Why I Occasionally Do Fondant

Decorating By CNCS Updated 10 Apr 2009 , 3:36pm by jmt1714

CNCS Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 12

I had a customer come by wanting a fondant cake for her 3 year old.

Her mother is whith her and they are looking at all the pics I have and the whole time the mother is saying no you need only butter cream or whipped frosting.

She ignores her and after a while she gets really forceful with her daughter about how much it coast.

Finally the daughter asks her what her problem is about fondant and she said its only for show, tastes awful and its in the same catagory as the red wax on cheese wheels. Has no purpose but to keep it fresh.

I told the girl call me when you decide.

I was staying out of that family fued.

11 replies
RobzC8kz Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 12

Wow. Sounds like the Mother needs an education on fondant! To say that fondant has no greater purpose than red wax on a wheel of cheese just goes to show her absolute ingorance of fondant and modern cake decorating. To say that whipped cream is preferrable to fondant is so old school it's not even funny!

I get lots of business from customers who want a fondant cake but so many "old school" bakers and decorators swear against it! I've had so many customers come to me with pictures of cakes that other non-fondant decorators swear can ONLY be done in BC!! And the cakes in the photos are obviously covered in FONDANT!!

Those decorators are not keeping up with current techinques and trends and, thankfully, the customers know it. More business and $$$ for us!

FromScratch Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 12

Next time have a sample handy so you can plug the mom's pie hole with it. icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Seriously... so many fondnt options out there are great tasting, and if not for the texture I think most people would really like fondant.

ThreeDGirlie Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 12

Yeah, the people in my (rural) area aren't big on fondant either. I take a cake to my monthly mom's group meeting, and in February I did fondant patchwork conersation hearts... Half of the people that took cake didn't even want to TRY the fondant. Most people did end up trying it and LIKING it... Because I made homemade white chocolate fondant and didn't use Wilton!

But FWIW my own husband picks fondant accents off my cakes. Doesn't like to "chew" his icing. To each their own!

solascakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 12

CNCS good luck with them,make sure you don't have anything loose they can throw around when they come again.

bebea Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 12

crazy...but i get it. i prefer fondant, my mom is an icing woman. she has just recently gotten into fondant and gumpaste for accents and flowers. i use fondant for most everything! i have never been real handy w/ icing for flowers and everything, fondant works better for me. as for taste, its a 50/50 split around here. one of my classic moments - forgot to put the icing on the cake before laying on the fondant! everyone thought it was funny - i just put the icing out w/ the cake when we cut it for whoever wanted it!

aggiechef Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:08pm
post #7 of 12

bebea - that totally sounds like me and my mom... icon_smile.gif She doesn't like working with fondant at all, but is currently making her first gumpaste flowers (sunflowers) for a wedding cake. I prefer to cover a cake with fondant because I like the way it looks, and people know that I use good tasting fondant.

Glad to know that my mom and I aren't the only ones like that. icon_smile.gif

CNCS Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:23am
post #8 of 12

I wished when they left I could spy on the conversation on the way home...I wonder if she had a bad experience with fondant and now hates it.

I hope I hear back soon. maybe she'll come alone next time.

Geez I just realized the typos in my post. Sorry.

indydebi Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:24am
post #9 of 12

I also walk right back into the kitchen and pull some Choco-Pan out and let them taste it. Most of them find it "ok", but still prefer their cake to be BC'd.

I just realized the other day that I only have one fondant display cake out, so I got a new supply of dummies and will start working on getting some of those set out to give brides an idea.

I'll bet anything that mom had NEVER actually eaten fondant before and was just repeating whatever the Kitchen Table Gang had said to her.

FromScratch Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:38am
post #10 of 12

I also think that people think that their cake will just have fondant on it and no buttercream. I don't know about you, but I put a full layer of buttercream on a cake before I put fondant on it so that there is icing for those who choose to not eat the fondant. Once people hear that they tend to feel better about having fondant on their cake.

adven68 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:18am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I also think that people think that their cake will just have fondant on it and no buttercream. I don't know about you, but I put a full layer of buttercream on a cake before I put fondant on it so that there is icing for those who choose to not eat the fondant. Once people hear that they tend to feel better about having fondant on their cake.

yeah. me too. I've said this before...that I've never heard of NOT putting a full layer of BC before the fondant. It is more for the look...but it's not an either bc or a fondan caket....to me, it's either bc or bc with fondant

jmt1714 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:36pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobzC8kz

Those decorators are not keeping up with current techinques and trends and, thankfully, the customers know it. More business and $$$ for us!

in fairness, the use of fondant isn't anywhere near "new." It's popularity in the US is "newish" but fondant has been used as a cake covering for ages elsewhere.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%