Business By dsevans Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 6:03pm by indydebi

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:54pm
post #901 of 1040

CASE CLOSED!

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:56pm
post #902 of 1040

Well, it was fun while it lasted, thanks MCC for solving this for us.It was very entertaining, like a movie or a good book. Now back to my life, got housework, cookies, my daughter and a treadmill that need me...ok my treadmill doesnt need me, but its calling. Happy baking everyone.

Ezmerelda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ezmerelda Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:56pm
post #903 of 1040

I'm a lurker sorry, but have just read this thread. The cake is definately a photoshop job. I have been fiddling with it and the amount of noise (distortion so to speak) in the image is horrific. Most definately a 'shop as its known in the trade icon_smile.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:56pm
post #904 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

Very good points CarolAnn. icon_smile.gif Not very professional on the part of the venue.

This might have been covered, but I"m going to say it anyway...

I don't think that you are right at all. The venue rep has had a lot of dealings with the OP, and if the rep DIDN'T tell people the truth, we ALL know that the bride and MOB would say that the OP just simply didn't delliver the cake and would have blamed it all on the OP. So good for the rep for standing up for the OP. I applaud both of them. Can you imagine how the OP's reputation would have been ruined in a small town where everyone knows everyonee else's business, and she has worked SO hard for years to make such a good reputation... I think in every case like this the honest parties need to CYA, and tell the truth. You can tell the truth without judgement, just the straight facts.

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:56pm
post #905 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC

I believe CCer's have been duped. I found the "actual" cake that the OP posted. It's from Heidelberg cakes in Australia. Here's the link, http://www.heidelbergcakes.com.au/d399/6-tier-cake-with-sugar-roses. I had suspicions from the beginning.

judge.gif case closed

Thanks for the entertainment though. icon_rolleyes.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:57pm
post #906 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC

I believe CCer's have been duped. I found the "actual" cake that the OP posted. It's from Heidelberg cakes in Australia. Here's the link, http://www.heidelbergcakes.com.au/d399/6-tier-cake-with-sugar-roses. I had suspicions from the beginning.

Well I'll be damned........my suspicions proved correct again!! How the heck did you find that?

You definitely deserve the *Colombo* award for great detective work!

I bet we never hear back from the OP after this little development. She'll have to come up with a new screen name.

Great job MCC!!

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:57pm
post #907 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC

Oh no. Now I'm sad. icon_cry.gif

And I really liked that MOG, too!

Yes...quite the letdown. I guess someone had too much time on her hands. thumbsdown.gif

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:58pm
post #908 of 1040

Awwe Mel! I'm so glad that even though you think my cakes were done by a "blind monkey" you still like me!

lol, jk. I have been following this like some kind of cake nut and man, I can't believe the lengths people go to to make up a story! It was a good one though-had me going.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:59pm
post #909 of 1040

me, too indydebi, me too

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:59pm
post #910 of 1040

OMG! I am so sad. CC has become a place for this type of stuff lately. Well, shoot, that is disappointing, isn't it. Those cakes are identical, even the backgrounds are.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:59pm
post #911 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC

That's all I needed to see. I, for one, will never believe another word that comes from this person's hand. OP really needs to get a life.

And for anyone who says its okay because it was entertaining... threads like this are why when legitimate newbies come here with legitimate issues, they are met with skepticism or blatantly ignored.

This is supposed to be a site where we can share experiences, tips, help each other learn. If I wanted to spend my time reading a juvenile drama, I'd choose the Twilight series... my 13 yo tells me they're really good.

ETA... If you want to tell a "cake tale" I have no issue with that but put it in the Lounge where these kind of things belong.

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:00pm
post #912 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC

Well I'll be damned........my suspicions proved correct again!! How the heck did you find that?

I bet we never hear back from the OP after this little development. She'll have to come up with a new screen name.

Great job MCC!!

Thanks! After the MOG story, I did a little Google detective work. icon_lol.gif

Deb_ Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:02pm
post #913 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleebug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC

That's all I needed to see. I, for one, will never believe another word that comes from this person's hand. OP really needs to get a life.

And for anyone who says its okay because it was entertaining... threads like this are why when legitimate newbies come here with legitimate issues, they are met with skepticism or blatantly ignored.

This is supposed to be a site where we can share experiences, tips, help each other learn. If I wanted to spend my time reading a juvenile drama, I'd choose the Twilight series... my 13 yo tells me they're really good.

You're right juleebug, I've become very cynical lately when I read ANY thread started by a Newbie, especially when they are as far fetched and full of holes like this one was. thumbsdown.gif

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:03pm
post #914 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karema

Ok those two cakes are exactly the same in lavendar and white. The flowers are even in the same place. Even if she had been given a picture of the white one to follow how did she get it exactly like it? No one is that perfect. I'm not saying that the story is untrue just a little odd. I could see the MOG taking her ring back but why leave the wedding. I would stay and when the preacher asked was there anyone who opposed this marriage I would speak up. Also if the MOG offered to pay I would have taken the cake to the venue. I would want my money because $550 is alot of money to be turning down on principle. I would have taken the cake or told them I had other deliveries and they could pick the cake up. Also I have transported a 4 tier wedding cake and it was so nerve wrecking. Do people actually transport 6 tier wedding cakes? How would it fit in the car or van? Do they have a delivary van for this? OK I have alot of questions now. If the story is true than good for you OP for standing up for yourself and thank God you didnt get stiffed on your money and end up with no cake!

The person who posted those photos together photoshopped the white cake because they thought that maybe the OP had photoshopped her picture from an all white version. This would be true if you could photoshop the yellow centers of the roses...

