Xx Post..absolute "must" Cake Magazine?

Decorating By Idreamofcakes Updated 10 Apr 2009 , 4:40am by Idreamofcakes

Idreamofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Idreamofcakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:09pm
post #1 of 32

I have had a subscription for Taste of Home mag for years, but I am not happy with it's new format. So i'm going to cancel it for another magazine. My question is what is everyones favorite Cake and or cupcake magazine? Which one has the most helpful learning info, tips, ideas, pictures, upcoming new items, you know all the good stuff we as cakers love to have. I'm not so worried about recipes, but if there is one with recipes that you know are usually pretty good then i'll take that too.
I'd like to get as many opinions as possible before I make my decision, i'm trusting my trusty fellow CC addicts!
So will you give me your opinions on which you would pick and why?
Also if you can tell me if it is monthly or bimonthly?

Thank you so much for you help icon_smile.gif

This is also posted in the general forum

31 replies
Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 32

I'm with you on the format of Taste of Home. My grandmother has been getting it for at least 10 years, she also gives me an my sister subscriptions. We're all canceling! I haven't even read the last one, does't even look interesting! I really hate that they've changed it. icon_cry.gif

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:19pm
post #3 of 32

(Bump) I really would like to know this also. I use to receive taste of home also.

Chippi

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:20pm
post #4 of 32

I love ACD. I can't even tell you how many times I've referred back to an article or an article has come out "just in time" when I needed it.

I also love the "Success Stories" feature in every magazine. It is cool to hear how people got started and how they're doing now.

It's ALWAYS late - so that's the only down side. Plus, I love Bronwen Weber, and she is a contributor.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 32

I just got my 1st issue of ACD and was not thrilled, (sorry, just my humble opinion),hopefully next one will be better. Plus I ordered the subscription before Christmas and just got the 1st issue

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:26pm
post #6 of 32

I'm glad you asked this....I've been wondering the same thing! I want to subscribe to one, but I'm not sure what's out there, or what is worth the money. Living where I do, there just aren't options for buying good magazines off the shelf.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 32

I quit taking Taste of Home as well for the very same reasons mentioned by the OP. They called me one day asking me to resubscribe and I told the telerep, "No thanks, I don't like the new format." He told me he had heard that a lot.

I get hand-me-down copies of ACD. It would be the one I ordered if I had to. Recently, I got some issues from 2007 which were not very impressive. I loved most of 2008 --it's like the editors took on a new cake maturity level. icon_rolleyes.gif I have not seen any from 2009 yet.

cakesbytanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbytanya Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:35pm
post #8 of 32

I too subscribe to ACD and Mailbox News which is an idea magazine by ACD. There are issues I love and issues I don't. Overall I'm happy with the magazine and the information in there and there are alot of ideas in Mailbox News however there don't usually give you any sort of instructions so you are on your own. What I don't like is that you have to wait so long to receive the magazine. They say up to 3 weeks but its always over a month for me. I'm sure this is because I'm in Canada but it is still damn annoying. I got my christmas issue in Jan. and halloween in Nov.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:38pm
post #9 of 32

I also don't like Taste of Home's new format. It looks old, boring, and it has become uninteresting. I will not be renewing mine!! I used to love the magazine and so did my DH - he cooks sometimes. Maybe if they loose enough readers they will wake up!

I want to subscribe to a cake magazine also but I hear so many negative commnents on most of them about not getting them or getting them months later that I don't even know if I want to go that route either.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:50pm
post #10 of 32

I just love Cook's Country - although it is not all about cakes/cupcakes - it does offer up wonderful tips and advice. I have gotten some excellent ideas from this and you can view alot of stuff on their site!

Does this help?

Dizzy

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/

http://www.cookscountry.com/

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:01pm
post #11 of 32

I too do not like the "New" Taste of Home layout. I have order a subsciption for my daughter for the past 8 years, I have also bought for friends.
I will be cancelling all my orders staring this December. I wish there was somneone we could let know. Cale mags. I order Mailbox news and ACD
Sue

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:33pm
post #12 of 32

I pay the extra $$ and buy the mags from Britian, when I remember to look for them,...lol.

I got an ACD subscription last Aug for my birthday, and I have yet to see an issue. They keep telling me, sorry, we will extend your subscription to whatever.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:07pm
post #13 of 32

I know it's not a decorating mag, but I recently subscribed to "bon appetit" and like it a lot. They have some awesome dessert recipes!

