Royal Icing And Stacking

Decorating By JoR766 Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 2:03pm by sweetcakes

JoR766 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoR766 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 10

Hi there i am Royal icing and stacking my 3 tier very heavy fruit wedding cake

Can anyone help me with how to stack them safely and advise whether i should use dowels or not and how i would do that without cracking the icing?

I really need your help cake experts!!

jo

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 10

Well never have made a fruit cake much less iced w/royal icon_sad.gif
I would think it would be much the same as our american cakes...
needs to be doweled well to support the weight.
From what I heard, glycerine is added to royal to keep it from getting hard like cement but if you have already iced the cake then I don't know what to suggest about adding dowels w/o cracking it. Just take a chance??

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:21am
post #3 of 10

Sorr kakeladi but it's not the same

fruitcake covered in marzipan and royal is the traditional English way of doing wedding cakes.

it is the one type of cake that doesn't need to be dowelled. Fruitcake is extremly dense and as the royal sets so hard it actually supports itself really well. It would be impossible to insert them without shattering the icing anyway.

Glyerine can be used to stop the icing being quite so hard but this should never be done if the cake is going to be stacked. You should only use glycerine for single tier cakes or if something like a s shaped stand which supports each tier seperately is going to be used.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:38am
post #4 of 10

Hi and Welcome to CC, JoR766. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Duplicate post, please also see:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-626174-.html

HTH

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:37am
post #5 of 10

I do a lot of fruitcakes, but mine are always done in marzipan and fondant. I still dowel those cakes exactly as I do sponge cakes. I would be pertified that the icing will crack. Maybe the best is to ask this question on www.bsguk.org There are is a lady on there thats written books about RI!
HTH

JoR766 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoR766 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:22am
post #6 of 10

Cheers for advice - I am just a traditional english gal and had to have royal icing - dont like fondant - & had to set my self a challenge - only the 2nd cake Ive ever made!

I did put a tiny bit of glycerine in but ot the full amount recommended as my icing did go quite brittle last time so thought a touch would help - now im worried.

I think I'll put a few dowels in before I ice - just on the bottom tier - incase it collapses - or could i perhaps put the two tiers together and then ice? But guees that makes for some tricky icing.

Tried to post on guild but dont seem to be able to see my post?!

Thanks anymore advce greatly received. Its my wedding cake and have 2 months to go!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:50am
post #7 of 10

Wooow i've not seen a cake iced in RI in a long time,i thought it wasn't been used anymore to cover the whole cake,interesting though.Good luck.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:00am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoR766

Tried to post on guild but dont seem to be able to see my post?!

I havent tried to post on there in ages, just go to look at the great cakes icon_smile.gif
Try and pm "the dinosaur" she is awsome with RI and Im sure she will help!

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:41am
post #9 of 10

I can promise you as long as the royal icing is applied and dried throughly you don't need to dowel. It is only fruitcake and royal icing where you can get away with this. Fruitcake covered in marzipan and fondant certainly does need dowelling as the icing isn't strong enough to support the weight.

I was lucky I learnt just at that period where royal iced cakes were just starting to be replaced by fondant so I learnt both methods.

There are a few decorators in our town and speaking to them I'm the only one who was taught both methods and has experience of stacking royal iced cakes

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:03pm
post #10 of 10

i was reading on an English cake message board that they feel that the traditional royal iced style of wedding cakes will be making a comeback. I love piping and taught my self using Mary Ford books, although theres not much of a call for it here in the US. The fruit cake with marzipan and royal wedding cakes that i have made i did not dowel either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%