Can You Freeze Batter??

Decorating By CupcakingChristine Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 1:16pm by CupcakingChristine

CupcakingChristine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakingChristine Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 7

I have what feels like a stupid question but I am going to ask the experts anyway!! Can cake batter be frozen? If not, how long do you think it will stay fresh in the fridge? Thanks!!
icon_sad.gif

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 7

Yes it canicon_smile.gif I don't know howto find it but IndyDebi started a thread about how she had extra batter she put into a pan & froze, then didn't even let it thaw when she baked it and all cam out right.
It can be kept in the frig (in the pan it will be baked in) for a couple of days.

CupcakingChristine Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 7

Hmm I wonder if this will work with cupcakes too? I would imagine yes....

Mom23girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom23girls Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 7

I saw someone posted (can't for the life of me think who it was) that they freeze cupcake batter in lined pans (lined with cling wrap I think) then pop them out and keep in a freezer bag till needed.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:50am
post #5 of 7

Cake mixes and most scratch bakers use double acting baking powder. What this means is that the baking powder is 1st activated when liquid is added, with a 2nd activation when heat is applied (during baking).

As a result, cake batter can sit without losing its ability to rise properly; it can also be refrigerated and/or frozen without losing its ability to rise properly when baked.

Baking powder photos (by brand):
(As well as science of baking powder.)

http://tinyurl.com/2p7fd4

HTH

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:14am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Yes it canicon_smile.gif I don't know howto find it but IndyDebi started a thread about how she had extra batter she put into a pan & froze, then didn't even let it thaw when she baked it and all cam out right.
It can be kept in the frig (in the pan it will be baked in) for a couple of days.

Here's the tread kakeladi was referring too:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-618550-frozen.html+batter

CupcakingChristine Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:16pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you everyone!!!! I appreciate all of your help!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%