Gum-Tex Inedibe To Dogs??

Decorating By ronknee Updated 10 Apr 2009 , 4:46pm by muddpuppy

ronknee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ronknee Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Everyone. I have a quick question regarding Gum Tex.

I had 36 flowers made with fondant and GumTex for my final cake class tomorrow. Needless to say I now only have 18 left as my dog has very cleanly plucked them off of the toothpicks that they were on in the foam on the table.

I know, I know, you're all laughing...I'd laugh too.

My only concern is that i know gum-tex is inedible to humans. Does anyone know if it'll harm dogs?????

3 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:05am
post #2 of 4

Gum Tex is edible to humans (and I assume, therefore, to dogs). It's a natural vegetable gum called karaya. It doesn't taste very good, but it can be eaten. Things made out of it taste a bit like Necco wafers. Whomever told you that people can't eat it is wrong.

Gum Paste flowers are considered edible if they aren't on wires or toothpicks (lollipop sticks or spaghetti are OK) and don't have things like artificial stamens or inedible glitter on them.

I think the dog will be fine. Maybe a tummy ache, but I doubt any other problems.

Rae

ronknee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ronknee Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 4

Great. Thanks Rae.

My Wilton class instructor actually told me that you couldn't eat it. Good to know that it won't harm the little guy.

Thanks again.

Ronnie

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 4

I'm always worried about dog accidents with cake!! Once a few years back, I tossed a baseball sized lump of bright pink fondant into the bin, (I had dropped it on the floor) and then next day, my dog threw up pink runny liquid all over my living room rug. I panicked, rushed him to the vet and bought a trash bin with a lid!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%