Bake Even Strips?

Decorating By pebblez87 Updated 10 Apr 2009 , 2:21am by cylstrial

pebblez87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pebblez87 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 5

well i bought them ive just used them my cake came out perfect and even i guess im just used to to uneven heat and my edges being i guess more crisp or done? these made it so my outside walls felt well sticky and left little crumbs behind in my pan nothing terrible but normally everything comes out clean i barely have to wash a pan i guess what i am asking is it ok that they arent hard crusted edges and bottoms? does anybody understand what im asking ? kinda confused myself

4 replies
2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 5

yes, I under..the sides are flakey, and alittle sticky. it hasnt bothered any of my cakes, BUT...Ive only had like 3 cakes come out like that, all others came out regular.

Maybe it has to do with humidity?? Id like to know also. I love using the baking strips.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 5

I think I understand your question?
I use them a lot, and/or also line my pans with waxed paper or parchment. It sounds like you might have over baked them in the past, and now the metal pan is insulated with the strips. The strips prevent the pan sides from getting too hot and baking the edges first, which makes a "crust" on the edges -am I right? The cake should be evenly baked -the inside of the edges the same as the center and evenly moist and lightly browned on top. You might need an oven thermometer to check if your over is really at 350F, also.

The stickiness and small crumbs are normal, as long as you did the toothpick test in the center and it came out clean. This is why I like to use the waxed paper or parchment on the bottom and edges. It makes the edges smoother and doesn't pull the cake away from the pan to make large amounts of crumbs. I never wash my pans intensely, just a quick rinse to get off the little bit of butter that goes through the parchment.

Now, did I make any sense? LOL icon_smile.gif

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:31am
post #4 of 5

I used to swear by those strips but because of the inconsistency of them - I lowered my baking temperature by 25 degrees and cook the cakes a little longer - I also place a flower nail in the center of the cake pan before I put the batter in (on cakes 10 inches and bigger) - it serves as a heating core - that way the center cooks quicker but not the sides.....

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:21am
post #5 of 5

Just like the others, I love my bake even strips. I won't bake a cake without them! I also use a flower nail for any cakes 10 inches or larger just like BJ. They come out perfect every time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%