Ok Very Angry...stop Payment Day Of Wedding

Business By dsevans Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 6:03pm by indydebi

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 4:56pm
post #91 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

OHHHH! That sucks! I wonder what other vendors are getting screwed and don't even know it!

That was my point earlier, the vendor is the only one you can know for sure they are dealing with, find out from them if she cancelled their checks too. Also, if they dont know yet, then when they find out about your situation, then they might be able to check it out, and then maybe not hold the reception at all!! backfire city, she would not know what to do, and i wish you could be there to see her face, it would be priceless.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 4:58pm
post #92 of 1040

Oh that sucks... and because she confirmed I have no faith that she is innocent in this. If the wedding was called off she'd be calling people. I had a wedding get cancelled once. It was such a hard thing for the bride, and I felt horrible for her afte we talked and I told her I'd keep her deposit on file for a future cake (which I don't normally do). You could just hear the hurt in her voice.

I hope that your issue gets resolved ASAP. I require final payment 4 weeks before the event dat, and if it has to be after that point it has to be cash. It can take weeks for bounced checks to make it back to your account so I like to cover my ass well.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:03pm
post #93 of 1040

As I see it, you have two options. You can deliver the cake or not. I suspect that your options for recouping anything from her may vary depending on which course you take.

While the threat of not delivering the cake may give you more leverage beforehand, it may limit how much you can recoup in Small Claims. Whereas if you do deliver the cake to her, you've fulfilled your part of the contract in good faith and have every reason to expect full payment in Small Claims.

I don't know for sure, and the legalities are most likely different in different states. But I would definitely check it out before I decided what to do.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:05pm
post #94 of 1040

I'm so sorry this happened to you...I hope it is all a misunderstanding or there is some really, really, really good explanation for this. Please let us know what happens! Sending good vibes your way that everything works out for you in the end.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:11pm
post #95 of 1040

I'm only on page two --geez do we love the drama huh--so cut me some slack on this idea that popped into my brain--I probably would never do it but it's just a juicy day dream--what about if there was an appropriate courtyard or sidewalk area and the weather cooperated and you could see the cake set up just outside the reception or the ceremony where everyone would see it and have a little sign that says, y'know like 'cake for sale' half price (however much she's allegedly cheating you out of) or something pithy???

"A dollar a slice"

Have a "money tree" to defray the cost of the cake??!! icon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:13pm
post #96 of 1040

You know, I saw something like this on "Bridezillas". The bride had her mother call the florist a few days before the wedding and say it was cancelled when she found she couldn't afford to pay for the flowers. They were all special order. I don't remember what happened with that one. I'm so sorry this happened to you!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:13pm
post #97 of 1040

Okay I read the part about the noon deadline, and I'm reading this at 1:15 p.m. -- sooooo, WHAT HAPPENED??????

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:14pm
post #98 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

As I see it, you have two options. You can deliver the cake or not. I suspect that your options for recouping anything from her may vary depending on which course you take.

While the threat of not delivering the cake may give you more leverage beforehand, it may limit how much you can recoup in Small Claims. Whereas if you do deliver the cake to her, you've fulfilled your part of the contract in good faith and have every reason to expect full payment in Small Claims.

I don't know for sure, and the legalities are most likely different in different states. But I would definitely check it out before I decided what to do.

I don't think the second part sounds right. I don't know for sure as I am not a lawyer. However, I don't think a cake has to be delivered if someone stops payment on a check and has no way of paying when it is in the contract. The baker did make the cake so she did her part. It is totally the brides fault.

tirechic Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:16pm
post #99 of 1040

[quote="k8memphis"]I'm only on page two --geez do we love the drama huh--so cut me some slack on this idea that popped into my brain--I probably would never do it but it's just a juicy day dream--what about if there was an appropriate courtyard or sidewalk area and the weather cooperated and you could see the cake set up just outside the reception or the ceremony where everyone would see it and have a little sign that says, y'know like 'cake for sale' half price (however much she's allegedly cheating you out of) or something pithy???

"A dollar a slice"

Have a "money tree" to defray the cost of the cake??!! icon_biggrin.gif

wouldn't that be a kick in the pants..... thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

kathys90 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:17pm
post #100 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Okay I read the part about the noon deadline, and I'm reading this at 1:15 p.m. -- sooooo, WHAT HAPPENED??????

I just checked. The OP is in Arkansas, so it's only 12:15 there. The suspense is killing me too! icon_twisted.gif

tirechic Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:22pm
post #101 of 1040

icon_lol.gif this is like "the cakes of our lives" or "guiding cake" or even "all my cakes", but i too am watching like a hawk to see what happened. I really hope this works out for her, i think we all have our fingers crossed.

