What Are Flower Paste And Silk Paste?

Decorating By AuntEm Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 10:34pm by BlakesCakes

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 4

How are they different from gum paste? I saw them for sale on global sugar arts. I've never heard of them before so I was wondering if they would be better for gum paste flowers.
Thanks,
Emily

3 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 4

They're very high grade gum pastes that can be rolled extremely thin for very life-like flowers.

I've used both and love them. They're pretty pricey, so I only use them for special things.

If you purchase them, read the instructions carefully, because some of them can be ruined if you knead crisco into them.

HTH
Rae

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks! Do you have a preference between them?

By the way I just looked at your pictures. icon_eek.gif
You do GORGEOUS Cakes! I love those Australian/ Lambeth ones, and the Victorian dream and... and.. ALL of them! icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif if I could only do cakes like that when I grow up icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 4

icon_redface.gif Gee, thanks for the kind compliments!

I really love the Silk Paste by Marcela Sanchez. It comes in little plastic pots and it goes an amazingly long way. The colors are beautiful, too.

When you wire petals, you get some working time to manipulate them and it doesn't fray as easily when you use the ball tool on it.

It's a bit expensive for just practice, but once you're confident in your construction, it allows you to make gorgeous flowers.

Happy Decorating!
RAe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%