Rusty Rose Piper Needs Some Tips...

Decorating By poohsmomma Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 2:22pm by poohsmomma

poohsmomma Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 7

It's been 15 years since I piped any BC roses...and I wasn't very good at it then. I have an order from a woman for a 1st Communion cake and she wants BC roses. I told her I was more a fondant gal than BC, but that I would do my advice??
BTW, I live in the country and have dial-up internet access-so internet videos, etc. are not really possible.

And -Which type of BC is best for piping these things? Do I need meringue powder?

6 replies
kakeladi Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 7

Well.....Wilton method isn't too bad. As for icing you can use the Wilton Class Decorating recipe or make air-drying b'cream.
The Wilton recipe is probably easier and can be made w/o meringue powder.
The air-dry b'cream would be to make royal icing (with meringue powder OR egg white, then add 1/2 cup (or more depending on the size of the recipe) Crisco to it.
Ribbon roses are nice and can be made really easily w/any rose tip (101 thru 104 depending on how big yu want them).

xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 7

Ditto to what kakeladi said.

Here's a link from the articles section that does have a video in it but if you scroll down there are also a couple of pics with written directions (Wilton method) that should help.

I also found a few more with pictures (not videos) when I googled "how to make buttercream rose".

Good luck and have fun! icon_smile.gif

poohsmomma Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks, kakeladi
Does the air dry BC stay soft enough to cut through???

kakeladi Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:21am
post #5 of 7

Yes it does. It just crusts well enough to handle the finished flower after it dries (at least overnight).

BabyBear3 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:38am
post #6 of 7

my only advice is to make sure your bc is not to soft or not too hard. play with the consistency until you see that it is working the right way! if it's too soft than it will just ooze into a blob and if it's too hard it will crack as you are making them. my other piece of advice is to take your time -- if you get frustrated or tired, put it away and get it back out later!!!!

poohsmomma Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks to all of you for your help. I'd better start practicing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%