Baptism Gown

Decorating By shel35 Updated 12 Apr 2009 , 10:22pm by cylstrial

shel35 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 9

Help... I need to make a baptism cake on Friday and they want a baptism gown on the cake. Does anyone have a template for a gown or could give me some advice on how to make one? I am just wanting to make one out of fondant to lay on the cake, but I would like for it to look like there is one laying on the cake, not just a flat piece of fondant . (Does that make sense?!) Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

8 replies
MBoyd Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:34am
post #2 of 9

do you have a dress shaped cookie cutter? I would start with that - cut out of fondant, and then maybe add another piece of gathered fondant to create a "skirt" and give it some dimension... you could then pipe all the lacy details on top of the fondant.

If the cookie cutter isn't big enough, you could enlarge a tracing on a copier.

If you don't have a cutter, you could look for images online. (always my last resort!)

momvarden Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:43am
post #3 of 9

are you talking about something like this cake i did for a bridal shower.

shel35 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:21am
post #4 of 9

Yes, something like what you did for the bridal shower cake. (very pretty cake, BTW) Thanks for the idea about the cutter, unfortunately I don't have one but I will keep that in mind for future cakes and I am needing something. Thank you.

momvarden Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:12am
post #5 of 9

Shel, i did not have a pattern for my i just had to draw up something by hand the when i got it the way i wanted i traced it onto poster board and cut it out so that i had something nice for cutting around on the fondant.
I would suggest just borrowing a nice dress dress to get an idea from.
Remember you will need to make it a little bigger for some ruffling at least on the skirt part. and the sleeves. I hope that makes sense i am getting a little tired. Ps. thank you by the way.

shel35 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 9

Momvarden- thanks so much for the tip. I am going to attempt drawing one in a little while. I will be thrilled if it turns out as nice as yours. Once again- Thanks.

cylstrial Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:23am
post #7 of 9

Momvarden -- that's beautiful!
Shel - I hope your cake turns out beautifully!

beachcakes Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:40am
post #8 of 9

I did one a few years back. It didn't come out exactly as I had wanted, but it might give you some ideas? I should've used a wider fondant piece for the skirt as it came out too flat.

cylstrial Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 10:22pm
post #9 of 9

I just saw one today on here. It's gorgeous! Here's the link!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%