Best 'net Price On Satin Ice

Decorating By Sassy74 Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 1:20am by leah_s

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 23

I wondered if any of you ladies who regularly use Satin Ice might have the hook up on who has the best prices??? I've found a wide range of prices, S/H charges, you name it. Is there a web provider that typically has a good price, including S/H? Thanks!

22 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 23

Decopac.com has the usual low price ($13 for 5#) but the shipping is only $27 no matter how much you order (2 day air) which really matter to me! (in Alaska)

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:49am
post #3 of 23

also, if I'm not mistaken, Fondantsource gives a discount when you enter cakecentral in the coupon code.

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 23

I called Santin Ice directly and they were cool enough to put me in touch with a local distributor who offered the lowest prices!! I'm not kidding!! Call them directly and ask them to referr you and they'll do it! I order mine from Ambassador Foods in Valencia, CA and they'll deliver it next day!!

For two 20lb buckets of white vanilla they only charge $117 WITH delivery!! That's the best value I've found!! Breaks down to $58.50 per 20lb bucket with delivery included!

My supply store charges at least $20.00 more for the same bucket I get for $58.50!

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 23

I order directly from Satin Ice. You have to get a case (40 lbs). They get it out quick and the shipping isn't bad. I paid for 5-5 lb buckets of white satin ice and 1-5 lb bucket of their gumpaste (I'm too lazy to make Nicholas Lodges' recipe) and it cost me with shipping 151.93. I paid $20.00 for the gumpaste and $16.25 each for the fondant. Shipping was $18.18.
I think it is more cost effective to order the 20 lb buckets but I like the 5 pounders. HTH

Jo-Ann

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

also, if I'm not mistaken, Fondantsource gives a discount when you enter cakecentral in the coupon code.

YUP 10%
so 1-20 lb bucket after discount and shipping (UPS for my zip code in Idaho) $ 64.70
Can we get it cheeper?

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:07pm
post #7 of 23

I personally think fondantsource has the cheapest prices on everything. And believe me, I have searched. They offer a 20 lb. bucket of white satin ice for $45.99. The colored 2 lbs are $8.50, ans 5 lbs of colored is $16.99. I only pay $8.00 shipping, and that's with 5 lbs of satin ice, as well as 2 other items. And if they're out of something, just call Brian and he'll tell you when it'll be in stock, and even put some aside for you before adding it online as "in stock".

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 23

Ladies, ladies, check out Global Sugar Arts, they have sale on Satin Ice, 20 pound bucket is only $47.49, don't remember what it cost me for s&h, but it ordered other stuff too, and it wasn't too bad. That is the best price I found.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:21pm
post #9 of 23

I just received a 20# bucket on Monday & it was only $45.99 plus shipping. I ordered some other stuff so my total won't help here.

Sorry it was from Global Sugar Art.

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:31pm
post #10 of 23

I usually order mine from www.intotheoven.com. For me, their shipping charges are better than Global Sugar Art. That may just be where I'm located, though. I just started Wilton's Fondant and Gumpaste class so I stocked up. icon_smile.gif

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:31pm
post #11 of 23

I usually buy from Into the Oven. Their 20# of white is $47.89 and shipping is $10.79.

I am definitely going to check out fondantsource though. Thanks for the tip ladies!

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:34pm
post #12 of 23

I love fondant source! With the CC discount and ground shipping to Houston, a 20 lb bucket of white Satin Ice is $55.80. That's WAAAAY better than my local cake store- They charge like $90 for the same thing.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:38pm
post #13 of 23

How long will fondant keep if in an airtight container? Can it be split up and frozen?

beenzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenzee Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:38pm
post #14 of 23

I haven't found major difference in price when ordering online. I order from Global Sugar Art regularly. You cant beat their customer service and fast delivery.

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:44pm
post #15 of 23

It probably depends on where you live because while the prices are all pretty competitive, it's the shipping where you'll find the difference. For me, into the oven is cheaper than any other site mentioned.

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:07pm
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipe-dreams

I personally think fondantsource has the cheapest prices on everything. And believe me, I have searched. They offer a 20 lb. bucket of white for $45.99. The colored 2 lbs are $8.50, ans 5 lbs of colored is $16.99. I only pay $8.00 shipping, and that's with 5 lbs of , as well as 2 other items. And if they're out of something, just call Brian and he'll tell you when it'll be in stock, and even put some aside for you before adding it online as "in stock".

Thank you for posting this website! I've never purchased fondant before, I've only made MMF. But I think the prices are pretty good. I might try it next month for my mother's day cake. It will give me a chance to try it, and not to mention not having to make it and cleaning up after the MMF! thumbs_up.gif

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:27pm
post #17 of 23

For me Sadly (because I love Global Sugar Art) it is cheeper to go with Fondant Source..... 10.00 cheeper with them...... 74.40 vs. 64.70
It adds up. and that is not on sale....

pipe-dreams Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 6:51pm
post #18 of 23

I made mmf once, and I thought it was better than wilton fondant by far. Then I was passing through Orlando, so i stopped by fondantsource. I bought a 20 pound satin ice, and a 5 ound black satin ice. I couldn't believe how delicious they were. So no more mmf or wilton for me! The owner Brian is super nice, and will do everything he can to help you, and if you want something they don't carry, just email him and he can usually get it for you.

Tiggy, I'm pretty sure fondant can keep forever(maybe not literally, but a REALLY long time, in an airtight container. I don't think you should freeze it. If you don't have a container, make sure to wrap it really well in plastic wrap, then put in a ziplock bag and make sure to get all the air out before you seal it up. It will hold up w/o drying out like that, or you can do that and then stick it in some tupperware for adding security!

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 6:55pm
post #19 of 23

I've been thinking about it for a while & I finally decided to try Satin Ice. I ordered a 5 lb bucket from fondantsource for $21.53 (this included S/H & the 10% cake central discount). More expensive then what I can make MMF for, but I HATE the mess in making it. icon_mad.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:29pm
post #20 of 23

I just checked the pricing at fondantsource.... their regular price for 20#s IS $.30 less per pound than decopac, and with the 10% discount it's even more.... But here's the shipping comparison (shipping charges ONLY, then product included):

FS 20#: $64.56, 110.55
DP 20#: $27, 79

FS 100#: $270.42, 500.37
DP100#: $27, 287

And that's FS's UPS ground vs Decopac's UPS 2nd day air. FS'S 2nd day is even worse (UPS rates not their fault, but still Decopac has flat shipping)

Yeah... not for me!!!

pipe-dreams Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:25pm
post #21 of 23

Tiggy...I just got my new satin ice order today. It says on the label to staor in an airtight container for up to 1 year. HTH!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:29am
post #22 of 23

Thanks for the info. I'll get my order in.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:20am
post #23 of 23

Kory, you're in freakin Alaksa! It costs a mint to get anything shipped there I'd bet!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%