Butter - How Long Can It Sit At Room Temp?

Decorating By twinsmake5 Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 9:17pm by kelleym

twinsmake5 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 6

I laid it out last night intending to use it for NFSC this morning. Life got in the way -- how long is too long to let the butter sit at room temp? Thanks a bunch!

5 replies
xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 6

It'll be fine if you have only had it out overnight. Not sure of the exact days that it stays fresh outside the fridge though.

Cakepro Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 6

Salted butter is just fine for surprisingly long periods of time in a cool house. Unsalted butter, which contains no salt (a preservative), is fine overnight. Others may say it is fine unrefrigerated even longer.

beachcakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 6

Not sure what the official rule is, but when i was a kid, my grandmother never refrigerated butter. And she lived to 92!! icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 6

I know that mold will start growing on it if you leave it out for too long (just don't know what the time frame is though).
I've started buying the land o lakes spreadable butter because I can keep it in the fridge and use it to spread on food items like bagels. For baking I use the reg butter and sometimes take it out the night before as well.

Also wanted to mention that this weekend I needed room temp butter to use in my SMBC and only had frozen butter. I didn't want to wait for it to reach room temp so I grated it so I could use it right away. I've also read that you can pound butter (like with a rolling pin) to get it to reach room temp faster but I haven't tried this method yet. One of these days I'm sure I will.

kelleym Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Quote:

how long is too long to let the butter sit at room temp?

Definitely no longer than 3-4 weeks. icon_razz.gif

But seriously, I have a covered butter dish that I leave butter in all. the. time. I haven't gotten staph or norovirus yet. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%