also changed my way of doing business so I get paid weeks in advance of when the caterer needs their final check LOL...

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:49pm
post #216 of 1040

I think we can all thank reality TV for glorifying bad behavior. We make celebrities out of brats, and they become rich as a result. It's sickening. And sets such a good example for others.
This bride deserves a kick in the pants, and her mother needs a beating.
DON'T SPEND MONEY YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO SPEND.
Praise to the baker for sticking to her contract! I wish I belonged to her church so I could have a piece of the infamous cake on Sunday!

dttcb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dttcb Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:50pm
post #217 of 1040

WOWSER! I have been on "cake hiatus" for a while, but I am doing one this weekend... Boy I missed this place! Better than a soap opera any day!

OP, I am SO sorry this happened to you! You were totally right, and should not feel the least bit guilty for sticking to your guns!

Please post pics of the cake!

Good Luck in the future! I bet this will not happen to you again!

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:54pm
post #218 of 1040

Sadly, you know this bratty bride and her piece of work MOB will be whining and crying at the wedding about the horrible cake lady who stiffed them or dropped their cake or whatever story they make up. But I'm sure the venue manager will set the record straight at every opportunity. And I'm sure you'll make up for this frustrating loss in the referrals from the venue after handling yourself so well. Truly unbelievable, though.

I, too, wouldn't be surprised either if they miraculously scrounge together the money at the last second. I just hope they don't stiff the florist to do it!!

paddlegirl14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paddlegirl14 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:57pm
post #219 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

350 packages of Twinkies won't be cheap!
Kharma will get her.

Maybe they can get Ding Dongs or Swiss Cake Rolls!! At least they come 2 to a pack.

paddlegirl14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paddlegirl14 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:58pm
post #220 of 1040
Quote:

I think we can all thank reality TV for glorifying bad behavior. We make celebrities out of brats, and they become rich as a result. It's sickening. And sets such a good example for others.
This bride deserves a kick in the pants, and her mother needs a beating.
DON'T SPEND MONEY YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO SPEND.
Praise to the baker for sticking to her contract! I wish I belonged to her church so I could have a piece of the infamous cake on Sunday!

AMEN!!!

Anntee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anntee Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:01pm
post #221 of 1040

icon_sad.gif So not fair - the whole thing. Sorry that all your talent and effort has been treated that way, dsevans. Wonder if Duff etal has such problems?

BTW - speaking of "stopping payment" - I once had USPS Money orders stopped. CASH only should be the rule methinks!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:03pm
post #222 of 1040

OMG, I don't think this particular forum has ever had so many members browsing it at once.

Could we set a new record for most members online at the same time? icon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gif

londonpeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
londonpeach Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:05pm
post #223 of 1040

Wow, i've just read all through this post and am amazed at the nerve of some people icon_eek.gif

I'm not sure of the time difference and it may be too late, but I know it it was me (i'm sure the OP said the dummy cake was hers) I would collect the dummy cake from venue to do alterations on icon_wink.gif
No payment....no cake or dummy cake of mine icon_evil.gif

See you in court

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:06pm
post #224 of 1040

IF they really thought 1100 was too much for a cake, then why did they have 350 guests? Those two women have no shame whatsoever! And to try and bully you into giving the cake to them? I'm very proud of you for standing up to them.

BRAVA!

Now go and have yourself a Tequila or two or three.

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:07pm
post #225 of 1040

Ya just have to wonder how much princess' gown was. I bet she spent a pretty penny and didn't ask the shop to knock off HALF the amount after they had done custom alterations just because she thought it was too expensive.
Other than the fact what she did was rude as hell, it's also illegal. I would definately see what I could do. She needs something if not just a slap on the wrist and some headache to deal with. Lord knows you have dealt with enough!

kookykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kookykakes Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:08pm
post #226 of 1040

Being so new in this business......I am absolutely amazed at the amount of support for eachother. I think all of you posters need a thumbs up thumbs_up.gif . What a great group of people to have as support and to give great advice to us newer people!

To the OP: you have class! hat1.gif

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:09pm
post #227 of 1040

I am DYING to know if the bride or MOB called at the last second. JUST DYING!!!!

This is such a crappy thing to do. I just CANNOT believe it!!! I work for lawyers.....my boss would probably be calling them right now!

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:11pm
post #228 of 1040

If I were you, I would tell the venue person to go ahead and collect the $250. Then take them the 1 big tier tomorrow. And then serve them with papers on Monday. You still delivered your end of the deal, and that way you at least get 3/4 of your money, instead of just half. I am SO sorry this has happened to you...try to keep your head up(like it seems like what you are doing). I commend you for sticking up for yourself, in a professional manner. I know I couldn't do that!

cakerer and MB...I'm in SC too!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:12pm
post #229 of 1040

I'm behind two pages here but this is what I gotta say--all the little cake chickies who go <in a whiney voice> "Oh it's just little ole' me and I don't affect anything~~ it's nobody's business what I charge ~~I'd hate it if someone thought I was over charging so I'll give my work away bladeeblabla

Those chicklettes plus the ones who write those stupid articles on how to save money on a wedding --the combination of you two groups of people are partially responsible for this fiasco.

I personally hold you partially responsible. You do make a difference. You do undercut. You are wrong for that. Your finger is baked in this pie.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:14pm
post #230 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsevans

Bride emails last night just checking in re-affirming delivery time and everything.....email her back, everything is great will be putting finishing touches on cake in the am , cake will be delivered and set up at 4:30pm ( wedd starts at 6pm). Basically confirming everything in our contract.

