Easy Way To Attach A Fondant Wrap?

Decorating By cakedout Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 2:17pm by cakedout

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 5

I have a bridal shower cake that I want to do with a ruched fondant wrap around the entire cake, not just a drape. The cake tiers will be small-probably only a 6" and 10". The six is easy enough, but I am concerned about the ten: any advice on how to attach a fondant wrap around a buttercream cake without screwing it up? Or would it be best to have a fondant covered base cake?

TIA

4 replies
SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not sure if this would work but maybe you could use acetate or clear contact paper to lay the fondant on as you go around the cake. I was thinking doing it like when doing a chocolate wrap around a cake but with fondant instead of chocolate. There is a pictoral on the forum page in Cake Decorating. Also, if it's being rouched, can't you do it in sections because you can put seams under a folded section? I'm not sure if I am picturing it the way you ar thinking of doing it.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 5

Is the 6" stacked on top of the 10"? Could you do small sections at a time and hide the seams?

Or perhaps you could ruche the fondant first and then enlist another pair of hands and place it around the cake? I think if you rolled/unrolled it to apply it, you might have issues.

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 5

is is something like this cake?

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1341024

I did each side individually on this one. after I'd cut each one and frilled the top I rolled it up put the cut end on the left hand side and then unrolled it pressing it to the cake as I went along. I trimmed each coner edge with a sharp knife then dipped my finger and lightly rubbed each seam until it disappeared. IThe seams are practically invisible unless you look really close.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks BeachCakes and SweetMelissa! It was kinda a "Duh" moment...I never considered doing it in smaller sections! icon_confused.gificon_redface.gif Here I was wondering how the heck I was going to attach a pleated 5" wide by umpteen inch long wrap around this cake!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_surprised.gif I think thinner strips will be much easier to handle...and maybe I will have to have my hubby around for that "extra hand"! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks bunches!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%