My First Disaster

Decorating By mirda6275 Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 5:50pm by RobzC8kz

mirda6275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:48am
post #1 of 6

I'm new at this, only started decorating classes in January. Took Wilton I&II but haven't been able to go on since their new class minimums...
Anyway, You all here @ CC have taught me a lot and I'm using fondant decorations and can tier cakes without them collapsing in transport! icon_lol.gif That said...what I did this morning was completely stupid on my part.

I had a 2 layer cake (8" and 10" rounds, 3" high) in my regular old plastic cake carrier that I was taking into work for a co-workers birthdays. I took my hand off the bottom of the carrier so I could shut the door and the bottom came off the carrier and the cake I spent 2 hours decorating the night before rolled down the steps!

I wanted to cry!!! There was no way to salvage the cake b/c the cement steps had scraped off the icing in several spots down to the cake itself and I was NOT about to try to re-ice and serve to my co-workers (icky!). The only thing I could do was pick up the tiers and toss in in the trash icon_mad.gif

Just spent this evening re-baking and decorating and doing the fondant details...they better enjoy this cake!

I've learned my lesson...ALWAYS carry a cake with 2 hands under the cake!

5 replies
Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:44am
post #2 of 6

Oh, that's a bummer! Sorry that happened to you. thumbsdown.gif

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:54am
post #3 of 6

We've all done something silly. Hang in there!

BakerDee1875 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerDee1875 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:59am
post #4 of 6

Thats horriable. Ive had to redo cakes for that reason. My latest cake disaster was my spider man cake. When I finished it, his hand was in a very unfriendly place and it made him look like he had a male body part. I was horrified. This was a cake for a five year old. So I made another one and brought the disaster to the childs father ( which is my best friend.) he loved it. So it worked out in the end. The kids had a nice birthday cake and the Adults had a nice laugh at the disaster cake.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 6

I feel for you sista. The same thing happened to me two years ago. I was going to my MIL house and I had made two cakes. One was a red velvet that I think tasted gross. I was my first time making it. The second was a chocolate cake from the box and just can icing. I did it at the last minute because my son had found my red velvet cake and grabbed a huge hunk out of it. So I made what I had in the house. Well I was walking to the car and went to open the car door and the cake fell out onto the driveway. I was devestated. I just cried. I called the family and said I wasnt coming and told them what happened. My MIL and SIL laughed so hard and said brind the red velvet. They didnt care that my son had grabbed a chunk out! I was so sad that my husband had to get it off the pavement and throw it in the trash bc I was too busy crying. It's funny now but I've learned a valuable lesson "Hold the bottoms of cakes because they can fall!"

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 6

Did that on the 16" round base tier of a 3 tier wedding cake!! I was rushing to get it loaded and was carrying with one hand while I opened the door to go outside and it tilted and fell!!! I barely caught it before it hit the ground but the force of the fall and the catch caused the layers to slide (even though there were dowls in it). I had to take it back inside, scrape off all the BC and decorations and do a record setting redecorating job in like 10 minutes!!! Needless to say I was late to the reception and EVERYONE was upset with me...

Always carry from the bottom with two hands!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%