Smooth Edges Using Smbc

Decorating By aswartzw Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 7:21pm by aswartzw

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 4

I know there have been tons of posts on SMBC lately and hate to add another but I did another cake last night and was pretty happy with how it turned out. Until I got to the edges. It seemed the more I worked on them, the worst they looked and they were ragged. Plus everytime I worked on the edging, the sides needed touched up.

I was so annoyed. icon_mad.gif Does anybody have a good technique for the edges?

3 replies
danasflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danasflowers Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 4

Remember to breathe.. icon_smile.gif What helps me is working the sides of the cake first when I am ready to get it smooth. This will force a small amount of icing up a bit over the cake. I use my hot spreader and starting at the opposite side of the cake, use the hot angled spatula and pull slowly in toward the middle. that way you can see what you are doing. Breathe... do it slow... it is angled toward the surface. Opposite side... slowly pull toward center. Turn the cake, get the blade hot, angle it... slowly pull toward center...

Hope that helps,

D

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by danasflowers

Remember to breathe.. icon_smile.gif What helps me is working the sides of the cake first when I am ready to get it smooth. This will force a small amount of icing up a bit over the cake. I use my hot spreader and starting at the opposite side of the cake, use the hot angled spatula and pull slowly in toward the middle. that way you can see what you are doing. Breathe... do it slow... it is angled toward the surface. Opposite side... slowly pull toward center. Turn the cake, get the blade hot, angle it... slowly pull toward center...

Hope that helps,

D

This is how I do it as well. Get the sides as smooth as possible and then use a mini offset to square off the top edges by smoothing in towards the center of the cake (although I keep my mini flat, rather than angled, but that's a minor difference in technique). Just remember that after EVERY swipe in, to clean off that blade/spatula.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks guys! I was so happy because I got my sides to be gorgeous and then the top wouldn't cooperate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%