I Need Immediate Help!!!

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 2:12pm by pattycakesnj

cherrycakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 10

I have a cake that I'm serving tonight at a graduation and I used an extruder to make the tassle for the cap. I used lots of Crisco but the "strings" keep drying out and then falling off. I have it wrapped in seran with crisco right now but how do I keep it from drying out when I put it on the cake tonight? I'm envisioning that all the strings will fall off before it's even served icon_cry.gif Thanks!!

9 replies
beachcakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 10

Can you allow it to dry in the shape you want and then place it on the cake tonight? I've only made one tassle, but that's how i did it. Im not sure why it's falling out though. I extruded long strings and folded them over, then took a few more strands and wound them around the tassle for the band, so there wasn't anything to fall out I guess.

Chippi Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

I have a cake that I'm serving tonight at a graduation and I used an extruder to make the tassle for the cap. I used lots of Crisco but the "strings" keep drying out and then falling off. I have it wrapped in seran with crisco right now but how do I keep it from drying out when I put it on the cake tonight? I'm envisioning that all the strings will fall off before it's even served icon_cry.gif Thanks!!

Sounds like your gumpaste or fondant is too dry. Try adding some glycerine to it make it more gummy. icon_smile.gif Then try extruding with the crisco. HTH

cherrycakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks for the suggestions! I used the glycerine and it seems to be holding up much better than more shortening. I'll cross my fingers that it holds together tonight! Thanks again!

leah_s Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 10

If all else fails, extrude a long tassel so that the bottom of it rests on something, rather than hanging in space unsupported.

cherrycakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:32am
post #6 of 10

Just thought I would post a picture of the cake. The gylcerine worked great and thanks Leah for the tip about resting the tips of the tassle on the cake. It held up great! I made this cake for my son's graduation from a church program. The stripes on the cake represent the way they organzed the books of the Bible to memorize.
LL

Chippi Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:49am
post #7 of 10

That turned out really cute! Love the way you put the stripes on and what they stand for. Your tassle looks just fine. CONGRATS!!!

Chippi

cherrycakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:59am
post #8 of 10

Thanks Chippi! Again I just have to say thanks for the tip about the gylcerine. I use Michele Foster's fondant and I read that I would need to add a lot of Crisco for the extruder (my first time using it) but I found that the fondant was breaking down into mush and the stings were basically disintegrating, hence the panic!!

beachcakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 10

It looks terrific!

pattycakesnj Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:12pm
post #10 of 10

good job

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%