Easy Way To Attach A Fondant Wrap?

Decorating By cakedout Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 2:17pm by cakedout

cakedout Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 5

I have a bridal shower cake that I want to do with a ruched fondant wrap around the entire cake, not just a drape. The cake tiers will be small-probably only a 6" and 10". The six is easy enough, but I am concerned about the ten: any advice on how to attach a fondant wrap around a buttercream cake without screwing it up? Or would it be best to have a fondant covered base cake?

TIA

4 replies
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not sure if this would work but maybe you could use acetate or clear contact paper to lay the fondant on as you go around the cake. I was thinking doing it like when doing a chocolate wrap around a cake but with fondant instead of chocolate. There is a pictoral on the forum page in Cake Decorating. Also, if it's being rouched, can't you do it in sections because you can put seams under a folded section? I'm not sure if I am picturing it the way you ar thinking of doing it.

beachcakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 5

Is the 6" stacked on top of the 10"? Could you do small sections at a time and hide the seams?

Or perhaps you could ruche the fondant first and then enlist another pair of hands and place it around the cake? I think if you rolled/unrolled it to apply it, you might have issues.

MissBaritone Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 5

is is something like this cake?

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1341024

I did each side individually on this one. after I'd cut each one and frilled the top I rolled it up put the cut end on the left hand side and then unrolled it pressing it to the cake as I went along. I trimmed each coner edge with a sharp knife then dipped my finger and lightly rubbed each seam until it disappeared. IThe seams are practically invisible unless you look really close.

cakedout Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks BeachCakes and SweetMelissa! It was kinda a "Duh" moment...I never considered doing it in smaller sections! icon_confused.gificon_redface.gif Here I was wondering how the heck I was going to attach a pleated 5" wide by umpteen inch long wrap around this cake!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_surprised.gif I think thinner strips will be much easier to handle...and maybe I will have to have my hubby around for that "extra hand"! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks bunches!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%