I Was Kind Of Evil ;)

Decorating By MnSnow Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 8:07pm by MnSnow

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 23

I had a bride contact me to make their wedding cake. As time went by, their budget decreased due to circumstances beyond their control. I can relate and understand. One of the final emails I recieved from them was they were not going to have a cake at their wedding due to finances.

I really liked the couple and felt terrible for them, so I offered to help them with it. They buy all the ingredients, come to my home and I would help them with it. They were so happy and excited.

After baking and starting to decorate the cake, the groom made the comment that the ingrediants cost them $63.00 and I just smiled at him. They were under the assumption that they would be all done with the entire cake after 3 hours. I chuckled and shook my head. 7 hours later it was completed and I was exhausted. They were getting married in the morning so I sent them on their way with instructions for their cake.

I recieved an email from them a couple days after their wedding thanking me and saying how awesome it all turned out and wanted my permission to rave about me and my business on their blog. I was flattered of course I gave permission.

Not only did I feel good about this act of kindness, lay people learned about how much time, effort and sweat goes into their creations and now they're telling everyone!!

It was a win-win situation all the way around!

22 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 23

Good for you! It was a tough lesson learned, but now they can look back and know that they didn't miss out on a beautiful cake!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 23

Awesome! You're my kinda girl. icon_wink.gif

I was almost expecting the ending to be a free cake because you felt sorry for them and they ended up with this lavish wedding. It's so wonderful to hear a story about the goodness in people!

jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 23

That was sooo sweet of you. I believe in Karma and when you do good things, good things come your way also.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 23

not evil at all, I think you're kind of a sweetheart icon_biggrin.gif

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 23

That is fantastic! You never know...you may have inspired a couple of future decorators.

kakeladi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi2 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 23

So what was evil about that?????
Nothing but good. An random act of kindness deserves a blessing that you are sure to get.
My only reservaton about the whole thing is that you are going to get more people wanting to do the same thing rather than buy from you icon_sad.gif

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 23

That was such a great story! Not only did you help them out in a time of need(who doesn't have cake at a wedding), but you also gave them time together right before the wedding to do something for each other. I love that idea. Most brides get so caught up in the planning, they don't see thier soon to be hubby much in the days before. So I bet they will always remember that, and cherish the time they made their own wedding cake together! icon_wink.gif

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:13pm
post #9 of 23

What a neat story!

~Sarah

MnSnow Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:18pm
post #10 of 23

It was evil in the way it came about...I had felt they were trying to get something for nothing by making me feel sorry for them. I have had soooo many try to get something for nothing ( a Duff cake with Wal Mart price) and it turned out well and I feel good about it.

Thank you for all your kind comments icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 10:20pm
post #11 of 23

You are definitely not evil! wow, that hopefully was a pay it forward moment for the bride and groom.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:44am
post #12 of 23

That was such a nice thing for you to do! Most people would have said, "no money, no cake". I think that's awesome that you helped them out on their special day!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:53am
post #13 of 23

Wow--that's awesome. What a sweet thing to do.

Crissy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissy_Cakes Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:40am
post #14 of 23

Evil? Where do you get that you were being evil?
My god woman your act of kindness nearly brought a tear to my eye. That was so very sweet of you to do that and I hope god graces you with many thanks in return through that couples blog.
icon_biggrin.gif

SliceTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SliceTheCake Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 12:42pm
post #15 of 23

How nice of you! icon_biggrin.gif Great story!

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:22pm
post #16 of 23

Now i'm disappointed. Here I thought I was going to read this evil story and really it is one of the nicest things a person could have done! Kudos to you for showing them 1. how hard your job really is and 2. a wonderful experience for this couple to tell all their friends and their future children. What kind of decorations did you do? Any chance in posting a pic?

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:35pm
post #17 of 23

Aww that was so sweet of you

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:37pm
post #18 of 23

You are the kind of person I love to have as a friend, the world has become so ugly and full of hate. Its truly a blessing as to what you did, May you continue to have such blessings in your life.

What goes around, does come around. And you did something wonderful.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:46pm
post #19 of 23

That is a precious story, and you're obviously a precious person. And yeah.......this will come back around to you! Thanks for sharing!

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:02pm
post #20 of 23

Wonderful story! You're were so sweet to do this. I wish more people would be like you & we'd all be better off.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:02pm
post #21 of 23

7 hours of your time . . . $140

Kitchen and appliance use . . . $25

Sharing your expertise . . . $200

The experience that you all shared, the kindness you showed, the beautiful cake with a wonderful story that will live on for years to come . . . priceless. thumbs_up.gif

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:03pm
post #22 of 23

The memory they'll have is what really makes this story great. Way better than if they could've afforded the cake to begin with! Do you have a pic of the cake?

MnSnow Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 8:07pm
post #23 of 23

You guys are so nice icon_smile.gif

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the cake. Bride and groom were so happy with the experience and the cake tho.

It was a two tier stacked heart shaped with red heart cut outs. It was a Valentines Day wedding and their colors were red and white (of course lol)

I know they have already booked a date for their first anniversary cake icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%