You Want Me To Make What...for How Much??

Decorating By tanyascakes Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 3:25am by OfficerMorgan

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 77

Oh, I am just really stupefied at the things people ask for. I have a woman who just emailed me about making a coach purse for a birthday in June. As she put it, "Can you make me a coach purse for a friend's birthday? It is only for like 5 people and I don't want to pay you more than $25 for it." I just stared at my screen for about 5 minutes, before I could even catch my breath to laugh. I was in utter shock. This isn't a previous customer, but a new prospect. I had to laugh and read it 3 more times to make sure it said what it did! I then promptly emailed her back and told her "of course I couldn't make that cake for that much! That price barely covers the ingredients for BC and fondant, the board and the box, nevermind my time. It doesn't matter that it is a smaller cake you want. It still requires alot of time and effort on my part to make it happen." I have always understood that people who don't make cake have absolutely no idea what it requires to do so. But this was ridiculous!!! Just had to share this one! LOL

76 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 77

Cake civilians (I got that term from IndyDebi) are crazy! This one maybe a bit more so than most.

What did the lady say when you sent her the email back saying, no way?? I'm dying to know!

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:24am
post #3 of 77

They really don't realize that it doesn't matter that they only need five pieces....but the cake the size of five pieces would be the size of an envelope and would not look like a coach purse!!

Maybe you can just tell her that a cake of a coach purse would serve 20 or whatever the design needs, and that would be $$- period...

I know in my head that they see that they spend $99 cents on a cake mix, and $1.50 on a can of frosting...and they think we are making boookooodles of money off of a paltry $2.50 that they think we spend.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:34am
post #4 of 77

Yeah...kinda like my email last week from a regular customer yet who emails me and say..."Well since I am the only one paying for my friends birthday cake and I looked at my bank account this morning and was shocked to see that I have spent more than I thought I had....."What can you do for me for $20.00 ?" icon_mad.gif

I felt like responding......"My foot up your A$$....."I mean really..I was insulted and ticked and she is a regular!!Like I care that she has spent too much money on other frivilous garbage but my cakes aren't worth more than $20.00....I promptly told her "Nothing"

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:37am
post #5 of 77

Dear Dumba$$ Cake Consumer:
I'm not aware of any cake pan small enough for only 5 people. If you only want 5 servings, you might consider buying cupcakes..... the kind with the Hostess logo on them.

A purse cake is a custom designed creation and you are paying for the design and the highly skilled talent to make the cake .... not really for the cake itself.

Our minimum for a purse cake is one that will serve 25 standard servings at a minimum cost of $125, depending on final design and style. The expense is in the talent required to create this sugary piece of art. I've actually been known to donate the cost of the "cake", but the final invoice was still in excess of $100 for the time it takes to create these intrigue details on a cake of this style.

You might try Walmart. They can proabably do "something" that fits yoru budget."

icon_biggrin.gif

CakeryBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeryBakery Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:41am
post #6 of 77

Funny...
I had a wedding consult ysterday, 250 servings filling and delivery. Budget is $400.00 tops.

Can't believe some people.

mysonbronson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysonbronson Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:42am
post #7 of 77

I am new to posting here, but I have to say that all of you are to funny. I love your responses. It's had to believe that some people have the nerve to even ask.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:45am
post #8 of 77

icon_surprised.gif Maybe she just wants a coin purse? icon_lol.gif

Crissy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissy_Cakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:45am
post #9 of 77

Oh I completely feel for you tanyacakes, I had to vent on here earlier this week for almost the same thing! People just really think we run our own little personal walmart bakeries and that we can pump out cakes for $10 -$15....HELLO, we don't buy in bulk people!

