Charging For Delivering Bouquets?

Baking By HeidiCrumbs Updated 10 Apr 2009 , 5:38pm by cambo

HeidiCrumbs Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:57am
post #1 of 8

For those of you who sell bouquets either from an in-home bakery, storefront bakery or just doing it under the table, do you charge for delivery? I don't know what to do about this when I open. I think people in my town will really like this service, just like a flower delivery, but it's only going to be myself and my mom who will be part-time, so I won't have time to do everything PLUS delivering bouquets. I'm really worried about this. I don't want to hire anyone else, but I don't think I should expect people to come in and pick up their own bouquets. I'm kind of at a loss, what do you all do??

7 replies
cinderspritzer Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:53am
post #2 of 8

Are you planning on delivering cakes?

Are you planning on charging enough to pay for the gas/ vehicle maintenance/ commercial insurance?

What's your delivery range going to be?

I suppose it all depends on weighing checks and balances. Give them the option to pick them up and charge for delivery.

indydebi Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:14am
post #3 of 8

Why DON'T you expect them pick up their own bouquets? icon_confused.gif Is there another business in town that makes bouquets and always delivers them?

Don't assume it's expected. Don't offer it just to be "nice". As stated above, if you're going to do it, you have to charge for your time and vehicle expense. And charging for your time INCLUDES lost opportunity costs, meaning while you're in the van making deliveries, you are NOT in the kitchen making money on cakes and cookies.

So DO figure a delivery fee that will cover your time. If you're short on man-power, DO tell them when you can deliver, not when they WANT it delivered (unless they are willing to pay an add'l rush charge .... consider it your FedEx overnight fee! icon_lol.gif ), such as "We deliver between 2 and 4 ... please be sure someone is there."

And then you offer "It's $75 to deliver, or you can save the $75 if you come by and pick it up ... which do you prefer?"

HeidiCrumbs Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:39am
post #4 of 8

I haven't crunched any numbers for this yet or looked into insurance or liability etc. It will be a licensed in home bakery and I will only offer decorated cookies and possibly some other fancier cookies. My range would be my city limits, like pizza delivery. City is about 60,000 people.

I was thinking that people would call and want to have a cookie bouquet delivered to someone like you would have flowers delivered for a special occasion. Maybe people don't even do this?? I really don't know.

I was thinking mostly for around Valentine's Day and having a dozen rose cookies delivered to someones sweetheart, for example. Wishful thinking?

Maybe since it will be such a small operation it just won't be possible. For the most part I think people will pick them up, I just would like it to be an option for those that want to pay extra for it.

Thanks for your opinions and thoughts!

GeminiRJ Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:44am
post #5 of 8

Are you already licensed? I only ask because then you would know if your area allows people to come to your home to pick up their orders. I know that in my neighborhood, it isn't zoned to allow this. A licensed home baker I know could ONLY make deliveries, as no customers were allowed to come to her home. It was a stipulation of her license.

HeidiCrumbs Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 8

We are already rezoned "B-1 Neighborhood Commercial" which means that in my area of town we can have a business within an area of houses or in our case in our house. So I will have a small retail area where people can come in and buy or pick up orders. I will be licensed in June but am currently waiting for the ground to thaw to dig for a holding tank.

So I thought delivery would be a nice service to offer, but I can't think of another bakery who delivers, but there also isn't another bakery who offers bouquets. I just thought that people would want this service, but like Indydebi said, I shouldn't assume. I guess I won't even know until after I open if this is a service people will want or if they will be OK in delivering their own bouquets. Or if they will even want bouquets for that matter, lol.

GeminiRJ Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 8

Yes, it would be a nice service to offer, and I think there will be those who will take you up on it. You just have to charge for the service. There will be many who will want to save the expense and pick the bouquet up themselves. The plus to delivery is that you won't be sitting around waiting for someone to pick up an order, only to have that person be two hours late. ("What, you aren't open until midnight? Wal-Mart is.")

cambo Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:38pm
post #8 of 8

I operate an in-home bakery and I do charge for deliveries. I have often thought that if I had a store front I would like to continue the service, but would be short-staffed like my solution would be to continue to "offer" it for a fee, and if they want it, all deliveries are made between the hours of X and X. If that works for them, then fine, if not, they can make arrangements to pick it up themselves!

Quote by @%username% on %date%