-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:23pm
post #102 of 1040

I'm only on page 4 so far but don't forget she is under contract to deliver the cake too ~~ contracts work both ways. ~~ you can't just screw someone because they are or seem to be screwing you.

Small claims court--maybe but op has plenty of time for big time pressure to be put on chicklette here.

Back to reading...

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:25pm
post #103 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys90

You know, I saw something like this on "Bridezillas". The bride had her mother call the florist a few days before the wedding and say it was cancelled when she found she couldn't afford to pay for the flowers. They were all special order. I don't remember what happened with that one. I'm so sorry this happened to you!

That's brilliant with the whole conversation between her and her mother, the arm twisting to call and LIE for her presumably being videotaped for broadcast. Hope the vendor made that "Exhibit 1" in small claims court!

I love all the "cake for sale" recommendations and we're all having some fun with this. But, for a few reasons, I do think she should deliver the cake on the chance that it was a misunderstanding or that, even if it was a deliberate, even pre-meditated scheme, she'll find some family member or FUTURE family member in the parking lot willing to pay off the angry cake lady. Then it'll be a family issue and their problem to collect from this lady.

Stacybugg75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacybugg75 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:26pm
post #104 of 1040

OMG!! This is a terrible situation to be in, I'm so sorry for you... I am waiting on the edge of my seat for an update!

daytoday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daytoday Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:27pm
post #105 of 1040

icon_sad.gif Sorry this has happened,I hope you can recieve your money.
I think what would also bug me is how much time,and heart you put in
this cake to look wonderful for her day. Hugs to you.

kathys90 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:27pm
post #106 of 1040

I'll tell ya, I'd love to be a fly on the wall when/if the bride gets to her reception to find there was no cake icon_eek.gif Better yet, a fly with a camera to get that expression just as she realizes what she did! icon_twisted.gif

-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:27pm
post #107 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmakescakes

How about posting a copy of the stop payment request on the cake table?
icon_eek.gif

This is just so awful of the bride. Definitely let us know what happens and to whom you donate the cake ('cause I'm pretty sure she ain't paying)

Me likie!!! icon_biggrin.gif

But I think I'd blow it up poster size and put it by my card table set up with the cake just outside the venue.
icon_biggrin.gif

still catching up...

kathys90 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:30pm
post #108 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:

icon_eek.gif

This is just so awful of the bride. Definitely let us know what happens and to whom you donate the cake ('cause I'm pretty sure she ain't paying)

But I think I'd blow it up poster size and put it by my card table set up with the cake just outside the venue.
icon_biggrin.gif

Now that would be poetic justice.....the pretty cake..just out of reach! hehehe

still catching up...

simplysweet72740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweet72740 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:30pm
post #109 of 1040

There was a deadly tornado last night a few counties over from OP so it may be while before we hear from her. I hope everything goes well for her. Hopefully she wasn't affected by the storm!!

kathys90 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:31pm
post #110 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys90

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:

icon_eek.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

still catching up...

Oops...now that would be poetic justice...the cake just out of reach

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:32pm
post #111 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I just ran into this thread, so forgive me if all is said and done already.

That close to the event day, I would have just cashed the check outright, instead of depositing it. That way, if there's an NSF or a stop, all the fees fall on the writer of the check, and it would not have any impact my account at all.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

that's not exactly true. if you cash the check and it is later returned, the bank will deduct that amount from your account. It isn't going to pursue payment for the bad check.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:35pm
post #112 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysweet72740

There was a deadly tornado last night a few counties over from OP so it may be while before we hear from her. I hope everything goes well for her. Hopefully she wasn't affected by the storm!!

Hopefully, for the sake of the bride and family, that is not why she canceled. That would be really sad.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:36pm
post #113 of 1040

First of all I agree with the full balance to be paid IN CASH by noon the day of the wedding or NO CAKE/ NO WAY. No excuses and don't waste the tears on me would be my attitude. It sounds to me like this bride certainly was counting on your not knowing she'd stopped payment until after the wedding/ weekend. If she doesn't pay up on time I'd do something else with her cake and keep what she'd put down as some payment for my trouble/materials. I wouldn't care if she served twinkies to her guests. If she tried to stiff you and it turned around to bite her in the tush then she got what she deserved. So sorry it happened to you! Personally I wouldn't do anything like going to her reception for any of the reasons stated earlier as to me that would be sinking to her level and pretty non-professional. (And even if I'm not officially "in the business" I need to be as professional as possible.) Take her to court if you need to and accept the court's decision. It'll make you come out looking better by a long shot. Whatever you do with that big cake, I'd suggest cutting off a big chunk of it and putting your feet up to enjoy it as soon as you can. (After you deliver that second cake I think you mentioned.) I find that staying teed off very long only hurts me. And life is just too short for that. I really hope this works out for you in the end.