You should do what I did to a fairly regular customer recently...I sat her down and showed her my receipt from my Saturday morning shopping trip and when I told her that was for one cake she about fell over icon_lol.gif ; $35.90 for base ingredients and supplies for a 15 serving cake (Fondant covered, cookies and cream fill)! icon_confused.gif

Hang in there my dear and keep your local wally-worlds number handy if your customers want a dry, non-personal, ordinary cake. Especially if they want a cake under $20.
I have our walmart bakery actually on speed dial. icon_biggrin.gif

Brujalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brujalita Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:48am
post #10 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaj

icon_surprised.gif Maybe she just wants a coin purse? icon_lol.gif

LOVE IT!! LMAO!!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:50am
post #11 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeryBakery

Funny...
I had a wedding consult ysterday, 250 servings filling and delivery. Budget is $400.00 tops.

Hmmmmmm....wonder if that was the same gal who contacted me a few weeks ago with the SAME order??? icon_confused.gif

Oh - and as for the lady who wants the Coach purse, I would suggest she go buy a Coach knock-off for $20 on the street, then cut it up and eat that 'cause there's no way in (you know what) anyone can make a custom, sculpted Coach purse cake for $25. And give her the number of the nearest fairy Godmother 'cause I think she's gonna need one. icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:50am
post #12 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeryBakery

Funny...

This would be a good one to ask them, "And just how did you come up with that number?"

I suspect the answer would fall under the category of something along the lines of "Oh it's just a number we pulled out of our a$$!"

When you pull a number like $1.60/serving out of your a$$, you know what that buys you? SH*T!!!!!!!!!!

$1.60 = 1 Twinkie with a moon pie on the side!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:51am
post #13 of 77

I love it! "Maybe she just wants a coin purse!"

Crissy_Cakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:54am
post #14 of 77
Quote:
Quote:

Oh - and as for the lady who wants the Coach purse, I would suggest she go buy a Coach knock-off for $20 on the street, then cut it up and eat that 'cause there's no way in (you now what) anyone can make a custom, sculpted Coach purse cake for $25. And give her the number of the nearest fairy Godmother 'cause I think she's gonna need one. icon_lol.gif

LMAO, oh my side hurts I'm laughing so hard.
icon_cry.gif

Brujalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brujalita Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:55am
post #15 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

When you pull a number like $1.60/serving out of your a$$, you know what that buys you? SH*T!!!!!!!!!!

I wanna be IndyDebi when I grow up... icon_lol.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:00am
post #16 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujalita

Quote:

^^^Me, too!! Me, too!! <jumping up and down> Debi you do crack me up. icon_biggrin.gif

Crissy_Cakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:17am
post #17 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujalita

Quote:

^^^Me, too!! Me, too!! <jumping up and down> Debi you do crack me up. icon_biggrin.gif

We all do! icon_biggrin.gif

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:35am
post #18 of 77

welcome mysonbronson thumbs_up.gif

some of the best threads around here are in the business section.

I don't even sell cakes, but still spend 1/2 my time here enjoying the crazy stories from the pros.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:36am
post #19 of 77

I seriously would have responded with

"Oh of course I can make you a small Coach purse for $125. I know your email said $25 but I'm sure that was a typo."

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:40am
post #20 of 77

I got one the other day for a wedding cake to feed 150 and her budget was $100. I was flabbergasted by that. I think people just don't know how much a cake costs. Before I was making them, I went to Kroger (I know, I know) to look at sheet cakes for my son's first birthday. They wanted $35. I was a new mom and a SAHM, we were trying to buy a house and had zilch money. I thought $35 was soooo much money for a cake! icon_lol.gif
When I first started making cakes, it would blow my mind how much people would pay me for a CAKE. But, I've gotten used to it and even increased my prices recently and still bring in business. Life is good.

indydebi Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:49am
post #21 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

I think people just don't know how much a cake costs.

I so agree. But unlike when I got married (20 and 30 years ago), there are just too many informational avenues available to brides now. There is no excuse for not knowing how much a cake cost .... or at least to know a general range.

summernoelle Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:54am
post #22 of 77

That's true, indydebi. I got married 8 years ago (before the internet was big, even!) and was thrilled with $4.50 per serving because magazines were saying $12. (But then again, I did buy my cake from the woman in the trailer with the llamas in her yard. Love that story.)

