Cookie Icing - The Big Debate On Which Recipe Is The Best...

Baking By thin4life Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 2:21pm by GeminiRJ

thin4life Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:41am
post #1 of 8

I love to do cookies and am looking for that perfect cookie icing recipe. I have used antonia74 recipe but it dries way to hard for me. I have used many other ones including Alice's cookie icing, I tried both of the recipes that psneeds uses on her cookie. On almost all of them besides antonia74 the colors bleed. After the cookie has dried the colors have bled and they have a dull finish. Is there such a recipe where it dries shiney, doesn't dry to where it is rock hard and the colors don't bleed? Also can anyone tell me, does meringue powder keep the colors from bleeding? I would really appreciate any help on this.

7 replies
thin4life Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:31am
post #2 of 8

Is there anyone out there who can help me on this matter? Also, everytime I post a picture or question it never shows up on the home page. Does this happen to any one else?

GeminiRJ Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:53am
post #3 of 8

Which icing to use is a matter of personal preference. My favorite is a slight modification to Toba's: 3 cups powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons skim milk, 3 tablespoons corn syrup, 15 drops brite white food color. This is what I use on all my cookies. I can play with the consistency to thicken it for details or thin it for better flooding. I like that it doesn't dry's firm to the touch, but soft underneath. You can bag or stack the cookies after 24 hours. For me, I can make as little or as much icing as I want by keeping the ratios the same, so I don't have to worry about making a large batch when all I need is a little bit to finish my cookies. It's supposed to dry shiny, but I get more of a matte finish.

msulli10 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:12pm
post #4 of 8

GeminiRJ - do you add the brite white food coloring even if you are going to tint the icing different colors?

cricket0616 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:33pm
post #5 of 8

I have the same issues with darker colors running into the lighter (mainly if I am using black). I would love to know if there is a fix.

ALVARGA Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 8

I have found that when using black or red I let the base dry thoroughly (usually overnight) before I apply the red or black. If the color is butted up to another color I outline the area and let the out line dry before I flood with the rest of the royal icing. Hope this makes sense.

kneadacookie Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 8

red and black both darken after sitting for awhile. if possible..let red and black sit overnight before using. try not to use too much coloring or you will oversaturate the icing. i usually try to make my black look like a darker gray. by the next day it's black.
and yes you add the brite white even if you're planning to color the icing. that tip came from toba garrett herself!

GeminiRJ Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:21pm
post #8 of 8
Originally Posted by kneadacookie

and yes you add the brite white even if you're planning to color the icing. that tip came from toba garrett herself!

The brite white helps to prevent the icing from getting spotty and cloudy when it dries (especially in cold temperatures). It also helps make the icing a nicer white. The people at Americolor think the white helps icings accept the other colors better when you go to tint the icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%