What Happens To Gumpaste In The Refrigerator?

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 10 Apr 2009 , 8:02pm by springlakecake

springlakecake Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 7

What will happen to gumpaste decorations in the refrigerator? Is it really humid in the refrigerator? I always thought it was dry. I have a cake that I made that wont be eaten until saturday night. It is iced in SMBC...so I feel like it is a bit on the threshold for leaving it out. But there is a gumpaste bow on it. Not sure what to do.

6 replies
springlakecake Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 7

Well I answered my own question. It isnt good thumbsdown.gif I put a piece of bow loop in there for a couple of hours and it was all soft and sticky. It may not have been 100% dry, but I did make it almost 2 days ago.

courtney1009 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 7

I have put my gum paste decorations in the fridge with no problems. I've never left them in there for more than a day though (I don't know if that matters) and they are always really dry before hand. You might want to give it another try. I also haven't had any problems with 50/50 gum and fondant.

springlakecake Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 7

After about an hour it was already getting sticky. It may not have been 100% dry though. Maybe I will experiment again sometime, but until then I am going to avoid it!

drakegore Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 7

i experimented in my fridge last month because i had a gumpaste dogwood cake (smbc with gumpaste decorations) that i needed to refrigerate.

i made up a sample and stuck it in the fridge and checked regularly for over 48 hours and neither the fridge nor the smbc affected the gumpaste.

my flowers were completely dry. maybe, as you suspect, that was the difference.

p.s. my flowers were smack dab on the smbc and that moisture didn't bother them (though i thought it would).

step0nmi Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 7

I've had this problem before...it is when the decorations weren't fully dry. Basically, the gumpaste is going to soak up the moisture when it is still wet inside.

springlakecake Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 7

thanks, I will try it again sometime

Quote by @%username% on %date%