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:58am
post #23 of 77

Love all the comments-hilarious!

Yes, I agree with the poster that said people have no idea how much the ingredients cost. They just assume a dollar cake mix and a dollar can of frosting. Annoying!

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:07am
post #24 of 77
Quote:

That's true, indydebi. I got married 8 years ago (before the internet was big, even!) and was thrilled with $4.50 per serving because magazines were saying $12. (But then again, I did buy my cake from the woman in the trailer with the llamas in her yard. Love that story.)

icon_lol.gif llamas????

I had to give one of my friends the "come to jesus" speech last night as she was complaining about the cost of a 40 serving cake (no filling, all BC decor) and a 6" smash cake (which she told me was going to be 9" !!) for her sons birthday. The cost for each cake was about $3 / serving. icon_confused.gif I told her that was very reasonable, the going rate. You know what she said to me? "I don't remember cakes costing that much at Stater Bros (a grocery store) or Costco" I told her no, they don't cost that much at those places - for a reason that she didn't want to know about.

No, she's not getting the cake from me. icon_lol.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:15am
post #25 of 77
Quote:

icon_lol.gif You mean she didn't even charge you a fee for entering the zoo! Did she charge you extra for for the spiddle? I almost got a power shower from one once. Lama lama LOLOLOL
But in all seriousness I had no idea what cakes cost to make until I started buying the supplies. Holy cannoli I figured out right quick that I wasn't going to give away cake to anyone unless it was a party at my house and they were an invited guest!

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:07am
post #26 of 77

For anyone who wants to know. I have yet to recieve another email from this lady. Love the Cake Civilian" thing, Indydebi!!! I swear I think that one time I might just put up an invite for people who might even consider ordering a cake from to come on over and watch me make it from start to finish. I bet that would blow their minds!!!! You all are so funny! Love the "coin purse" one, and the one about $125, even though the email said $25/ And anything Indydebi says is gold!!! You should just write a book and get it over with! I swear that I think people should just get real about it. If you want to try to do that, then go ahead. I want to see you try to make a coach purse for $25! But I am sure that'll never happen. [/quote]

summernoelle Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:15am
post #27 of 77

I swear it's true. Funny this was she was AWESOME. icon_smile.gif

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:25am
post #28 of 77
Quote:

I swear it's true. Funny this was she was AWESOME. icon_smile.gif

*checking craigslist for llamas*

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:08am
post #29 of 77

"Yeah, no problem. You bring me a small coach purse and I will shove enough cake in there for 5 people!!!----All for $25"

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:27am
post #30 of 77

Love this thread!!!

Its an interesting experiment I do, sort of unofficially....I go to a small church and to avoid gossip going around about my high prices LOL, I have a thing I do where I will make a cake for someone if they ask, and I only charge them "donation". Now I do NOT advertise this, nor do I even talk about my cake business much at church. I do make free cakes for church baby showers, etc (I plan them myself, anyways). Anyway I really don't end up making many cakes for people, as they do not regularly ask. (I know, I'm lucky so far).

My point is...once in awhile in the past it has been interesting as to how much the "donation" is...because it pretty much tells you how much a "cake civilian" thinks a cake is worth. Of course, after I get their generous donation (and seriously, I'm not being mean...most of them do feel they are paying me fairly..and its not a big deal to me because every cake I do for "donation" I do with the intent that if it ends up being a freebie, its okay with me), it totally freaks me out to even think about sharing the real price with them. LOL. That's the last thing I need....."My preachers wife is cake-gouging!!!" icon_lol.gif People really, honestly, truly...have no idea about the difference between a bakery cake and a custom order cake from an independent decorator.

Glad my customers do!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%