I think we're stretching here just because we don't have every single detail. I have never ordered a cake from Wal-Mart so I have no idea what their cake boxes look like but I probably would have assumed that the boxes had some sort of hint of Wal-Mart on them as well...

I think we're all reading into the situation out of paranoia!! I could be wrong...but I doubt it...

Tammi

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:03pm
post #915 of 1040

I just have to wonder, why bother making something like that up? What a weird hobby icon_razz.gif

Too bad, it was amusing anyway. At least we all got a little education on how check pullbacks work!

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:05pm
post #916 of 1040

Wow, did she really have nothing better to do than write a story, search the internet for some obscure Australian cake and photoshop it? Wow, OP, your life must be super boring to make up fake lives.

To who ever found the photograph, that is amazing! There are millions of cake photos on the internet and you came across it. Good job!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:05pm
post #917 of 1040

"Once upon a time, there was a cake lady with too much time on her hands and not enough excitement in her life. So she decided to spin a fantastic tale..."

Someone can take it from here.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:07pm
post #918 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC

Looks like I posted too soon!! Great detective work on this one....

Where do we draw the line????? If I don't believe someone I feel like I am being too suspicious but then we're a bunch of gullible fools if we do....I HATE LIARS!!!!!!!!!

It was entertaining though...how about it everyone?

Tammi

Deb_ Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:08pm
post #919 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I just have to wonder, why bother making something like that up? What a weird hobby icon_razz.gif

Too bad, it was amusing anyway. At least we all got a little education on how check pullbacks work!

Making up a story like this is not exactly great advertisement for her business is it? Would you ever recommend this girl to anyone? No way! What a fool, she just discredited herself and her business in my eyes.

If you guys live in her area, I'd advise all brides to stay away from her business. In fact I'd print this thread out before it gets deleted and show it to all prospective brides thinking of using her. thumbsdown.gif

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:08pm
post #920 of 1040

Ok so lets get this to the nitty gritty and I don't mean the band:
A cake, a deposit; a stop payment, an offer of payment, a picture but wait; the picture tells the story. It now appears that we don't have a contractual disagreement but what we have is the possibility of a copy write infringement.
Someone may need to get themselves a good lawyer.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:09pm
post #921 of 1040

I think it is time to ask Heath/Jackie to delete the entire thread, and also kick the OP off of CC, she doesn't deserve to be a member.

Anybody agree/disagree?

editing to add: After all, she represented someone else's cake as her own, and that is a big no-no.

kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:09pm
post #922 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC

Great job MCC!!

Thanks! After the MOG story, I did a little Google detective work. icon_lol.gif

MCC, great detective work! I'm just wondering how you did it? What question did you ask "google" first? The mind reels!

I have to admit, I'm disappointed, although in one post the OP did mention the bride supplied a picture....but, then again....she also said the photo was taken by her DH. I hate it when someone feels they need to get us all riled up just for kicks! icon_cry.gif

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:09pm
post #923 of 1040

Itoo was rivited to my seat. I was curious about the op in the begining, her rank was newbie so i checked out her photos tab, then, well, was a little diapointed, but thought ok anyways. Went to her website, and thought well she just hasnt updated or my comp is having trouble download full site. there were other things but had no real reason to doubt, until after she posted photo, even my friend said thats a terrible pic., wish she had a better camera. So, after reading how there are holes, heres my list to keep in mind for myself when reading a long drawn out albeit juicy story, check the rank, then check pics, then if applies, check website, and then read along with ev1 else for all the little tidbits.

apprently this has been a great learning experience for all of us, some good some bad, but, in the end it was a great read.

If it is a hoax, wonder how long it took to get all this together and then to have the ba##s to do it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:10pm
post #924 of 1040

On a side note: someone earlier asked how to tell if someone is browsing in the site.

Click on "forum" tab.
Click on any of the forums, for example the Cake Decorating forum.
At the top of the page, above the topics, will be a list of "users browsing this forum".

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:10pm
post #925 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

I think it is time to ask Heath/Jackie to delete the entire thread, and also kick the OP off of CC, she doesn't deserve to be a member.

Anybody agree/disagree?

Completely AGREE!!

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:13pm
post #926 of 1040

This must be what it feels like to be punk'd! icon_lol.gif

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:13pm
post #927 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

Anybody agree/disagree?

editing to add: After all, she represented someone else's cake as her own, and that is a big no-no.

I COMPLETELY AGREE. I even pm'd her saying I was so sorry this happened to her. This really makes me angry that someone could make something like this up.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:14pm
post #928 of 1040

Does this mean I have to go clean the pool now? icon_cry.gif

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:14pm
post #929 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by butternut

Ok so lets get this to the nitty gritty and I don't mean the band:
A cake, a deposit; a stop payment, an offer of payment, a picture but wait; the picture tells the story. It now appears that we don't have a contractual disagreement but what we have is the possibility of a copy write infringement.
Someone may need to get themselves a good lawyer.

Ahh how the story twists and turns icon_rolleyes.gif And you still end up in the same place...jail(or a legal battle maybe)

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:17pm
post #930 of 1040

I'm so annoyed right now. I spent three days reading this stupid thread and then to find out its fake? I mean I did learn somethings about checks. So I guess I would never fall for this. That is why I always demand cash up front two weeks before wedding or no cake and I keep deposit. I dont really start shopping for the materials until I have payment in full. I just feel so stupid for believing this and now I'm all suspicious of people because I trusted people on here and dont understand why make up a lie? oh well I dont think she would be back. I say leave thread up because it will let others know that we are great detectives and dont pull this kind of crap on this site because you will get busted. Let it live on as an example.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%