Dark Chocolate Rolled Sugar Cookie Recipe Question

Baking By tljkids Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 3:53am by Honeydukes

tljkids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tljkids Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 20

Has anyone made this recipe (posted by pumpkinwaffles) without using the expresso powder? I'm having a hard time finding the expresso powder locally.

19 replies
HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 20

I actually just made this the other night for the first time. My grocery store didn't have the powder, so I just got ground espresso beans. I don't know what the difference is, except the powder would be finer? I thought it was wierd that there was no baking soda/powder in it, they were really thin. I think you could leave it out, personally I don't like coffee anyway and I'm not sure how much flavor it actually gave it, I think it only calls for a tsp or Tbsp. Good luck!

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 20

The espresso powder magnifies the chocolate flavor. You can usually find it in the coffee aisle. Medaglia D'Oro is a popular brand -- a small glass jar with a green lid.
http://www.medagliadoro.com/products.htm#products03
You can get a wonderful mocha flavor by adding two or more teaspoons.

The absence of a baking powder or soda gives you the option of using either kind of cocoa powder.

Pebbles13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles13 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:16am
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydukes

The absence of a baking powder or soda gives you the option of using either kind of cocoa powder.

Honeydukes, I have a silly question dunce.gif Are there different types of cocoa powder? I've seen Dark Chocolate, Dutch Process, and regular cocoa, but where does baking powder factor in? Please educate me icon_biggrin.gif

Honeydukes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:31am
post #5 of 20

There are natural and Dutch-processed cocoa powders. Normally you can't substitute one for the other.

Baking soda is used with natural cocoa powder. Hershey's is the most popular brand.

Dutch-Processed (alkalized) cocoa powder is neutral and must be used in recipes that call for baking powder. Droste is very popular and the brand I find most often. Martha prefers Valrhona. (I haven't yet found that one on the shelves, but will order it someday soon to try it.)

I would recommend you try the recipe with with one and then the other and see which you prefer. I like using the Dutched cocoa.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:32am
post #6 of 20

Since I do not like coffee in any form, I never use it in this recipe. IMHO, they still taste great icon_smile.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:45am
post #7 of 20

I add tasters choice instant coffee granules! I also roll these cookies to at least 1/4" so they are thick and chewy... YUM!

tujy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tujy Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 20

i just used regular instant coffee (nescafe?). i smashed the granules a bit finer, but in the end i couldn't taste much of a coffee flavour. they were still nice tho

saycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saycheese Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:44pm
post #9 of 20

i know it's not local...so it's not going to help you TODAY...but
King Arthur Flour (.com) sells a great espresso powder

Pebbles13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles13 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:38pm
post #10 of 20

Thanks for the cocoa lesson, Honeydukes icon_smile.gif

Honeydukes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by saycheese

i know it's not local...so it's not going to help you TODAY...but
King Arthur Flour (.com) sells a great espresso powder

That's a great source. They also carry a black cocoa.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/black-cocoa-16-oz

I have their cookie book and in it's a recipe for faux-reos. Here it is, in case anyone's interested. The book has a slightly different filling. It uses gelatin and no peppermint.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/faux-reos-recipe

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:09pm
post #12 of 20

I just used instant coffee. They are great, and I don't even like coffee

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:30pm
post #13 of 20

Thanks, Honeydukes!

Honeydukes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:17am
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

Thanks, Honeydukes!

What have you been doing with yourself girl??!! icon_biggrin.gif I keep forgetting to PM you about your purple. icon_confused.gif

TracyLH Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:43am
post #15 of 20

Hi Honeydukes! icon_biggrin.gif Aww... someone noticed I was gone (sniff, sniff). We went a travelin' as my MIL was kind enough to watch the kids and it is off-season so a tad cheaper. I did get my 'CC fix' a couple of times if we had internet access and my DH just rolled his eyes, calling me an addict. icon_lol.gif

I haven't had my caffeine yet this morning, so a tad confused about the 'purple'. Are you talking about the shade I was trying to figure out from Halloween or the purple on the Easter Bunny's bow tie? If so, I used Wilton Purple as the Americolor didn't get the shade I wanted. Does that help?

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:48am
post #16 of 20

Welcome back, TracyLH! I noticed you'd been absent from the boards for a while. Hope you had a ton of fun on your vacation...I'm so-o-o envious!

TracyLH Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:52am
post #17 of 20

Thanks, GeminiRJ! Back to reality! icon_smile.gif I did try to scout out decorated cookies while I was there and about fell over at the prices. Once I get organized, I may have to post the pics I took as you all will die at the price for the amount of detailing. I saw the first one and thought, "Oh, my gosh! I have to tell the girls about this!"

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:15pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

Thanks, GeminiRJ! Back to reality! icon_smile.gif I did try to scout out decorated cookies while I was there and about fell over at the prices. Once I get organized, I may have to post the pics I took as you all will die at the price for the amount of detailing. I saw the first one and thought, "Oh, my gosh! I have to tell the girls about this!"

Scouting out cookies while on vacation? Yeah, that's a sign...you're an addict! Welcome to the club! Can't wait to see the pictures!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:42am
post #19 of 20

Okay dumb question: What chocolate cookie recipe are we talking about? Does anyone have a link to it?

Honeydukes Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:53am
post #20 of 20

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%