Help Needed Quickly! Dome Cake To Feed Around 20???

Decorating By QueenOfSweets Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 7:29pm by cakelady31

QueenOfSweets Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 5

I have had an inquiry regarding a dome-shaped cake to feed around 20 people. I have the Wilton Sports ball pan and the Wilton Soccer pan, but neither of these have that many servings. I've also tried to figure out a way to bake this in one of my stainless steel or pyrex bowls but can't come up with that many servings. The customer has said he'd like a few more than 20 because they tend to cut pieces a little bigger.

Does anyone have any ideas for how I can achieve a dome-shaped cake that will serve just over 20 people? My only other thought was to stack two 10"x2" rounds and then carve the dome shape. The two-layer 10" would have 38 Wilton servings, but by the time I carve it to be domed there would be fewer - the question is how many servings would I end up with after it's carved???

I'd appreciate any help or ideas you could give me. I have to get back with this customer right away!

4 replies
cakelady31 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 5

oh boy.... do you have a larger stainless steel bowl? You know the ones that are kinda lite weight and usually come in all different sizes.? If not maybe you could get one at a discount store like a dollar store.

brincess_b Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 5

could you put it on a plinth? is that the word? like cake underneath, displaying the dome?
it could be an imperfect dome, bake a thin round, for underneath the dome to add cake?
could make an extra small round or cupcakes for them. if you have a mini ball pan, it could be mini domes.
the carving might work, you wont be getting rid of half the cake, so you would at least have 20. i find it hard to figure these thing out though.
xx

QueenOfSweets Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 5

Both of those are fantastic ideas - thanks for replying so quickly!

Cakelady - upon reading your reply I remembered that I did have a larger stainless steel bowl that I recently got and had forgotten about. It's 16" around and 6" deep, which is bigger than any of the others I had. I drew out a template that will allow me to make a cake in it that is 10" across. I've drawn out a cake cutting guide that will yield 24 servings, which should be perfect.

brincess - yes, I do believe that's what it's called and that is a great idea as well. It may be something else that I try too and my family can eat whichever method I don't go with. You can never have too much cake!!

Thanks again for your assistance.
Alysa

cakelady31 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 5

Your very welcome! Glad I could help and good luck with your cake! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%