All Or Nothing Policy???

Decorating By elvisb Updated 10 Apr 2009 , 7:37am by Bluehue

elvisb Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:23am
post #1 of 4

It is truly amazing how many brides want me to make a beatiful display for them, but want to buy Walmart cupcakes to feed their guests. icon_confused.gificon_eek.gif I have an all or nothing policy. When I was first in the business, I wanted to get my name out, so I split orders. At one particular wedding, the bride, who had six friends getting married within the year, was asked who made that gorgeous cake. She gave them my name. They all assumed I also made the sheet cakes, and every one of them mentioned how dry the sheets were and just wanted me to know that so I could fix the problem for their own weddings. Yup--problem solved--I didn't make those. But about 300 people think I did. Oops. Reputation burned--and I didn't even do anything!

So, I am wondering how many of you out there also have an all or nothing policy. Is this something you mention to brides if and when they tell you they want someone else to do the sheets? Or is it something you let them know up front before you get started with a consultation?

I now have a checklist of things that I touch base on the second we sit down to a consultation. I let them take it home so they can't come back later and tell me I misled them or forgot to tell them about a policy because it's there in black and white.

3 replies
lostincake Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:36am
post #2 of 4

I'm not yet in business and probably won't be doing wedding cakes right away either but have read a few posts from the forums that recommend this step for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

So when I do go into this as a business, you betcha I'm gonna put this down in my contract and be sure to discuss this at the consult too lol!

JanH Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:36am
post #3 of 4

Here's a previous thread on that subject:
(Some members have contracts stating no outside cakes.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-200221-.html

HTH

Bluehue Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:37am
post #4 of 4

thumbs_up.gif What an excellant thread - and something that alot of newbies to the industry might not even consider.
I believe your policy is a smart/wise one - and agree whole heartedly with you.. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

I have a large wedding order coming up in November - and i stipulated that the cakes the guests see are just as important as the cakes out the back in the kitchen that they don't see - but eat.
And because of that very reason - and as you stated - its all made by me - because my reputation and mt name is what they will either - remember or wish to forget.

Again - A wise thread.
Thankyou.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%