Okay so this may have benn stupid of me but I let them make the final payment on monday because they were waiting on their tax return to come through ( didnt think it was a big deal, their original check went through and they bank at the same bank so its not like i have to wait for the check to go through)

Get a call a few minutes ago from a friend of mine at the bank and she said that bride just called and put a stop payment on my check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsevans

okay I have returned to my desk for the moment......jus to clarify banking stuff...our bank has a policy that even if the checks are from the same bank and funda may be "credited" to an account that funds can still be "recalled" up to five business days after depositing ...it's kinda like a NSF.

I'm thinking that this was 100% and then some premeditated!

Probably why she gave you the song and dance about not being able to pay you until 5 days before. What do you all think.

What pisses me off about this (besides the bride and the MOB) is that she is still going to have a nice cake to display and take pics with!

Hopefully she hasn't done this to any of the other business that she used for this this wedding. She probably learned on her mommy's knees that this is how your supposed to do things.

I would definitely sue her maybe it will knock some sense into her and she won't be so quick to do this to someone else.

Sorry you had to go thru this.

-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:20pm
post #231 of 1040

Now I'm three pages behind but --I would SO go park my vehicle in that parking lot and display that cake. Girl, you have a contract to be there. She defaulted on you.

I would time it to be there when the party starts.
I'd expect them to call the cops too. And I'd have my contract and the stop payment check and the confirmation email from her last night.

If you think this is unprofessional that's ok with me.

Ooooooh, I'm mad.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:22pm
post #232 of 1040

PLEASE tell me you ARE NOT going to take her any part of the cake like you said. She thought she could cheat yu, she didn't get away with it. Then her mother has the nerve to curse you out, cause they got caught trying to cheat you!!! They do not deserve any of that cake, not even a 6". I am so BEGGING you on HANDS & KNEES, don't take them any cake.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:30pm
post #233 of 1040

Someone PLEASE go get the dummy cake from the venue! Bride deserves nothing from baker.
My head is spinning with evil thoughts. I'm so angry!
IF bride comes up with cash, she should be charged a rush delivery fee.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:30pm
post #234 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

I'm thinking that this was 100% and then some premeditated!

Probably why she gave you the song and dance about not being able to pay you until 5 days before. What do you all think.

What pisses me off about this (besides the bride and the MOB) is that she is still going to have a nice cake to display and take pics with!

Hopefully she hasn't done this to any of the other business that she used for this this wedding. She probably learned on her mommy's knees that this is how your supposed to do things.

I would definitely sue her maybe it will knock some sense into her and she won't be so quick to do this to someone else.

Sorry you had to go thru this.

Oh I absolutely agree with you about this being premeditated.

This bride is the perfect example of today's *entitled* society.

People have probably told her all her life that she DESERVES to have the nicest, prettiest cake at her wedding because it's her DREAM!

Doesn't everyone DESERVE the cake of their DREAMS? Even if they cannot afford to pay for it?

NO this bride doesn't deserve a cake she cannot afford to pay for.

I know I say this all the time but I always feel the need to repeat it in times like this. PEOPLE NEED TO LIVE WITHIN THEIR MEANS.

People that don't live within their means seem to come up with some pretty dishonest ways of getting what they want even though they can't afford it.

It took some thought from this bride to concoct this scheme, only she didn't factor in that the OP had a friend at the bank who would notify her of the stop payment.

That's where her "well thought out" plan, failed miserably and blew up in her face. Probably, like her marriage will.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:31pm
post #235 of 1040

I would tell the venue not to let the bride/mob have the dummy cake either, as another poster said...no cake means no cake from OP.

-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:31pm
post #236 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

PLEASE tell me you ARE NOT going to take her any part of the cake like you said. She thought she could cheat yu, she didn't get away with it. Then her mother has the nerve to curse you out, cause they got caught trying to cheat you!!! They do not deserve any of that cake, not even a 6". I am so BEGGING you on HANDS & KNEES, don't take them any cake.

No no --the wedding is right now tonight--tomorrow she's gonna take some of the cake to the venue lady and her crew. Venue lady is a blessing!

Nothing to the bride.

What a great way to pledge your never dying love, stopped checks notwithstanding. Kinda looses a little magic there huh.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:31pm
post #237 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlegirl14

Quote:

350 packages of Twinkies won't be cheap!
Kharma will get her.

Maybe they can get Ding Dongs or Swiss Cake Rolls!! At least they come 2 to a pack.

Please! This is a wedding! It's Pink Snowballs or nothing!

l_m_mena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l_m_mena Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:32pm
post #238 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I tought she said she was taking a tier for the venue manager, probably to thank them for their support, not to the bride

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:33pm
post #239 of 1040

Thanks for explaining that to me K8, cause I was so having a heart attack.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:36pm
post #240 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Now I'm three pages behind but --I would SO go park my vehicle in that parking lot and display that cake. Girl, you have a contract to be there. She defaulted on you.

I would time it to be there when the party starts.
I'd expect them to call the cops too. And I'd have my contract and the stop payment check and the confirmation email from her last night.

If you think this is unprofessional that's ok with me.

Ooooooh, I'm mad.

Me too!

I actually forgot she emailed (my addled mind was thinking it was a phone call), even more proof of her deception and proof for you if you decide to sue!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%