Where To Buy Fda Approved Foil Other Than Wilton???

Decorating By FH_Cakes Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 3:04am by BlakesCakes

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 29

Where can I purchase the cake board foil (especially in various colors). Is it FDA approved and grease proof like Wilton's?

28 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 29

I buy my foil from numerous online cake decorating stores.I think they call it floral foil but it is just fine.I have never had an issue in 8 years.It comes in all colors.It is grease proof because it is aluminum foil but probably not FDA approved but I don't see that as being an issue.Cake Art sells it...probably CK also to name a few.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 29

Unfortunately, the florist foil is not really food safe. I found that out when I used the dark blue foil. When I tried to wipe the excess icing off the board with a damp paper towel the blue dye came off, so no telling if it was leaking into the cake. I called the company and she said their foil was not food safe. She said most cake decorators use a barrier of some sort such as parchment paper. Now I wrap a board the same size as my cake with wilton foil and then glue that to the floral foil covered board if I want to use the pretty foil.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 29

A long time ago I put a cake directly on it (for family) and when we went to cut it the cake was all discolored. It's one of those things that's not food safe for a reason, not just politics icon_smile.gif

I use it to cover the final board, but the cake is always is sitting directly on a regular, food safe cardboard.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I use it to cover the final board, but the cake is always is sitting directly on a regular, food safe cardboard.

So, are you saying that you cover a larger cake board with wrapping paper, floral foil, whatever, then you set your cake (that's on a cardboard circle) on top of it?

Do you attach it in any way to keep it from sliding around?

Thanks in advance -- I've been dying to try some prettier cakeboards!

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 29

I use wrapping paper or even just tissue paper to match my theme sometimes and I just cover it with food safe cellophane wrap that you can buy on a big roll at Michael's.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 29

I cover my cake bords with colored foil, scrap book paper, or what ever catches my eye.

When I am ready to put my cake on that I will put down a few circles of hot glue in the center (like a target design right in the center) and put my cake which is on a same size/slightly larger cake board and plop it down on the hot glue.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 29

You can find FDA approved foils at cakeart.com and winbeckler.com
http://www.winbeckler.com/detail.asp?Product_ID=89-5-

If you use other decorative foils, food shouldn't come in direct contact with it because there can be lead in the colors and it will leach into greasy or acidic foods. The same goes for scrapbook papers, comics, wrapping paper, etc. You can cover those with clear contact paper (so that grease marks don't appear), but you need a barrier between that and the cake, too, because it isn't food safe, either (I have this info directly from the manufacturer).

HTH
Rae

cupcakebliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakebliss Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:44am
post #9 of 29

www.fondantsource.com has different colored foil wrap. I have never used it from there, so not sure of the quality or what brand it is supposed to be.

BlakesCakes Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:50am
post #10 of 29

Here we go again.....

cupcakebliss, they blocked the site you recommended and inserted globalsugarart (they don't have anything but Wilton that is FDA approved). You can try to repost by separating the website name with spaces....

I found another site tonight with a nice selection of FDA approved foils:
http://www.wineandcake.com/browse.cfm/cake-decorating/cake-foil-for-cake-boards/2,1238.html

Rae

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:39am
post #11 of 29

I do the same as KoryAK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_to_decorate

I use wrapping paper or even just tissue paper to match my theme sometimes and I just cover it with food safe cellophane wrap that you can buy on a big roll at Michael's.

I didn't know they sold food safe cellphane at Michaels.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 4:10am
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

So, are you saying that you cover a larger cake board with wrapping paper, floral foil, whatever, then you set your cake (that's on a cardboard circle) on top of it?

Do you attach it in any way to keep it from sliding around?

Thanks in advance -- I've been dying to try some prettier cakeboards!

For example: 8" cake sitting directly on uncovered 8" cardboard. Fully iced then attached (with a dab of regular old glue) to a 10" cardboard (or 2 or 3) wrapped in pretty floral foil. Then decorate.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:41am
post #13 of 29

I use freezer paper to wrap my boards. It comes in a wide width , it is moisture proof and food safe and always available at your local Wal-Mart oh and did I say it's cheap! After I've iced the cake I cover the board in icing or Fondant then put ribbon around the edge of the board to finish it.
Try it you'll like it.

cupcakebliss Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:56am
post #14 of 29

Hmm. I didn't know that some websites were put as blocked. The website is fondantsource. I think I also saw in other post that if you put cakecentral in the coupon code, you get 10% off.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 12:14pm
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

I do the same as KoryAK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_to_decorate

I didn't know they sold food safe cellphane at Michaels.

I've seen alot of people in the Wilton forums who say the same thing. They also get cellophane at Michael's and it says food safe on the label.
You can also get food safe cello at Nashville Wraps .com

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 12:33pm
post #16 of 29

I just use fondant to cover boards.. there's no wondering if it's food safe. I don't like foil boards anyway. I buy cake drums and cover them with fondant to coordinate with the cake and slap a ribbon around the edge. Viola... icon_smile.gif

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 12:48pm
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Here we go again.....

cupcakebliss, they blocked the site you recommended and inserted globalsugarart (they don't have anything but Wilton that is FDA approved). You can try to repost by separating the website name with spaces....