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:15pm
post #14 of 32

What is acd?

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:16pm
post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleskaye518

What is acd?

American Cake Decorating

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:17pm
post #16 of 32

American Cake Decorating

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:24pm
post #17 of 32

I also agree with everyone else taste of home stinks. I quit my subscr.

I have found the new food network mag is pretty good. I have made almost all the recipes from it. liked the layout and all.

cake magazines ACD is o.k. but I get one from england Called wedding cakes a design source nothing but pictures of wedding cakes.
when brides come to look at cakes I always give those books to look at.

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:25pm
post #18 of 32

Suella-what British magazine would you recommend??? I get ACD but was so disappointed with the two (very late) editions I have received since I subscribed last August!

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:25pm
post #19 of 32

I buy the British mags from Barnes and Nobles and on my once a year trip to the UK will buy some others there. I also subscribe to ACD and MBN. But like most magazines, some issues are good and others are blah. I still buy them because I love to see what others do and it helps to get my creative juices flowing.

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:26pm
post #20 of 32

I buy the British mags from Barnes and Nobles and on my once a year trip to the UK will buy some others there. I also subscribe to ACD and MBN. But like most magazines, some issues are good and others are blah. I still buy them because I love to see what others do and it helps to get my creative juices flowing.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:57pm
post #21 of 32

I got ACD for a year and thought it was a great waste of money. Much of its contents were too basic. I wanted something inspiring and more professional. I subscribed to Pastry & Baking North America and love it. They got at least 12 back issues online that you can read and print for free.
http://www.pastryna.com/index.htm

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:13pm
post #22 of 32

Wow, that's expensive!

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:13pm
post #23 of 32

I didn't renew my ACD and Mailbox News. In general, although I like to look at them, I don't find them incredibly useful. I find SO much more info on this website. I can more ideas and learn techniques on Cake Central, so I couldn't figure out why I needed a subscription to a...um...not so great magazine. I think when you're first starting out, it's a great magazine, but once you're in caking for a while the magazine isn't quite as useful. Just my opinion.

There's a British mag I'd love to get. Cakes & S u g a r c r a f t. (No spaces, obviously.) I haven't flipped through one yet, but I hear it's the way to go.

Idreamofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Idreamofcakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:55pm
post #24 of 32

I' surprised there aren't more choices for cake decorating magazines icon_sad.gif

Maybe we need to get a collective letter together and signed, like a petition to let TOH know how we all feel. I have been getting it for oves 10 yrs, I have kept every issue, and go through them over and over all the time. Since they changed though, there seems to be so much advertising (which they didn't allow before), I get it, look at it, put it away, and thats about it. Sad huh?

I wish I knew how to put a mag together, with all of you as contributers...it would surely sell like crazy! Can you imagine the wealth of info we could give and get??!!

I know we have CC, and I LOVE CC, but when im on the road or can't get o the puter, I like having a magazine to go back to.

Thanks for all the help, and if anyone else has anything to add please keep it comin'!

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 10:14pm
post #25 of 32

For lovely cake projects and instructions, I subscribe to the british magazines Cake Craft and Decoration magazine and Cakes and Sugar Craft Magazine.I absolutely love them.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 10:17pm
post #26 of 32

okay so I admit the title of this thread made me think it was like an x rated question! LOL

poohthebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohthebear Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 10:44pm
post #27 of 32

LOL I also thought this was a "naughty" thread. Have loved reading about the mags, have definately changed my mind about TOH and ACD, thanks. Would like to hear more about the British and other mags. It sure would be nice if CC members could come up with one, sign me up for one of the first copies!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 10:56pm
post #28 of 32

i subscribe to amc... mbn... cakecraft&decorations... cakes&sugarcraft... have subscribed for 12 years.. love them all..

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:48pm
post #29 of 32

I about went nuts when after going through and methodically indexing all of my Taste Of Home favorite recipes I found that I could order the year end book and get every recipe for the entire year all in one book and not have tons of magazines taking up space in my kitchen. I would cancell my subscription of it was not for my mother in law giving it to me as a gift and it being paid for 2 years ahead of time. Now I just pass them along to friends. The year end book is only $10.00 .

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 12:21am
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohthebear

LOL I also thought this was a "naughty" thread. Have loved reading about the mags, have definately changed my mind about TOH and ACD, thanks. Would like to hear more about the British and other mags. It sure would be nice if CC members could come up with one, sign me up for one of the first copies!

I am glad I wasn't the only one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%