Is It Worth It?

Decorating By Stellarcakes Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 10:05pm by Stellarcakes

Stellarcakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 4

Ok, so I ran across an ad that was hiring a baker/cake decorator in my area. So I sent them an email and told me to give them a call so I did..I have an interview on Friday. I think basically what I would be doing if I get the position is baking and icing 9 inch round cakes that they wholesale to restaurants and hotels and they do a lot more stuff. My drive would be 17 miles there and 17 miles back. They have a one month probation and you start at $7 an hour and then after that they bump you to $8 an hour. Is it worth it? I have never worked in a bakery type setting before I have always done it as a hobby and would like to pursue it more and get more experience.

3 replies
derrcake Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 4

I'm very new to decorating, but have been baking for 15 years. A few years ago I explored culinary school, but decided to work partime in a high-end restaurant first. It was an awesome experience, and answered so many questions for me. I decided not to choose that as a career path after seeing the industry first hand. Driving 34 miles round trip at $8/hour may not be financially beneficial, but the experience may end up being worth quite a bit. Best of luck in your interview and with your decision.

xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 4

What she ^^^ said. If the money is not a big deal I'd do it just for the experience. Even though you might not be decorating it will help you get quicker with icing anyway. I want to look in my area myself but only for a part-time position because of the kids.

Stellarcakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 4

That's what I was thinking the experience would be great for the future. And as far as I know it will be part time and that way I can still work at my salon part time...

Quote by @%username% on %date%