I'm So Confused...fancy Foil, Cellophane Or Saran Wrap?

Decorating By FH_Cakes Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 9:00pm by bebea

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 3

Up to this point I have only used Fancy Foil, but I am tired of it. I have seen some posts about using Saran Wrap and Cellophane over gift wrap/scrapbooking paper.... Is this really safe? Wouldn't the knife cut right through the plastic wrap? I need opinions and personal expierences!

Thanks a ton, you all ROCK!!!!!!

2 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 3

If you're using Wilton Fanci-Foil alone, you're fine. If you're using colored florist foils with no barrier between it and the cake, you really must put a barrier between it and the cake/icing--the colors have lead in them.

As for covering other "papers", you can use cellophane or saran, but both are easily cut and can come up with cutting. You can also use clear contact paper, but need to put a barrier (I just put the bottom tier on its own cake board) between it and the cake because it's not food safe, either. I prefer this because the contact is stronger than the other 2 clear coverings.

If the cake is on it's own cake board, it probably doesn't matter what you use, because the major knife action will occur over the board.

HTH
Rae

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 3

i have covered cake boards w/ colored plastic table cloths. the come in most any color you could want. set the cake on a closely trimmed cardboard circle, etc., then attach the cake to the table cloth covered board w/ icing. works great for adding extra room to write msgs on - see my puppy cake in my photos. for some cakes, i just buy platters from dollar tree (everything is only $1!) that match the cake and go from there (my halloween and cars cakes). that way there is no worry about getting the platter back.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%