Toba Garrett Moist Yellow Cake Disaster

Decorating By notjustcake Updated 10 Apr 2009 , 1:57pm by notjustcake

notjustcake Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 3

Ok not only did I break them a bit when removing from pan but I'm wondering about rebaking them because the top of the cakes were a nice brown, more brown the my usual cakes so perhaps I over baked (50 minutes) 8"x2 pans I noticed also they didn't rise over the pan so they are a little less than 2" tall and the center of the cakes rose more than the rest of the cake, like it seemed like it was the only thing rising. Did I do something wrong?

2 replies
dlinnane Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 3

My 8" round cakes never take that long to bake. Also, I use the moistened cake strips around the outside of the pan, and it helps keep it more level as it bakes. You can use strips of cotton dish towels instead of buying the, just make sure they are uniformly wet (not dripping) when you pin them to the pans.

SO -- it sounds like your cake got a little... overdone! At least in my oven, at 350 degrees, 35 to 40 minutes usually does it. And then a cooling period of 10 minutes - no more, no less -- before I turn them out onto the cooling racks. And I have found that using a parchment round in the pan helps prevent disasters, too.

Good luck!

notjustcake Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 3

I used the cake strips and parchment paper umm I better bake them again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%