Why Won't People Listen?!?

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 3:22pm by kamilla79

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 34

This is a little mean, but it really frustrated me. It's in Disasters because disaster is imminent.
Today I was at a local cake shop picking up some supplies. There was a woman there carrying the round Wilton plastic plates (with the ruffle!!!) and a cake drum. She walks up to the check out and says "Is this all I will need for a topsy-turvy cake?" The clerk looks over her supplies and starts to tell her the types of plates she uses. The lady tells the clerk she is making a 4-tiered T.T. cake for a wedding this weekend, and then the clerk tells her that she will also need dowels.
She says "What do I need those for?" icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif
My mouth hit the floor, and the clerk tells her why you need dowels and that you really need them for a T.T. She also shows her the plate system they use.
They go back and forth over whether or not dowels are important, because this lady says she has made a few cakes and they have NEVER collapsed.
She asks some questions about how to make a T. T cake and they eventually tell her she just needs to take their class.
So the lady comes and joins me at the checkout and I tell her about CC and the article here on T.T. She says "Oh, I read that." icon_confused.gif
I talk to her about SPS and dowels and she tells me that she has made a few cakes and never needed them. I tell her that is a miracle. She asks how you even use dowels, so I tell her how to measure, cut and pull out a cardboard round to show her where they would go on the cake.
She AGAIN says she doesn't need dowels. She also says she isn't setting it up until Saturday morning, so it will be fine. So I tell her "Good luck!"
As I am leaving, I hear her say "Whatever. I'm just going to get these." and hands the clerk the ruffled Wilton plates. icon_cry.gif
Being a novice is one thing, but completely ignore advice from two people? And making a T.T. cake for a wedding without ever doing it before? And refusing dowels?

33 replies
VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 34

woah i would love to be at that wedding, although not the bride. What can you do, you tried to help her, she didnt listen and thats her own stupidity.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 34

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Oh what I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall when that cake falls to the ground and the bride is in tears. Whatever... she dug her own grave.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 34

I'm sorry, but people like that get what the deserve.

She had enough warning, advice, and instruction and is still ignoring it!?!?!!!

Some people are just straight up nuts.

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 34

I would love to see a picture - before and after. I can't even imagine what a before would look like with the ruffles let alone the after not using any type of support. icon_confused.gificon_eek.gif

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 34

At least someone will have time to run to WalMart to buy a cake, because this one won't even make it to the reception. I'll be willing to bet that the bottom teir is completely destroyed when she puts the third teir on...

summernoelle Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:42pm
post #7 of 34

You know what, I even told her bout my T.T. disaster where I used dowels and it still fell. I was trying to tell her what my mistake was and what I learned from that, but could see her thinking "well, your cakes must suck. I know what I am doing." icon_lol.gif Mmmm hmmmm.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:45pm
post #8 of 34

What a flipping idiot! I wouldn't say that if she was just plain ignorant of proper methods, but so arrogantly opposed to using support...LOL! Wow, what a NUTJOB!

summernoelle Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:46pm
post #9 of 34

Come on, Jamie. She's made three cakes. She can DEFY GRAVITY. icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

and I tell her about CC and the article here on T.T. She says "Oh, I read that." icon_confused.gif

icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif Forgot about that comment.....so where are you "She-who-doesn't-need-proper-support"?? Come out come out.....I wanna hear this explanation! icon_confused.gif

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:47pm
post #11 of 34

Well you did your best

summernoelle Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:48pm
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:

and I tell her about CC and the article here on T.T. She says "Oh, I read that." icon_confused.gif

icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif Forgot about that comment.....so where are you "She-who-doesn't-need-proper-support"?? Come out come out.....I wanna hear this explanation! icon_confused.gif

I'm not sure she's a full fledged addict like us. She didn't really seem to recognize CC, just the article.

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:57pm
post #13 of 34

you know I feel sorry for the bride..... icon_sad.gif 'Cause that cake is gonna be REAL topsy- turvy cracky floppy icky messy....

Wait- Maybe her cakes are hard as rock and she doesn't need any support??

