Mff Updated Recipe...problem After Problem

Decorating By cakes4ck Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 1:28am by cakes4ck

cakes4ck Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:03am
post #1 of 6

Ok, I used MFF updated recipe which called for 3 tbsp of gelatin, 3 tbsp of butter and 3 tbsp of glycerin. I was a hair short on the amount of corn syrup but decided to go with it as I didn't want to make another 15 mile trip to get some. I decided to add white choc. chips as the recipe said you could. My liquid went all over my microwave. I was able to salvage most as it has a glass plate and it was clean. So, I was at 1 2/3 c liquid instead of 2 cups when it got done. Again to work on I let it sit and cool and then added to powdered sugar. After only 2 1/2 lbs it is crumbly and won't stick together. It will not go in a ball. Is is salvagable or a total waste?
So, I came here and see there was a mistake on the recipe. It is only to have 2 tbsp not 3. Ugh!! Is there a way to fix it? Because of using 3 tbsp, I only have 1 1/2 tbsp of glycerin left so I don't have enough to make another batch. To get it I have to go 45 miles to our bigger shopper centers.
Help please!!! I need to get this together tonight so I can cover tomorrow.

5 replies
underthesun Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:29am
post #2 of 6

I'm new at making fondant, but I made MFF last week, using the updated version of MFF. Found out the original version only called for 3pkg or 2 tbl of gelatin. I sent a PM to sugarflowers (michele) asking if there was anyway to save it. She gave me some tips, such as adding glycerin a little at a time, but unfortunately I was unable to save the batch. It did get softer, but I did not have any luck rolling it out. You might try sending a PM just to see if there's anything you can do.

I did make a new batch, using the correct amount of gelatin and it worked fabulous. Hope you're able to save it! Good Luck!

cakes4ck Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks...I kind of figured it couldn't be saved. My dh is going just south of the city, so he is going to stop and pick it up for me so I can try once again. We'll see what happens the 2nd time around!

Sugarflowers Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 6

I have corrected the recipe. Here is the link: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7446-1-Michele-Fosters-Fondant.html

I'm sorry for the wasted supplies. You could try mixing the bad batch with a good batch.

Michele

underthesun Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:09am
post #5 of 6

Michele - no problem, no worries on my end with the recipe mistake. It was a learning experience and my next batch turned out well. I added 6oz of white chocolate to the last batch I made and it was fabulous and so easy to roll out!!

cakes4ck Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:28am
post #6 of 6

Thanks Michele for the corrected version. I made it a second time with just 2 tbsp which wasn't quite 3 pkgs and it turned out great! It also tasted good. I actually had a couple of my nieces asking for the fondant off of the rkt cake. My dh tried it and said it was so much better than the Wilton I had used for a few decorations in the past. However, he still wouldn't eat it because of the texture issue. I thought it was a great compliment to the rkt.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%