Is It Possible To Make A Good Buttercream With All Butter?

Decorating By brittanydear Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 11:29pm by jennym0904

brittanydear Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 17

Hey Guys,
If anyone can help me, I know it is my cakecentral pals. I am looking for a buttercream that is all butter. Ideally, I would like it to crust, but this is not a requirement. It must, however, be good for decorating (it will not be out in the heat).
I am planning on making the standing cake bear pan for my daughters bday. Also, does anyone know what cake recipe (not from a mix) is good for the bear pan?
Also, will the cooking spray with flour in it work well to coat the pan, or should I do it by hand. Thanks a BILLION!!!! I know, I have several qustions, but any help I can get on them would be great! I am trying to make a little koala for my 2 year olds bday.
Brittany

16 replies
ibmoser Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 17

Hmmmmmm... okay, get us started on the butterceam. Do you mean a SMBC or IMBC or do you mean the Wilton type with fat and powdered sugar as the base? The SMBC and IMBC will not crust but will taste very much like butter and can be piped. These are more temperature-sensitive than the Wilton (or Southern LOL) type. I do make that type with all butter as the fat ingredient, and it does crust lightly and can be piped. It is not white-white due to the slight yellow color of butter and is more heat-sensitive than all shortening or even half butter, half shortening. A standard pound cake recipe would be a good recipe to use in the pan (see recipe section), and the spray product containing flour is my preference. Maybe someone else will come along and add to this ...

bashini Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 17

Hi, I always use all butter buttercream. The ratio is 1:2 butter and powdered sugar. If you are using 250g of butter add 500g of powdered sugar. You 1-2 teaspoons of vanilla or other flavours to your taste. It does crusts and you can pipe. icon_smile.gif

Sorry I cannot help you with the other wuestions though! icon_sad.gif

kansaswolf Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 17

I only use butter in my buttercream, never crisco... 2 sticks of butter, 2 lbs of PS, 1-2 tsp flavoring and milk added to get to the right consistency. It crusts, it tastes great, and it's easy!

Starkie Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaswolf

I only use butter in my buttercream, never crisco... 2 sticks of butter, 2 lbs of PS, 1-2 tsp flavoring and milk added to get to the right consistency. It crusts, it tastes great, and it's easy!

Ditto with me. I only use all butter ~ can't stand Crisco!

lorrieg Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 17

I just made a fresh batch of Swiss MBC this morning and I had forgotten how easy it was to make. It is so light and fresh tasting. I have some family cakes to make and they won't need a crusting buttercream. I usually use Sharon's.

I didn't put in any flavour and divided it in thirds. Then I put Godiva white chocolate liqueur in one section for today's cakes. For a child's birthday I would think a little vanilla would be nice. Or banana. I'm doing tomorrow's batch with that.

Oh, when you are licking out the bowl, try not to get your head stuck or gobs of icing in your hair. It's a dead giveaway that you have an icing habit. thumbs_up.gif Oh yes, apparently more than a cup left in the bowl to lick out makes you shhh.gif a hog shhh.gif Go figure.

bethola Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 17

I've used all butter with PS AND I did Duff's recipe for French Buttercream ONCE! It was ALL ABOUT BUTTER let me just say. But, the client LOVED it and she used to decorate cakes as well. So, as long as she was happy, I was happy.

Now, having said that I also have clients that only want CRISCO "buttercream". Isn't that funny? They call it my "normal" icing. Probably because they were and ARE my guinea pigs for icing recipes and they got to eat all my Cake Decorating Class Cakes. Different strokes for different folks!

Beth in KY

sweet_teeth Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:25pm
post #8 of 17

I only use all butter as well, or some hi-ratio shortening (3:1 butter to hi ratio) that ends up being like an all-butter buttercream.

To the poster referring to Wilton buttercream.. it's more widely known as American Buttercream icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:26pm
post #9 of 17

Yay LorrieG! Another SMBC convert!

OP-it won't crust like you said you don't necessarily need anyways, but you'll love it. No mess from powdered sugar either!

lorrieg Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:29pm
post #10 of 17

Jamie, you are right! I hadn't even thought about that. Bonus!!!

LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:38pm
post #11 of 17

I make SMBC which is all butter & my preference, cause of the lightness & not over powering butter taste. There is also American buttercream which is the old fashion powdered sugar & butter. Then there is French buttercream which I don't like. It taste like flavored butter. The differnce between French & Swiss Meringue is French is syrup & egg yolks (no whites) & Swiss is syrup & egg whites. As light as SMBC may seem, it can actually hold a good amount of liquor/chocolates/curds & a lot of other things to change the flavor. Definitly go with Baker's Joy for your pan. It will cover the entire area much better then you could by hand & they pop right out. I hope this helps & please, let us see the pics.

forthwife Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:40pm
post #12 of 17

I have a question about SMBC and IMBC. I've only had it once (at a cake competition with a tasting) and it tasted like I'd taken a bite from a solid stick of butter (salted butter at that!). I was very dissapointed. Is it supposed to taste like that? The reason I wonder is the lady's cake won "best tasting" cake. Thanks in advance for help with my question!

Arainna Forth

__Jamie__ Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:48pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthwife

I have a question about SMBC and IMBC. I've only had it once (at a cake competition with a tasting) and it tasted like I'd taken a bite from a solid stick of butter (salted butter at that!). I was very dissapointed. Is it supposed to taste like that? The reason I wonder is the lady's cake won "best tasting" cake. Thanks in advance for help with my question!

Arainna Forth

Yep, alot of people say this. I use Jkalman's (from this site) recipe exclusively. I have never had that "too buttery" taste. It may because of all the vanilla that goes in, but then again it isn't too vanill-y either. Maybe the counter each other.

I know the colder the icing is, the more buttery it tastes. I know if you use salted butter, it won't taste as good as it should. I usually add a bit more sugar to the icing than it calls for too...perhaps that helps.

forthwife Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:53pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks for your response Jamie. I appreciate it!!

lorrieg Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 10:16pm
post #15 of 17

I use Toba's recipe. UNSALTED butter, egg whites, granulated sugar, flavouring.

It's not salty and at room temperature it's not too buttery. The harder it gets the more it feels like butter, but is that so wrong??? icon_lol.gif

Sweet_Guys Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 10:34pm
post #16 of 17

Our recipe is YUMMY, too! We use a 2 lb bag of sugar, 2 tbsp meringue powder, 24 ounces butter, and enough water to get it to the consistency you want. If you want chocolate, melt some coating chocolate and add to the buttercream mixture at the end. It tastes like a chocolate malted.

Good luck!

Paul & Peter

jennym0904 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:29pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanydear

Hey Guys,
If anyone can help me, I know it is my cakecentral pals. I am looking for a buttercream that is all butter. Ideally, I would like it to crust, but this is not a requirement. It must, however, be good for decorating (it will not be out in the heat).
I am planning on making the standing cake bear pan for my daughters bday. Also, does anyone know what cake recipe (not from a mix) is good for the bear pan?
Also, will the cooking spray with flour in it work well to coat the pan, or should I do it by hand. Thanks a BILLION!!!! I know, I have several qustions, but any help I can get on them would be great! I am trying to make a little koala for my 2 year olds bday.
Brittany

i would use shortening and flour to coat the pan- esp if there's a lot of crevices (??)/details. i've used the spray and flour on a blues clues pan once and it stuck in the little spaces. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%