Help With Pirate Ship

Decorating By JoJo4 Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 12:16am by JanetBme

JoJo4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo4 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all,

I'm attempting my first carved pirate ship. I'm using instructions by Karensue. She used fondant to cover her ship and I've read that you are not suppose to put fondant in the fridge. However, the buttercream that I use definitely has to be put in the fridge and the cake will be covered with buttercream then the fondant. also buttercream between the layers. What is the consensus on putting fondant in the fridge? Also I'm thinking of NOT covering the ship with fondant but using buttercream but I worry I won't be able to etch the wood planks into the buttercream without ruining it. I could use any advice anyone wants to give me. I am baking the cake tomorrow, carving it, etc and then decorating on Friday. Party isn't until 2pm on Saturday so I really think it needs to be in the fridge if I use buttercream.

Joanne

6 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 7

buttercream doesn't have to be in fridge even if real butter in recipe. it will not spoil in a few days. I have friends who leave butter out for days with no problems

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 7

I have read on here that you can put fondant in there if you must. Just make sure to bring it to room temp before delivery. Also, it may sweat, but it should dry up fine(so I read. I have never put fondant in the fridge, but some people do apparently. If you don't use the fondant to cover it, you can try making the "planks" using the end/side of a clean ruler!
Hope this helps...and that someone else can chime in about the fondant!

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 7

I have put fondant in the fridge, but it is risky. I try to avoid it. If I must, I put the cake in a box in the fridge. I was told the problem with fondant in the fridge is that it melts if it gets too cold. So I have found that the box can insulate the cake enough so that doesn't happen. Also I would not put dried pieces (characters, bows, etc) in the fridge. I would put them on last minute.

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 7

I have put cakes in the fridge with fondant decorations only, buttercream icing. When you bring them out and they start to come to room temp, they sweat and the colors can run onto your cake. The only time I put them in the refridgerator is if they have filling that must be kept cold otherwise I wouldn't put them in the refridgerator. Hope this helps.

JoJo4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo4 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 7

oooh i love the ruler idea! So once the buttercream crusts I can use the ruler. GREAT idea! I can put the fondant accents on Saturday morning if necessary if I have to keep the cake in the fridge. But good to know buttercream doesn't have to put in the fridge. Thanks!

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:16am
post #7 of 7

I put totally fondant covered sculptured cakes in the fridge every time...

All you have to do is be aware that it will go thru a "wet" time while it comes up to room temp. It will get shiny and don't touch it!!! then it will dry... The only time I have ever had a problem with it is if it is really hot in the room you bring it into and it comes up to warm too quickly- then it might puddle. But that has only happened in July when my central air was not working.

All I had to do was stick it in front of a fan so it dried quicker.

I actually like it because if I leave a bit of pwd sugar or corn starch on the cake- it will absorb it as it gets wet and then it dissappears! It certainly does NOT hurt the taste or texture of the cake.

oh yeah- the amount of wetness also depends on how cold your fridge is- the closer to freezing, the more wetness.. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%