pianocat Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:49pm

Could it be that the bride thought you would not find out about the cancellation so soon?? Normally you don't. Could be that she was going to have a cake at her wedding and then later you would find out about the check. That is fraud. I would also think if they didn't have the money and you don't bring the cake, she will tell everyone that YOU didn't do what you were supposed to do! I would definitely let the venue know! There are laws in some states that make it illegal to stop payment after the fact for something you have contracted them to do. I would check if I were you.

raynedanser Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:53pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianocat

Could it be that the bride thought you would not find out about the cancellation so soon?? Normally you don't. Could be that she was going to have a cake at her wedding and then later you would find out about the check. That is fraud.




Well you know, that's what I was thinking, too. That she was counting on the OP not finding out in time and still getting her cake.

I just don't understand people sometimes.

aliciag829 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:56pm

I'm thinking the bride was counting her eggs before they were hatched. She probably didn't get her refund check when she thought she would. Like someone else said, she shouldn't buy things she can't afford.

dl5crew Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:09pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald

let us know what happens... what a bad position to be in..... Why do people have to be so thoughtless of others.... especially when we put so much of our selves into these cakes for the brides... it just makes me sick...



This goes way beyond thoughtless! If it's true, the bride is stealing and thought this out beforehand. Theft by deception, maybe?





Obtaining goods under false pretenses. This is a serious crime.

CakeandDazzle Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:10pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianocat

Could it be that the bride thought you would not find out about the cancellation so soon?? Normally you don't. Could be that she was going to have a cake at her wedding and then later you would find out about the check. That is fraud. I would also think if they didn't have the money and you don't bring the cake, she will tell everyone that YOU didn't do what you were supposed to do! I would definitely let the venue know! There are laws in some states that make it illegal to stop payment after the fact for something you have contracted them to do. I would check if I were you.





oh my goodness!! if thats the case that is even MORE terrible!!! some people!! Good thing you have a friend that works at the bank!!!
Maybe the only way to do it is to cash each and every check at the bank of issuance to make sure you get paid.... sad icon_sad.gif

taxlady1 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:11pm

icon_evil.gif I would show up at the reception with an empty cake plate and let that bride know you get what you pay for, but I'm mean like that.

jmt1714 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:13pm

I wouldn't tell the person that your friend at the bank called, because she shouldn't have done that.

christeena Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:14pm

I'd ask your friend at the bank to make copies of her stop payment for you so that you can document everything for a timeline 'cause it sounds like a blatant case of fraud to me, too!! Small claims court should be in your future and since she broke your contract first, I don't know how she could bad mouth you if her 6 tiered cake isn't at her reception!! SHEESH!
NO PAYMENT - NO CAKE!

pieceofcake20 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:15pm

Since she has paid for half, I would cut the cake down the middle and deliver it to her. You pay for half, you get half. Have a happy marriage.

pieceofcake20 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:17pm

I want to see the cake.

mbt4955 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:17pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

I wouldn't tell the person that your friend at the bank called, because she shouldn't have done that.




This is a good point. Confidentiality rules for banks are serious business. I would definitely get copies of all the paperwork from the bank, but I would do it officially and leave your friend out of it. You certainly don't want to jeopardize her job because she was watching out for you.

Crissy_Cakes Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:19pm

My god the nerve of some people....and it just seems like people are doing crap like this more often. Everyone believes they are entitled to something for nothing and feel no remorse for wrong doing anymore. What happened to having a conscience?

I'm persuing my license right now and honest to god, stories like this make me question if I should start my own business. Thank god you had a friend at the bank that was kind enough to tell you about the stop payment. I'm with pianocat, this sounds like this was planned.

ssunshine564 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:20pm

I woud not tell the woman about your friend calling, that could get your friend in a lot of trouble if the bank found out she did that. I really hate that this happened to you.

ssunshine564 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:22pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady1

icon_evil.gif I would show up at the reception with an empty cake plate and let that bride know you get what you pay for, but I'm mean like that.




