Iron Workers Cake For Afirst Birthday??!

Decorating By iceit4me Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 7:45pm by dxerebl

iceit4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iceit4me Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:22am
post #1 of 9

Have a request for an iron workers cake for a fist birthday party. They only want the cake to be small like a 6". I have no clue what to do for this one! Any ideas would be great!!!!

8 replies
Lidunka25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lidunka25 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:35am
post #2 of 9

What about to do regular 6 inch round or square and on top of it model gumpaste of fondant figurine of worker doing something with some kind of iron, u know what I have in mind right?

AlandraD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlandraD Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:37am
post #3 of 9

if they only want a small cake then you could make a loafpan cake, trim and frost it. Maybe make it a sky color and clouds. Then line the edges in a fondant steel girder, so it looks like they are high up. and make a few iron workers sitting on the having lunch, open lunch boxes. a resting rivet gun. If you Google search images you can find lots of reference material.

I think this is what your talking about. I could be mistaken.

dxerebl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dxerebl Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:51am
post #4 of 9

OMG!! Had to respond to this one... My grandfather was an ironworker for 30+ years, as well as my father - who is currently retired - but still doing it every so often -- VOTE UNION!! (sorry - Dad would be so proud)

The first thing that came to mind is a set of crossed spuds. It's a tool sorta like a wrench - but not - crossed into an "x". Here's 2 links... the first one actually shows them in the address line crossed like an x, the second site is actually for the tools so you can see what they are.

this is a VERY recognizable symbol for ironworkers icon_smile.gif My thought was to either do them flat in buttercream, or you could do them in fondant, maybe laid across/against an I-beam cake made from a small loaf cake. (the girder mention in prior post) Maybe add a hard hat or welders mask.

http://www.ironworker.com/main.shtml

http://www.ironworker.com/store/spuds-c-3.html

Please post pics of your cake!! I might have to do one in sept for the yearly ironworkers picnic!! icon_smile.gif

iceit4me Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:32am
post #5 of 9

thank you all for your ideas! Now I have a reference point to start with! Thanks so much for the links! I will see if the Mom wants to go with any of these ideas. I think they are great!

dxerebl Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:17am
post #6 of 9

I'm excited to see it!! It's just one of those ideas that never crossed my mind but my pops would be sooooo surprised and proud if I showed up at the picnic with an ironworkers cake! He's been real supportive of this latest obsession of mine icon_lol.gif

side thought - I'm just assuming they are union - if so - anything with the AFL-CIO logo or reference on the cake would work too.

I'm cheerin' for ya!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:34am
post #7 of 9

Wow first birthday!

I have an ironworkers cake in my profile, the groom wanted a belt buckle reproduced in cake. You can take a look if you like....

iceit4me Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:27pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you so much to all who have replied to my request. However, the mother of the soon to be 1 year old called me back and said that she has changed her mind and wants a cake with Iron man on it. Yes, I think this is more appropriate for a first birthday, but I was excited to try your ideas you all have sent me. Thanks again to all of you. Now I will be doing a 6" round cake with an edible icing image on it of Iron Man. Oh well, as long as they are happy!

dxerebl Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 7:45pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the follow up. I had been checking back every so often looking for the pic. Oh well. And yes, I agree, an "Iron Man" would probably be better for a 1 y.o. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%