How Do I Make This Cake?

Decorating By jovigirl Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 10:21pm by kakeladi

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 2

Does anyone know how to make those I believe it's meatloaf cake & cover it with mash potatoes? Decorate it like a real cake... Maybe puree some squash & decorate it to look like a carrot cake with little carrots on it considering it's also easter weekend...?
I was hoping to serve that for dinner for my dh birthday on Saturday & for dessert serve spaghetti & meatball cupcakes seen here on cake central...
I just thought of it today & thought it would be a fun idea for my dh & my little girls...
However I never made one of these cakes before & was hoping someone here can help me...
Is there any chance this could be made early in the day however serve it for dinner?

Thank you all for your help....

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 2

Sure. Just use your favorite meatloaf recipe, pack it into cake rounds and bake.
When done, turn out onto a plate big enough to allow room for mashed potato 'icing'. Cover like you would a cake using dry mashed potatos. If you have squash or carrots to puree fine, if not use baby foodicon_smile.gif It will be very, very soft (watery) you probably will need to thicken it up w/something......flour? I don't know but it would effect the taste; maybe thicken it w/a paste of flour, cornstarch and squash or carrots like one would make gravy? I never did that part.
As for making it in advance, if you have a Microwave oven maybe you could warm up each cut piece in that after 'presenting' the whole meatloaf cake? Or make it early then re-warm in oven while making something else to go w/the dinner? That might brown the potato icing though icon_sad.gif if you keep the temp low and give it more time it might work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%