Chocolate Runouts

Decorating By Cher2309b Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 6:23am by Cher2309b

Cher2309b Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 5

Any tips on making chocolate runouts? Is it the same as using royal icing? Should I add anything to the chocolate? I would like to make chocolate bicycles and chocolate disco dancers for two different cakes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Cheryl

4 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:59am
post #2 of 5

Are you referring to chocolate transfers?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Cher2309b Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:34am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Are you referring to chocolate transfers?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I'm sorry Theresa; I'm just learning to use the forum and didn't see your reply.
Aren't chocolate transfers built up back-to-front and placed on the cake in reverse so that the surface is flat? I would like to build up a somewhat 3D effect of the picture. I had a go yesterday with some simple bike pictures - a bit messy but OK. Tried adding colour to white chocolate but it seized; so I made them from white and dark chocolate - same as run-outs (or flooding) but surface did not go smooth. They will go around the sides of the cake.
I would like to make a colourful run-out of a picture for the top. I can use royal icing but would prefer to use coloured white chocolate.
My challenges: finding colours that won't seize the chocolate and having the chocolate spread to a smooth surface.
Thanks for your interest; hope someone can advise. Have a great day.
Cheryl

playingwithsugar Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:31am
post #4 of 5

Well, there are a few members here who say they use regular paste colors to color chocolate. I've never had success with that. Wilton sells them at Michael's. I don't know about other craft stores. Americolor sells Flo-Coat, which prevents siezing if you use their soft paste gel colors with white chocolate.

Chocolate Transfers can be used from either side. One side is very flat, the other has a puffy dimension to it, just like royal icing. I had made a snowman couple for a Christmas cake a few years ago. I outlined in black chocolate (CK black candy writer), then filled it in with white chocolate (which gave it the puffiness it needed to be more realistic), then decorated the eyes, nose, etc with more candy writers.

In essence, you can say that each is made the same - it's the side you use which designates it's description.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Cher2309b Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:23am
post #5 of 5

Thanks Theresa; I now see the connection between transfers and run-outs.
I'll need to check out some of our cake decorating/candy-making suppliers in Sydney for suitable colours. After googling your Candy Writers I will try to find those as well as the Rainbow Coatings. You've taught me so much; thanks again.
All the best,
Cheryl

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%