Is It Too Early To Decorate?

Decorating By lisa5573 Updated 10 Apr 2009 , 5:27am by Creative_chika

lisa5573 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 15

I'm making a 2-tier wedding cake, and a single layer grooms cake for a wedding on Friday Evening. I need to decorate them ahead of time because I work another job full time too. Do you think it would be to early to decorate one of them tonight since they are not going to be eaten until Friday evening?

14 replies
niccicola Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 15

can you not decorate them tomorrow night? (thursday)

lisa5573 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 15

I was originally planning on doing all of the decorating tomorrow night, but I'm afraid I'll run out of time and be up half the night. icon_cry.gif

Maybe I'm just stressing myself out!

niccicola Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 15

I feel ya.

Are you pretty confident in your abilities? I know that when i first started doing this seriously, it took my a while to decorate a basic cake. Now, i can whip out cakes in a decent amount of time. I'm not trying to go fast, so it's not that i'm rushing myself, I just get into a rhythm and knock out cake orders the night before.

I used to bake wed, torte fill frost fondant thursday, decorate friday for a saturday event, but i'm finding that i'm totally okay doing it on friday.

I think your cake will be fine if you work on it tonight and tomorrow as long as there is no refrigeration required. The frosting/fondant should seal in the moisture & freshness

bbmom Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 15

If you've ever watched Ace of Cakes it looks like they bake their cakes and crumb coat them early in the week for saturday weddings

lisa5573 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:42pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks for the help. If I do decorate one tonight I was going to put in in the refrigerator. Is that a bad idea?

I'm pretty confident with my decorating, but I am making lilacs, which I've never done (only practice) and drop strings, which are pretty new to me too.

I definately like working with fondant more than buttercream, and these are all buttercream!

bethola Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 15

Can you refrigerate them once you decorate? If so, then decorating 24 hours in advance shouldn't be a problem at all. I do it all the time and still get raves about my cakes.

Beth in KY

lisa5573 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:48pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks for the tips!

I love CC!!

SScakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:07am
post #9 of 15

I decorate on Thursdays and sometimes the cakes are only eaten the Sunday afternoon.....I don't think you will have a problem. No-one has complained to me to date.

crisseyann Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:48pm
post #10 of 15

As long as you have no perishable fillings, your cake will be fine if you decorate today, serve on Friday. I've done it many times. I just put it in a box, tape it up and wait for the customer to pick it up. I don't really like to put my cakes in the fridge. I've heard (could be wrong!) that it can dry out your cake. JMO

Cris icon_smile.gif

jmt1714 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:45pm
post #11 of 15

cakes in the fridge are fine - the icing will stop moisture loss on a cake that's not cut. Bakeries are required to keep their cakes in a refrigerated case, and they are fine once you get them home and warmed up!!!!

jojo76 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:50pm
post #12 of 15

I often decorate mine in advance, but im not a professional, I just make them for friends and family. I have baked tues or wed, buttercreamed the next day, put sugarpaste on and decorated over the next one or two nights. I work too like you so have to do it all in the evenings. You probably already know this, but don't put the cakes in the fridge if they have any sugarpaste (is this the same as fondant - sorry am in the UK and I think there are different names for some things here), on them as it will go soggy. Like someone else said, I find cakes are fine if left in the box as long as they are covered in buttercream or sugarpaste as it sort of seals in the freshness. Hope that helps. good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

newnancy Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:54pm
post #13 of 15

I don't want to hijack this thread but,,,can you use some of the cream cheese fillings and not refrigerate......I wanted to try some of the mousses but they all seem to have cream cheese in them???????

lisa5573 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:36pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks everyone! I did all of the baking last night, so tonight I'll work on the decorating.

As far as the cream cheese filling, I honestly don't know, but it would seem logical that they would need to be kept in the refrigerator. IMO

Creative_chika Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:27am
post #15 of 15

I have the exact same issue for next friday... I guess I can start decorating Wednesday...

Quote by @%username% on %date%