Michele Fosters Fondant

Decorating By cupcakesnbuttercream Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 12:49am by Sugarflowers

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:07am
post #1 of 21

A few questions: 1) Can you use flavored gelatin?
2)Where can i find glycerin?/What does it do?
3) Can i make the fondant without glycerin?
4)Why can't i use a hand mixer?

20 replies
zdebssweetsj Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:32am
post #2 of 21

You can find glycerin at Hobby Lobby or Michael's It will make the fondant more elastic, helps greatly if your fondant is to hard or dry. The fondant is so thick you would not be able to safely handle a hand mixer, even briefly ,until the motor burns up. I don't know about using flavored gelatin, or if there is a substitute for glycerin. Good luck. I just used Michelle Fosters choc Fondant recipe it does taste better than Wilton's I still had to add a lot of extra glycerin to the fondant to be able to roll it out. I'll try it again I'm hoping I just messed up the recipe.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:41am
post #3 of 21

.......bummer......guess i won't be trying that one out anytime soon! I don't have a kitchenaid and don't want to buy a cheaper-version stand mixer(i want something that will last a while), and there is no hobby lobby or michaels here......booooo

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:47am
post #4 of 21

any suggestions for a similar fondant recipe....besides mmf???

cakeandpartygirl Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:59am
post #5 of 21

Maybe you can mix it by hand? It would be a huge mess, I think, but it probably could be done. Maybe you could ask your local pharmacy if they could find food grade glycerin. I don't think that you would want to make it without the glycerin as it would have no elasticity and would be a nightmare to cover a cake. I am not sure about the flavored gelatin though, experiment and let us know how it turns out. And as the previous poster said you would burn out the handheld mixer quickly. Does not your local grocery store carry knox gelatin? HTH

auntiecake Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:59am
post #6 of 21

Michelles will work,but you will need to knead it by hand instead of doing it all in the mixer.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:06am
post #7 of 21

I make Michele's fondant all the time. I don't have a KA. I just mix everything by hand. I put a pound of the PS with the liquid mixture and stir with a wooden spoon or whisk and just continue to add PS until it forms somewhat of a ball. Then I dump it on my work surface and start adding PS and kneading.

Make sure you don't add too much PS because you still have to let it settle overnight. I just added WC to my recent batch and it is just so yummy.

underthesun Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:09pm
post #8 of 21

Make sure you're using Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant and not the updated fondant. There is a mistake in the recipe. The updated recipe calls for 3Tbl of gelatin, but the delicious recipe calls for 2Tbl. I did a lot of experimenting last week and after botching my first fondant and questioning my results on CC, the recipe mistake was realized. My second MFF effort turned out fantastic!

See this forum discussion for additional info.

www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625371-.html

poohsmomma Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:13pm
post #9 of 21

I found glycerin in the pharmacy section of Walmart next to the band-aids. I asked here on CC if it was the same thing, and got a yes. I used it in Michele's recipe and the fondant turned out great, and nobody died.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:53pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeandpartygirl

Maybe you can mix it by hand? It would be a huge mess, I think, but it probably could be done. Maybe you could ask your local pharmacy if they could find food grade glycerin. I don't think that you would want to make it without the glycerin as it would have no elasticity and would be a nightmare to cover a cake. I am not sure about the flavored gelatin though, experiment and let us know how it turns out. And as the previous poster said you would burn out the handheld mixer quickly. Does not your local grocery store carry knox gelatin? HTH

Our grocery didn't have it.....the workers didnt even know what it was icon_cry.gif

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:54pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

I make Michele's fondant all the time. I don't have a KA. I just mix everything by hand. I put a pound of the PS with the liquid mixture and stir with a wooden spoon or whisk and just continue to add PS until it forms somewhat of a ball. Then I dump it on my work surface and start adding PS and kneading.

Make sure you don't add too much PS because you still have to let it settle overnight. I just added WC to my recent batch and it is just so yummy.

Thank you for this useful info!!!

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:56pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun

Make sure you're using Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant and not the updated fondant. There is a mistake in the recipe. The updated recipe calls for 3Tbl of gelatin, but the delicious recipe calls for 2Tbl. I did a lot of experimenting last week and after botching my first fondant and questioning my results on CC, the recipe mistake was realized. My second MFF effort turned out fantastic!

See this forum discussion for additional info.

www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625371-.html

OOOHHHH!!!! Thanks! because the updated recipe WAS the one i planned on using thumbs_up.gif

newnancy Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:18pm
post #13 of 21

FYI: I have a Sunbeam stand mixer & it has more watts (more power) than some of the KA. I haven't yet tried making fondant but I believe that the more power it has is the key. My opinion, not sure if this is true but somebody might could help you on this. Walmart has Sunbeam mixers for $78.00......mine is about 16 years old & think it's on its last leg but it's still working for cakes & buttercream icing. HTH

underthesun Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:25pm
post #14 of 21

FYI using the forum link I sent earlier, chilz822 had a tip about the amount of PS to use. I found this very helpful, being in a high humidity area. I barely needed 3 lbs of PS. it was a little scary not using as much PS as the recipe calls for, but it turned out great. I did read others used the full amount and worked great, so I'm sure it has to do with the weather, here. I'm trying the recipe today, adding 6 oz of white chocolate as suggested by others and the updated version of MFF. icon_smile.gif

FabulousCreationsByIsury Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 7:56pm
post #15 of 21

How can we make Michelle Foster's fondant black/red? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

auntiecake Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 10:45pm
post #16 of 21

Wilton paste or Americana gel work well- You might want to use disposable gloves so your hands dont get stained or you can add when you are mixing if you need that much.

FabulousCreationsByIsury Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 5:10am
post #17 of 21

Thank you for replying Auntiecake. I heard that is hard to get the black/red fondant. Also that if you add too much gel color it will soften the fondant? What do you recommend?

Frankyola Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 5:43am
post #18 of 21

Red and black icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif after a million times trying and trying I finally can make it, for black I make chocolate fondant (Always use Michele's fondant) and then a couple hours before using it I add the black and knead until the color is incorporated, let it rest a few hours and you have it you have to add color until you reach the black but you do not need too much if you are working with brown chocolate fondant.

And red I use Super red from americolor but when I making the fondant when you have the glicerine, corn syrup, butter and all the ingredients ready to mix them with the sugar I add the Super red (for 1 batch I use like 1 little bottle and a little burgundy color and I do not have problems to reach the red that I like, you can see my pictures the car it is Michele's fondant and I colored red, and you can see the black too , I hope this can help you thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

auntiecake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:47am
post #19 of 21

Frankyola is right on on her suggestions. It does stiffen up if you let it set again. Yes, chocolate is a great way to get black and I always use Super Red. Good Luck

FabulousCreationsByIsury Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:35pm
post #20 of 21

Thank you Frankyola and Auntiecakes for replying. I will try it and post my results. One more question Frankyola, how do you make chocolate fondant(MFF)?Do you just add chocolate? TIA...

Sugarflowers Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:49am
post #21 of 21

You can add about 6 ounces of chocolate to the cooking process and you can also add about 1/2 cup sifted cocoa along with the powdered sugar. This will alter the total amount of powdered sugar to the batch.

This and other questions are answered in posts here on CC and on my site www.thesugarfixtoo.com and the recipe with variations is also on this site. Use the recipe that calls for 2 Tbsp. of gelatin.

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%