Absolute "must" Cake Magazine?

Decorating By Idreamofcakes Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 10:25pm by mustang1964

Idreamofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Idreamofcakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 5

I have had a subscription for Taste of Home mag for years, but I am not happy with it's new format. So i'm going to cancel it for another magazine. My question is what is everyones favorite Cake and or cupcake magazine? Which one has the most helpful learning info, tips, ideas, pictures, upcoming new items, you know all the good stuff we as cakers love to have. I'm not so worried about recipes, but if there is one with recipes that you know are usually pretty good then i'll take that too.
I'd like to get as many opinions as possible before I make my decision, i'm trusting my trusty fellow CC addicts!
So will you give me your opinions on which you would pick and why?
Also if you can tell me if it is monthly or bimonthly?

Thank you so much for you help icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 5

Patry & Baking North America
http://www.pastryna.com/index.htm

read the online back issues to decide

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 5

Hi Idreamofcakes,

I would say, honestly, there arent any magazines out there that are a "must" have. Here's my take on a few, JMHO:

American Cake Decorating (ACD): Some nice advertisements for products, a few articles, usually a tutorial or two for advanced decorators, one for beginners and sometimes an intermediate. It's a nice magazine for only $24 a year, but only comes every few months. Might be worth the money in some respects.

Mailbox news: lots of pictures from intermediate level bakers. Lots of stuff you could find on CC since lots of CC'ers are featured in this magazine. Not expensive, but IMHO, hasn't been extremely useful.

British Cake Decorating Magazines: They run $9-15 in the US. Expensive but sometimes some nice articles, particularly if you work in gumpaste or decorate with royal icing. Not much in the way of buttercream or fondant from Europe.

IMHO I would probably not subscribe to anything except possibly ACD if you have the money, and spend the money on a few great books like:

-Confetti Cakes (great book, great recipes)
-Martha Stewart Baking (great recipes, zero to nothing about decorating but I refer to her recipes often)
-The Whimsical Bakehouse books (I think there are 3 now?)...
-Books by Colette Peters
-Books by Scott Wooley Clark (for gumpaste)
-Books by Nicholas Lodge (for gumpaste).

Hope this helps!

Idreamofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Idreamofcakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 5

I appreciate all the info, thank you for taking the time to type it all out for me (and others who might need it).

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 5

I am not any help with the magazines, but I know what you mean about taste of home I thought about e-mailing them my opinion for what it's worth. i have subscribed to them since their first issue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%