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:57pm
post #14 of 34

Maybe her cakes are hard like bricks. That might explain her ignorance.

Edited to add: Wow! Great minds, JanetBme...we were typing at the same time! icon_smile.gif

meganmo27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meganmo27 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:58pm
post #15 of 34

I usually keep my opinion to myself especially with people like that. They don't want your advice and they certainly aren't going to take it. So why make yourself crazy trying to beat something into their head? Sounds to me like she needs to learn the hard way. Unfortunately, this time it will be at the expense of a bride.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:07pm
post #16 of 34
Quote:

Quote:

It was me and the reason I don't need dowels is because I will be making it out of RKT. Who cares that it isn't cake...they won't know until they cut it and I'll have already cashed their check by then.

NOT! Sorry, I just couldn't resist!! Hey Summer, did this shopper have blonde hair and a "semi-homemade" way of doing things? She certainly came to mind.... icon_wink.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:09pm
post #17 of 34

What I would give to be the fly on the wall, poor bride.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:10pm
post #18 of 34

That was my first thought too, jammjenks!

summernoelle Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:11pm
post #19 of 34

ROFL! OMG, it was Sandra Lee! icon_lol.gif

It wasn't so much wanting to shove an idea down her throat as wanting to save her from heart ache. I've been there, with a lack of knowledge or whatever, and had a disaster BECAUSE I DIDN'T KNOW BETTER. It's just the worst feeling and I wanted to run over, hug her, and beg her to listen. icon_lol.gif She didn't come off arrogant as much as completely clueless.

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:18pm
post #20 of 34

I don't suppose you got her name or the name of the bride, the poor girl, expecting a TT cake and getting probably nothing. Now being that I am a snoopy old broad, I might have checked out the reception site, to see what happened to the cake.

__Jamie__ Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:57pm
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Quote:

Quote:

It was me and the reason I don't need dowels is because I will be making it out of RKT. Who cares that it isn't cake...they won't know until they cut it and I'll have already cashed their check by then.

NOT! Sorry, I just couldn't resist!! Hey Summer, did this shopper have blonde hair and a "semi-homemade" way of doing things? She certainly came to mind.... icon_wink.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Sooooooooooo funny!!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:01pm
post #22 of 34

Wow! I'll be keeping a watch on cakewrecks.blogspot.com for this one!

So, let's see, she knows about CC--but hasn't learned a damn thing from it....
She's read the TT tutorial on here (done by no less than BKeith Ryder!) and it somehow doesn't apply to her........
and where in the devil did she ever see ruffled cake plates on a topsy turvy cake????

It's Thurs., the cake is for Sat., and she's just now buying (the wrong) plating system for it--so I take it that she hasn't even begun baking yet????

Well, you can lead a horse to water.........

That poor, poor bride! People like this give good cake bakers/decorators a bad name.

Let's hope that good sense kicks in and she just make 4 nice tiers displayed on 4 ugly ruffled plates...........

Rae

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:22pm
post #23 of 34

Someone pls find out what happened to that cake, we need a tutorial on how to defy gravity too icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:43pm
post #24 of 34

I think Summer needs to play Sherlock Holmes, and dig around to find this wedding.....WEDDING CRASHER! (with her super-stealth spy camera!)

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:50pm
post #25 of 34

I'm pretty sure it's the cake that's the wedding crasher here! icon_razz.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:54pm
post #26 of 34

Yeah, but Summer could crash the wedding, and take some pics for us and maybe a nice one for Cakewrecks!

summernoelle Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 10:12pm
post #27 of 34

Shoot-if I was thinking on my toes, I would have tried to pry it out of her. Now worries, though, I am sure we will soon see it here in this forum. icon_lol.gif

Jamie, have I ever told you your avatar is my favorite ever? I want to put that on my website.

__Jamie__ Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 10:15pm
post #28 of 34

icon_eek.gif Really??? Oh man....I think yours is like the most spectacular EVER! How funny! icon_lol.gif

summernoelle Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:28pm
post #29 of 34

Nope, not possible! Yours is cooler. icon_cool.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:35pm
post #30 of 34

SUH-WEEEET! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%