Cake Exposed On The Edges..do You Like The Look?

Baking By Kiddiekakes Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 1:14pm by Kiddiekakes

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 11

You know when you ice a cupcake with a tip and you swirl it around like an ice cream cone...Well some of the edges of the cupcake doesn't get covered...My question is do you think that looks okay.I mean I worry about the cake drying out if the icing doesn't completely cover the cupcake.Sometimes I do my orders a day or so in advance and I've touched the outer cake and it seems dry.Do you think the customers will feel that I haven't covered the cupcake enough?

Laurel icon_wink.gif

10 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 11

As a consumer only, of cupcakes, and an admirer of really well done ones....I personally like the edges exposed. A perfectly executed swirl of frosting, with a bit of cuppy top showing on the edges is what does it for me!

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 11

BTW...until I read the whole post, going on the title only, I was prepared to read about exposed cake edges, like seeing the board exposed. Aiiiiiii! No exposed board! Lol....

Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks Jamie...yeah when I re-read the title I should have worded it a bit different.

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 11

Now I want a cupcake. With a perfect swirl of frosting. And a silver dragee on top. icon_biggrin.gif

EyeCandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EyeCandy Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:35pm
post #6 of 11

I kind of like seeing the cake edge as well, only because it makes identifying the type of cake you're about to consume that much easier. Adds to the anticipation of that first bite. icon_biggrin.gif

Sometimes I frost the entire top and notice my icing will droop a little towards the edges so lately I've been trying to keep it up top only.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:44pm
post #7 of 11

I prefer the cupcake to show, as well. That way I know what kind I am getting. And there is something about the outer edge showing that seems very appealing to the eye!. I don't know. I am probably some kind of cake freak-lol!!!!

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:44pm
post #8 of 11

Kiddiekakes, thanks for asking the round robin on this subject...I've had the same worry! I find a personal struggle between too much frosting, and worrying that I look 'cheap' by not covering the entire top.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:51pm
post #9 of 11

I think it depends on the style of cupcake. Some look great with a little cake showing and some with a lot showing, and some cover all the cake and look just right. I saw some cuppies at Wal Mart the other day that actually made me stopped to look. They were actually very pretty, with a nice round swirl of icing on top and a jelly bean. I like all kinds of looks on cuppies. I have some to make this week for a bake sale at our local indoor pool. Not sure yet what I'll be doing with them but I may just leave a little bit of cake showing.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:10pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Sometimes I do my orders a day or so in advance and I've touched the outer cake and it seems dry.

I've never done it, but I've read on here many times that you should brush the top of the cupcake with simple syrup (equal parts boiling water and granulated sugar) to hold in the moisture. Then, you can do a swirl that doesn't cover the edges.

Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:14pm
post #11 of 11

You know....I think I will try that!!! It just makes sense!! Thanks a bunch!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%