Royal Icing And Stacking

Decorating By JoR766 Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 7:33am by JoR766

JoR766 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoR766 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 6

Hi there i am Royal icing and stacking my 3 tier very heavy fruit wedding cake

Can anyone help me with how to stack them safely and advise whether i should use dowels or not and how i would do that without cracking the icing?

I really need your help cake expert!!

jo

5 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 6

Are you icing the whole thing in royal? I don't have any help but I am curious about it. Why all royal?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:14am
post #3 of 6

That's a typical English cake. Fruitcake, marzipan, royal icing.

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:12am
post #4 of 6

this is the one tiered cake that you don't need to dowel

i used to do a lot of cakes in this style as it is a traditional Englsh wedding cake but it's not so popular now.

The fruitcake is so dense and the icing so hard that it is quite able to support itself.

The only thing is you must ice it well in advance with several thin layers to make sure the icing is dried right through.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:36am
post #5 of 6
JoR766 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoR766 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:33am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Are you icing the whole thing in royal? I don't have any help but I am curious about it. Why all royal?

Cheers for advice - I am just a traditional english gal and had to have royal icing - dont like fondant - & had to set my self a challenge - only the 2nd cake Ive ever made!

I did put a tiny bit of glycerine in but ot the full amount recommended as my icing did go quite brittle last time so thought a touch would help - now im worried.

I think I'll put a few dowels in before I ice - just on the bottom tier - incase it collapses - or could i perhaps put the two tiers together and then ice? But guees that makes for some tricky icing.

Tried to post on sugarcraft guild but dont seem to be able to see my post?!

Thanks anymore advce greatly received. Its my wedding cake and have 2 months to go!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%