I agree with taxlady1.

Justbeck101 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:22pm

or you could deliver the cake, then call the cops cause it would be theft of service and she would be arrested......But I don't know since you already know she stopped payment. But I would call the cops.


Just like if you go to a restaurant and eat then leave without paying.

CookieMeister Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:24pm

Can you say breach of contract and promissory estoppel, boys and girls? Sure you can!

I hope she enjoys being summoned to small claims for her wedding present. And dealing with guests who have no cake to eat.

pianocat Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:26pm

I'd like to clarify one thing I said-that" if she doesn't have a cake she'll tell everyone you didn't do what you were supposed to". What I meant by that is- that would be her explanation for having no cake. She will make it 'all about you.' Small claims court for sure.

JillK Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:28pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

I wouldn't tell the person that your friend at the bank called, because she shouldn't have done that.




Why shouldn't she have done that? The bank has to alert you anyway. She just did so more quickly than usual because she knew about the situation. No one learned anything they weren't supposed to know about, after all. (Unless this isn't part of your friend's duties. Then it might be questionable.)

I agree: It wouldn't surprise me if this was premeditated. And isn't that sad? icon_sad.gif

Lady_Phoenix Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:28pm

My bank called me when someone put a stop payment on a check. I think that for some banks at least that's normal business practice. It protects the customer who will have the amount of the check deducted from their balance, and prevents them from incurring overdraft fees.

Jeannem Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:32pm

So f she's messing with the cake lady, do you think she's messing with the florist, caterer, etc.
And what's with ordering a seven tier cake?? That's a lot of cake--how big is this wedding she can't pay for??

Terri05 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:32pm

You have a breach of contract as was stated above. I would document everything.

I would also give her a change to pay by cash the amount owing for the cake so that you can get paid for all your work. If she is not willing to give you cash BEFORE you deliver the cake....then don't deliver. I wouldn't run the chance of taking the cake to the wedding and expecting payment at that time. It would be harder to take the cake away with a crying bride and angry parents.

Good luck and keep us posted. Maybe we should all take a lesson from this. No delivery of cake until the check clears.

Karema Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:34pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady1

icon_evil.gif I would show up at the reception with an empty cake plate and let that bride know you get what you pay for, but I'm mean like that.




icon_lol.gif I am so with you on that one. I was thinking the same thing. I would also put a note on the plate that said "If you dont pay for your cake you dont get cake" NO CAKE FOR YOU!

jenbakescakes Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:40pm

I 100% think this was premeditated. Why wouldn't she say something when she emailed last night or call and say something if she was going to be overdrawn and had to cancel payment because of that? I would not deliver that cake unless someone delivered cash to me by 2:00. Not even half of the cake because the deposit probably just covered your supplies! It is just unbelieveable that someone would do that. So sorry this happened to you!

Crissy_Cakes Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:41pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri05

If she is not willing to give you cash BEFORE you deliver the cake....then don't deliver. I wouldn't run the chance of taking the cake to the wedding and expecting payment at that time. It would be harder to take the cake away with a crying bride and angry parents.




I totally agree....until she coughs up the cash, don't even load the cake into your car. Guranteed if you showed up with the cake and she had no cash in hand, she'd have a million teary-eyed excuses that may or maynot make you feel sorry for her.

Kel1222 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:44pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady1

icon_evil.gif I would show up at the reception with an empty cake plate and let that bride know you get what you pay for, but I'm mean like that.





That'll learn ya!
icon_twisted.gif

gringa Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:44pm

Wow...what a terrible thing! I have only done two weddings, and they were both on the smallish side-for 100. And I know how much time and money I put into both of those cakes! I will certainly be using a contract in the future for wedding cakes, but I can see even with that, you can get burned. I sure hope she coughs up the money. What a waste of your time and money! So sad. Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%