Is Massa Fondant Worth The Money?

Decorating By lorrieg Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 11:51pm by lorrieg

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 17

Could I get some feedback on this fondant? I see it comes in neutral, white or chocolate and it's quite expensive. The pails are only 6 kg/13 lbs. I won't have a chance to try it before I buy some and figure that there are at least a few of you on CC that have used/tasted it. icon_confused.gif

16 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 17

I've read nothing but good things, but haven't tried it myself...

lorrieg Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 17

I've read good and bad things that is why I thought maybe someone that had used it might give an opinion- good or bad.

foxymomma521 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 17

I think snarkybaker uses it... try pming her

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 17

As someone mantioned yesterday, it's not that it really costs so much, it's the quantity you are required to order. It isn't that much more than Satin Ice if you break it down by quantity. So I'm told. Either way, I'm so happy with MFF I probly wouldn't go to the trouble of ordering it.

But, curiosity usually gets the best of me, and Iwill one of these days! icon_biggrin.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 17

I use it and love it. It is VERY resistent to tears and elephant skin. you can strecth it a lot and work it for a long time before it starts to go nutty on you. It repairs well if you do ding it up. It does not sag and do weird things on the cake after being on there a while like others do.

It is soft, and takes a little getting used to. but def the best performing. I use it only for covering cakes and use the cheaper stuff for all the decos.

HTH

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:40pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

I use it and love it. It is VERY resistent to tears and elephant skin. you can strecth it a lot and work it for a long time before it starts to go nutty on you. It repairs well if you do ding it up. It does not sag and do weird things on the cake after being on there a while like others do.

It is soft, and takes a little getting used to. but def the best performing. I use it only for covering cakes and use the cheaper stuff for all the decos.

HTH

Where do you order it from Sharon?

sugarshack Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 17

http://www.auiswisscatalogue.com/1_ENROBING/Cake+Enrobing.html

i have used neutral (more translusent and not pure white) and americana (opaque white) but not the white choc

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 17

Massa handles wonderfully and tastes good, but I prefer Satin Ice due to the fact that I can get it pre-colored and I use their base colors to blend any color I need without dealing with the mess of pastes and gels or risking the integrity of the fondant when I need a deep dark color.

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:17pm
post #10 of 17

Holy Schmoly!

I'd love to try a bit of this, but it is at least double the price of satin ice. I just got a 20lb bucket for $46 and this is over $70 for 13 lbs. Gonna have to skip it for now, but I would like to taste it.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:18pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

http://www.auiswisscatalogue.com/1_ENROBING/Cake+Enrobing.html

i have used neutral (more translusent and not pure white) and americana (opaque white) but not the white choc

The white chocolate is very good but is very ivory - really more like a very pale yellow, like good-quality real white chocolate.

lorrieg Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:43pm
post #12 of 17

The way I'm going to have to buy it it is going to be not double but way more than my regular fondant.

It's good to know that the white choc is quite yellow.

I think I'm going to have to try it. With the shipping it comes to about $1.1 million a bucket. OMG, what if I love it????? icon_lol.gif

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:46pm
post #13 of 17

With the shipping it comes to about $1.1 million a bucket. OMG, what if I love it?????

OMG-that is so funny!! $1.1 million.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sugarshack Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:47pm
post #14 of 17

if u buy $185 or $195 ( 4 buckets you get free shipping) i buy it save it for the " important cakes"

lorrieg Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:09pm
post #15 of 17

Sharon, they never give free shipping to Canada. I understand that it does cost more but it would be nice to be offered a credit towards the shipping. It does cost them something on US orders.

I can get it from a shop here near Toronto but it's $90 Cdn for the neutral with no shipping. That's about $72 Usd per bucket. I may have to check into getting it from the US.

I just really, really want to try some, so I guess I'm going to have to sit on a street corner with a cup and ask strangers for "fondant" money. You know, it might just be cheaper to stick to snorting PS. icon_twisted.gif

foxymomma521 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:19pm
post #16 of 17

fondant source ships to canada... try calling them

lorrieg Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:51pm
post #17 of 17

I will try them. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%