I also agree with this. You can try and reach the bride thru the venue and at the same time alert them (the venue) to be aware of their end of the deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherim1000

If you're still unable to contact the client, I would contact the venue and ask if they have an alternate phone number for her. I would also let them know why you are asking. Make sure that you are speaking with a manager so that they can check to ensure that if they received any payments last minute, they can call their bank to verify that no stop payments were placed on them as well.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:37pm
post #114 of 1040

Hubby spent 25 years as a banker. If someone stop-pays a check for no reason other than to get out of paying, that is a federal fraud crime and in our state, you are entitled to collect three times the amount of the check.

If this is what she did, this chic is in BIG trouble, legally speaking!!

I think I, too, would show up at the event with the cake in my van ... locked up in my van ... until someone gave me the money. If you can get something from the bank showing a stop payment, then do so and have it with you, otherwise they will claim, "I gave you the check!" But at least everyone will know what a conniving little a$$ she's being and she won't have a chance to spread a lie about why the cake isn't there.

Maybe call the venue to see if the wedding is still on and tell them why you are calling .... (look blonde, sound innocent! icon_rolleyes.gif ) icon_rolleyes.gif That

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:38pm
post #115 of 1040

I have to say that cancelling checks would be the LAST thing on my mind in the midst of a violent storm (and I live in hurricane country, so I've been through this many a time).
Why go through the time and expense to CANCEL checks, and not call the baker? Even worse, not only did she not call to cancel, she called (or emailed?) to CONFIRM.

wendalynn11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalynn11 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:38pm
post #116 of 1040

So what happened???!!!!

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:42pm
post #117 of 1040

I want to know too! lol!

Which of these fine ladies suggestions did you follow???

hehehehe!!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:44pm
post #118 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbeck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysweet72740

Hopefully, for the sake of the bride and family, that is not why she canceled. That would be really sad.

? I thought a Bank couldn't place a stop payment for thier account holder if the funds have already left the accound holder's account. Basically it's already been paid-nothing they can do.

I had to place a stop payment once and was told if it had already been preseted to my bank then there was nothing they could do and I would have to go to the check holder and settle it. Luckily it hadn't been presented and I called and caught the check holder with it and asked them to hold it for 2 more days and they did and everyrthing worked out great and I didn't have to pay an overdraft fee. My bank won't refuse a check unless it is over a certian amount the account is lacking. They put it right through and collect their $30.00 ISF Fee! Greedy Bank.

Pins and needles till we hear what happened!!!!

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:44pm
post #119 of 1040

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that this was premeditated by the bride icon_surprised.gif. I hope she gets what she deserves.

-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:49pm
post #120 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

Personally I wouldn't do anything like going to her reception for any of the reasons stated earlier as to me that would be sinking to her level and pretty non-professional. (And even if I'm not officially "in the business" I need to be as professional as possible.) Take her to court if you need to and accept the court's decision. It'll make you come out looking better by a long shot.

[/quote]

I was day dreaming as I said to a certain extent by setting up a display outside.

However if all this is true, I would deliver the cake to the parking lot of the venue and not bring it in because it's your reputation too.

They'll be saying "Well omg no cake who's supposed to do the cake? "Oh they are awful!", people will say"They are horrible what a bad caker."

I ain't gonna let her get sympathy for no cake so she can slam me and stiff me.

It's your arse either way.

I would (again if all this is completely true) hold that bad boy hostage just out of reach till somebody coughed up the funds. I would start quietly with the family being privy but frankly I would eventually want everyone to be aware that the cake is ready and delivered and awaiting payment.

I don't know if is it more porfessional to let yourself get slimed or stand up for yourself in this way but I would stand up for myself. Now not on the display thing I was 'deliciously day dreaming' about--but I would so keep it in my car.

The pressure would be nuclear. And this would be worlds easier than small claims court--sure you would win but there's nothing to make them pay after the judgement.

Also I tell my brides that the cake they buy has no bearing on whether there's a wedding. The contract is for thus & such cake at the appointed time & place end of the world. The wedding actually taking place is not my department.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%