Ideas For 1St Birthday Cake

Decorating By hollie77 Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 3:00pm by cricket0616

hollie77 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 8

Hello fellow cakers! Just wondering if anyone has some good ideas for a 1st birthday cake? My son will be one in July and I'm starting to think of ideas. I thought about doing a "1" cake from wilton and then baking cookies in the shape of 1's also. Although that's a lot of work, especially with a very busy baby running around the house. I'm also pretty new to baking so don't give me any challenging ideas, because I always think I can make a cake I've seen and it usually turns out nothing like the picture. Any ideas would be great... Thank you! And by the way, we're going to be having a lot of people for the party... possibly up to 35-50. That's why I was thinking cake and cookies.

7 replies
bashini Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 8

Hi, when I read your post, No1 cake came to me staight away too! Like you said, if you use the wilton pan, it will be much easier. Make your cookies few days ahead. If you plan ahead, when you are going to do this, then everything will be easier. icon_smile.gif

hollie77 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 8

So my husband nixed the Number 1 birthday cake idea because he wants it to be sports themed... should've told him at that point to do it himself! So I was thinking of just doing an 11x15 cake and then using the tops of cupcakes as balls on the cake (baseball, basketball, football). I'm not the most creative person so does anyone have any ideas of how to arrange the cake, how many balls to put on it... how to make a football? etc, etc???? Any ideas would help, thank you all!

brincess_b Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 8

you could do a cupcake cake. get lots of cupcakes (as many as u need) and they can make a number 1 shape. and you could do a few types of balls on top, either in fondant or buttercream, depends what you fancy. could do a baseball, football, tennis ball.

if you do a regular cake, i would just use fondant to make the balls, not bother with bits of cupcake. although then you could make cake balls out of the scrap cupcakes.

pattigunter Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 8

What I would do is make a large sheet cake since you have so many to feed and then get some sports themed cookie cutters and cut a football, baseball, basketball, etc out of either fondant or cookie mix and decorate that to put on the top. You could get the Wilton Ball pan and make the birthday a baseball for his smash cake.

want2bcupcakequeen Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:48pm
post #6 of 8

If there are going to be a lot of kids at the party, cupcakes would be easy to serve. You could make cupcake cake and shape it to look like a sports ball or you could decorate each cupcake to look like a sports ball (soccer, baseball, etc.). You could find sport themed cupcake cups/wrappers and sport picks/decorations. Sounds like fun!

pattigunter Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:00pm
post #7 of 8

You could also cut out a #1 from fondant and put it on your sheet cake along with the sports balls - look at the baby enstein cake I did for my granddaughter in my pictures.

cricket0616 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 8

You could take a sheet pan and make a jersey. Decorate with your husband's favorite team in mind and put the #1 as the jersey number.

Quote by @%username% on %date%