Ok, I used MFF updated recipe which called for 3 tbsp of gelatin, 3 tbsp of butter and 3 tbsp of glycerin. I was a hair short on the amount of corn syrup but decided to go with it as I didn't want to make another 15 mile trip to get some. I decided to add white choc. chips as the recipe said you could. My liquid went all over my microwave. I was able to salvage most as it has a glass plate and it was clean. So, I was at 1 2/3 c liquid instead of 2 cups when it got done. Again to work on I let it sit and cool and then added to powdered sugar. After only 2 1/2 lbs it is crumbly and won't stick together. It will not go in a ball. Is is salvagable or a total waste?
So, I came here and see there was a mistake on the recipe. It is only to have 2 tbsp not 3. Ugh!! Is there a way to fix it? Because of using 3 tbsp, I only have 1 1/2 tbsp of glycerin left so I don't have enough to make another batch. To get it I have to go 45 miles to our bigger shopper centers.
Help please!!! I need to get this together tonight so I can cover tomorrow.
I'm new at making fondant, but I made MFF last week, using the updated version of MFF. Found out the original version only called for 3pkg or 2 tbl of gelatin. I sent a PM to sugarflowers (michele) asking if there was anyway to save it. She gave me some tips, such as adding glycerin a little at a time, but unfortunately I was unable to save the batch. It did get softer, but I did not have any luck rolling it out. You might try sending a PM just to see if there's anything you can do.
I did make a new batch, using the correct amount of gelatin and it worked fabulous. Hope you're able to save it! Good Luck!
Thanks...I kind of figured it couldn't be saved. My dh is going just south of the city, so he is going to stop and pick it up for me so I can try once again. We'll see what happens the 2nd time around!
I have corrected the recipe. Here is the link: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7446-1-Michele-Fosters-Fondant.html
I'm sorry for the wasted supplies. You could try mixing the bad batch with a good batch.
Michele - no problem, no worries on my end with the recipe mistake. It was a learning experience and my next batch turned out well. I added 6oz of white chocolate to the last batch I made and it was fabulous and so easy to roll out!!
Thanks Michele for the corrected version. I made it a second time with just 2 tbsp which wasn't quite 3 pkgs and it turned out great! It also tasted good. I actually had a couple of my nieces asking for the fondant off of the rkt cake. My dh tried it and said it was so much better than the Wilton I had used for a few decorations in the past. However, he still wouldn't eat it because of the texture issue. I thought it was a great compliment to the rkt.