Making Roses

Decorating By Sweet_Toof Updated 6 May 2009 , 12:50pm by all4cake

Sweet_Toof Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:44am
post #1 of 9

I know how to make just small roses with royal icing, but how are the big ones made with buttercream?
cake rookie icon_smile.gif

8 replies
Cakepro Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:54am
post #2 of 9

Same technique, larger tip. icon_smile.gif Really big ones are made on a larger flower nail.

tonedna Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:06am
post #3 of 9

You can use a bigger tip too..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:12am
post #4 of 9

LOL, Department of Redundancy Department

all4cake Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:25am
post #5 of 9

LOL @ Cakepro's last comment

Sweet_Toof Posted 6 May 2009 , 10:54am
post #6 of 9
Originally Posted by all4cake

LOL @ Cakepro's last comment

oh, well... that would make sense then!... told you I was a cake rookie!!

So, how do I stop them from going so sloppy?
I've only tried them a couple of times, the 1st time was a mess, 2nd time was perfect, today I tried again and they were hopeless - I gave up and used the royal icing for other stuff.
I thought my icing was at a good consistency, don't know if the room was too warm or something. All I could think about is how I'm doing this course and it'll be a dead- end one for me!

sweetjan Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:02am
post #7 of 9

Make sure your icing is not too soft...that's one piece of the answer to your question! post pics!

Sweet_Toof Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:30am
post #8 of 9
Originally Posted by sweetjan

Make sure your icing is not too soft...that's one piece of the answer to your question! post pics!

Sorry, no pics, half thrown down the sink, the other half thrown in my mouth hehehe
damn its frustrating not being able to do something right though!
you can just imagine what they looked like...
the thing is, before I started, my royal icing looked okay. It even held well when I used it in a star tip for another job, but it didn't like my petal tip at all.

all4cake Posted 6 May 2009 , 12:50pm
post #9 of 9

I'm confused(it doesn't take much). I thought the trouble was when you tried to make them with buttercream. What stage of the course are you?

Not knowing what you know, I'll give my response as if you're just beginning.

With royal icing, make sure everything being used is grease free. Make the recipe according to directions on the meringue powder can(I usually make it with less water to begin with then add as I see necessary). Humidity can and will effect the amount of water needed... almost every batch requires a smidge of a difference in the amount of water(this is in my experience and in no way constitutes an expert opinion). It is crucial to get the consistency right(or as close to it as possible) in order to make roses...stiff but not so stiff that the petals wind up having jagged edges. Royal icing needs to be stirred/beaten between bag fills to keep it's consistency. I don't recommend making more than you are able to work with in one session. If you make a batch(start with a small batch), make sure to use it all, if possible...on something...anything. Otherwise, store in small glass or metal container to prevent possible transference of oils from plastic containers.

With buttercream, the type/recipe of your buttercream does determine how this is answered. Consistency is the number 1 reason for rose failure not including lack of practice/following technique procedures.

The pictures(I see you stated you have none) would've been helpful for us CCers in determining what the possible cause/reason for your rose issues.

Quote by @%username% on %date%