Finally Bought Whip N Ice & Realize It's Grocery Store I

Decorating By Cakepro Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 3:59am by forthwife

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 16

I've read about so many people using Whip n Ice here, so I just bought some, whipped it, and tasted it...and was so disappointed!! I had my kids taste it too, and asked them what they thought it was, and my youngest said, "Kroger icing!" (Kroger's is a grocery store chain, for those who haven't heard of it.)

What is up with people digging Sam's icing, Bettercreme, and Whip 'n Ice??

I JUST DON'T GET IT!! That stuff gags me!

Okay, discuss. icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 16

I agree...i'm soo partial to homemade buttercream.

Everytime we go to Kroger, my daughter likes to eye the cake aisle and do a little comparison between my cakes and theirs. I can just SEE the whipped oil taste. It makes me feel more confident about the cakes I do.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I've read about so many people using Whip n Ice here, so I just bought some, whipped it, and tasted it...and was so disappointed!! I had my kids taste it too, and asked them what they thought it was, and my youngest said, "Kroger icing!" (Kroger's is a grocery store chain, for those who haven't heard of it.)

I agree 100% (don't pass out! lol)... I gag whenever I go to a party and all there is for dessert is a grocery store cake because the icing is inedible as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a huge cake eater to begin with, but at least with good homemade icing it's got half a chance of tasting good!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 16

This is what I blame all my recent weigh gain on. I never ate cake before I started decorating last year. Couldn't stand the icing. My mom used to bake me a plain cake for my bday when I was a kid and they bought cakes with icing for everyone else. My hips and belly definitely wished I had stayed away from decorating/baking cakes! icon_lol.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:58am
post #5 of 16

I picked up some chocolate Whip n Ice last year at a cake show. It made a nice filling. Not sure about the other flavors, but I can't get it or Bettercreme or anything like that here.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:21am
post #6 of 16
Quote:

me, too, girlfriend... me too. Which is why I do not like the creme bouquet... I didn't realize what that "flavor" was until recently in my Wilton course I class. the WMI made some icing, passed it around for us to taste... I literally gagged (didn't mean to!). She asked what was wrong and I put my foot in my mouth icon_lol.gif Went on and on about how it tasted like grocery store icing, texture was nasty, blah blah blah... That's when she revealed:

1) it was creme bouquet

2) she had made it

3) she was a decorator at sam's club

oops icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:57am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsfreebies72

Quote:

me, too, girlfriend... me too. Which is why I do not like the creme bouquet... I didn't realize what that "flavor" was until recently in my Wilton course I class. the WMI made some icing, passed it around for us to taste... I literally gagged (didn't mean to!). She asked what was wrong and I put my foot in my mouth icon_lol.gif Went on and on about how it tasted like grocery store icing, texture was nasty, blah blah blah... That's when she revealed:

1) it was creme bouquet

2) she had made it

oops icon_biggrin.gif

Here I was thinking I was the only one who didn't like the creme bouquet flavour. I thought maybe I had just put to much in.......
I'll try it again since I bought a big bottle but only a dash of it!

Foot in the mouth icon_lol.gif , that's something I would do and to make it worse I'd probably try to back track and get the foot in deeper!

luvsfreebies72 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:00am
post #8 of 16

maybe I put my foot in my mouth to get that nasty taste out icon_lol.gif

xstitcher Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:07am
post #9 of 16
Quote:

maybe I put my foot in my mouth to get that nasty taste out icon_lol.gif

luvsfreebies72 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:09am
post #10 of 16

hey!! I want that smilie! where'd ya get it?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:14am
post #11 of 16
Quote:

Which is why I do not like the creme bouquet... I didn't realize what that "flavor" was until recently in my Wilton course I class. the WMI made some icing, passed it around for us to taste... I literally gagged (didn't mean to!). She asked what was wrong and I put my foot in my mouth icon_lol.gif Went on and on about how it tasted like grocery store icing, texture was nasty, blah blah blah... That's when she revealed:

1) it was creme bouquet

2) she had made it

oops icon_biggrin.gif

Bwahahahahaahahahahahaahaha OMG, that sounds like something I would do. I was born with my foot in my mouth. That's hilarious!!

luvsfreebies72 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:30am
post #12 of 16

the best part was all this came about cause 1 student piped up on the 1st class and asked if she could bring a store bought cake to decorate in class... and my mouth just sort of started moving on its own... and maybe said some stuff about commercial bakery cakes being gross... and she should just make her own...

oopsy

xstitcher Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:41am
post #13 of 16
Quote:

hey!! I want that smilie! where'd ya get it?

From this site:

http://www.clipartof.com/details/emoticon/1231.html

They've got some crackers on there!

luvsfreebies72 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:55am
post #14 of 16

sweet, thanks!

xstitcher Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:57am
post #15 of 16
Quote:

the best part was all this came about cause 1 student piped up on the 1st class and asked if she could bring a store bought cake to decorate in class... and my mouth just sort of started moving on its own... and maybe said some stuff about commercial bakery cakes being gross... and she should just make her own...

oopsy

and here he is again:

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:59am
post #16 of 16

Horrible "grocery store" icing is why I use fondant. I Hate Hate HATE grocery store icing taste, but live in always hot and always humid Florida. In order for icing to pipe or at minimum not melt it must contain shortening. So, I instead use fondant (which tastes ok, but is very sweet) because I look at it like a banana peel...you remove it to eat the good stuff below. This way I can use butter and cream cheese or whatever else strikes me.
Somewhat off topic. I've never made SMBC or IMBC but tasted it once at a cake show....tasted like straight butter. Is it supposed to taste that way? Also, how does that suff hold in 90 degree temps with 80% humidity? Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%