I found another site tonight with a nice selection of FDA approved foils:
http://www.wineandcake.com/browse.cfm/cake-decorating/cake-foil-for-cake-boards/2,1238.html

Rae

This is my local cake decorating store. I can tell you first hand that the foil is of very high quality. The colors are beautiful and vibrant. This is the foil I used for my mother's day cake (azalea) and Christmas cake (red) in my photos.

cupcakebliss Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:13pm
post #18 of 29

After relooking at the fondantsource website, I am not sure the colored foils are food safe. I see they have a category that is Foil Board Wrap and then another category with Confectioner's Foil that says it is FDA approved. I guess now I am not sure I would get any from the Foil Board wrap section. The confectioner's foil is available in gold, silver, and red.

cupcakebliss Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:17pm
post #19 of 29

After relooking at the fondantsource website, I am not sure the colored foils are food safe. I see they have a category that is Foil Board Wrap and then another category with Confectioner's Foil that says it is FDA approved. I guess now I am not sure I would get any from the Foil Board wrap section. The confectioner's foil is available in gold, silver, and red.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:41pm
post #20 of 29

What about the cake boards (drums) that come already foil covered? The cake supply stores usually have them in silver, gold and white. I would think since they are made for cakes, the foil surface should be food safe, right?

To use the colored foils that are not food safe would this work?...Cut a piece of parchment paper the same size as the cake. Smear the board with icing so the parchment sticks, then put more icing on top of the parchment so the cake sticks to it. I wouldn't want to use cardboard on top of the cake board - I'd be afraid it would slide.

xstitcher Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:17pm
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffCake

What about the cake boards (drums) that come already foil covered? The cake supply stores usually have them in silver, gold and white. I would think since they are made for cakes, the foil surface should be food safe, right?

To use the colored foils that are not food safe would this work?...Cut a piece of parchment paper the same size as the cake. Smear the board with icing so the parchment sticks, then put more icing on top of the parchment so the cake sticks to it. I wouldn't want to use cardboard on top of the cake board - I'd be afraid it would slide.

You can hot glue the cardboard ontop of the cake board so it doesn't slide, or you could always use two way tape.

xstitcher Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:20pm
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleebug

I've seen alot of people in the Wilton forums who say the same thing. They also get cellophane at Michael's and it says food safe on the label.
You can also get food safe cello at Nashville Wraps .com

Thanks juleebug. I didn't know they had that!

Jkalman, I also cover my cake board with fondant but only if it's a fondant covered cake to start with. Do you do this if the cake is b/c cream too? If you do, do you mind posting a pic for me to see? TIA

FromScratch Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:57pm
post #23 of 29

There are a few cakes in my photos that is BC with a fondant board...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1262551

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1288590

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1216756

I do mostly fondant cakes and you can't see the boards really good in the last two pictures, but you can a little. HTH's...

xstitcher Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:11pm
post #24 of 29

Jeanne that first link of yours has been in my fav's for ages. Every time I look at it I'm so amazed that the ribbon is handmade and the topper you made is absolutely gorgeous too!
I love the "sheen" on the SMBC icing (just made it the 1st time last weekend but only used it to put on top of cc - still to chicken to put it on cake as I'm afraid I won't get it too look good).
The fondant board looks great, I didn't even realize it was that until you mentioned.

Thanks for posting these for me!
Parm

FromScratch Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:00am
post #25 of 29

Thanks so much!! icon_biggrin.gif Don't be scare of SMBC... it's good stuff, and I think it's easier to smooth than the PS and butter/crisco icing. Youc an play with it forever since it doesn't crust up on you. icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:17am
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Thanks so much!! icon_biggrin.gif Don't be scare of SMBC... it's good stuff, and I think it's easier to smooth than the PS and butter/crisco icing. Youc an play with it forever since it doesn't crust up on you. icon_smile.gif

You know I never thought of the "it doesn't crust" aspect! I'll definitely try it now.

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:39am
post #27 of 29

Hey guys I was wondering if you had a specific way of covering your boards with the paper to give them a professional tight look. I love the idea of putting wrapping paper on the board and then putting some glue in the center for the cake board under your cake. Unfortunalty I can just see the paper coming off underneath the board. Just thought you guys may have had a special way. Thanks!!

xstitcher Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:57am
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerzJoy

Hey guys I was wondering if you had a specific way of covering your boards with the paper to give them a professional tight look. I love the idea of putting wrapping paper on the board and then putting some glue in the center for the cake board under your cake. Unfortunalty I can just see the paper coming off underneath the board. Just thought you guys may have had a special way. Thanks!!

Here's a how to that might help you out:

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/cake-decorating/covering-cake-board-with-fanci-foil.cfm

BlakesCakes Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:04am
post #29 of 29

I've done it the Wilton way when the paper I'm using is very heavy, like embossed scrapbooking papers.

When the paper (think basic wrapping paper), or foil, are pretty thin, I just gently wrap it over the edge, ease in any folds, and tape on the bottom. I go around the board, gathering, easing, and taping, until the whole piece is taped securely on the bottom. The edges of the board have fine, flat folds that look fine.

Sometimes, I find that with the thinner coverings, making the tabs can result in too much tearing up the edge toward the top of the board.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%