Help! Overwhelmed And Losing The Buttercream Battle!

Decorating By CakeMommy3 Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 4:35am by BakerDee1875

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 40

I have been using just a basic all crisco crusting buttercream. I hate it! I have come to realize that it is the icing, not my technique, that is making my cakes look awful. I went to the recipe section, and I am completely overwhelmed, there are so many! Mine just will not smooth, and I am getting so frustrated!

Would anyone mind sharing their favorite shortening/butter or all shortening recipe? I can't use hi ratio or sweetex, due to expense. This is "just a hobby" lol.

I am about ready to cry, and I really don't wanna do that in front of my kids icon_cry.gif

Please save me!

39 replies
gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 40

I use Serious_cakes recipe all the time.
www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7059-0-Buttercream-Frosting.html

I just finished making some today! It's really good and uses about 2/3 more butter than crisco.

I also like Indydebi's recipe using crisco and dreamwhip.
www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-268-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html
I made one batch of sugarshack's buttercream and it was really nice, but it uses sweetex and I only got a little bit of it and yes, it's very difficult and expensive for me to get hi-ratio.
You can pm me or Serious_cakes if you have any questions about her recipe. I've been making it since last September, and it takes some "owning" of the frosting.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 40

Oh, and also, here's a link to Serious_cakes making her buttercream on youtube. There she answers some common questions about it too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLcCbN2I4xI&feature=related

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 40

SharonZ (SugarShack)'s b'cream is super icon_smile.gif
Even if you don't end up using that recipe, it's worth the time & efford to read the threads about her method(s). I'm sorry I don't have a link for you but try searching for SugarShack's buttercream.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 40

Switch to IMBC.

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 40

I second the SugarShack's icing. It is super smooth right after beating it. This icing is very creamy. Is is in the CC recipes, try a search for SugarShack. HTH

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 40

Here ya go... I love this and it smooths great.

1 stick butter or margarine softened
4 ounces cream cheese softened
2 cups crisco (all vegetable shortening)
2 pounds powder sugar
flavoring

Cream butter ,cream cheese and flavoring. Add in small incremants the shortening and powder sugar. Mix on Medium about 7-10 minutes..... any flavoring works really well. Also if you are coloring it add the color when you do the flavor.

brandiwyne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandiwyne Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:45pm
post #9 of 40

Has anyone done sugarshack w/ reg crisco? If so how was it?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:53pm
post #10 of 40

sharon says you can use crisco instead of hi-ratio shortening... and you can use half butter and half crisco.. you can see her make it on youtube...and yes . serious_cake is on youtube..

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:54pm
post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Switch to IMBC.

icon_wink.gif

Yes!!! You will love it...no more PS mess on the counter! And the taste....to die for. Before anyone starts in on it tasting like a big stick-o-buttah.....if it is made correctly, and eaten when it isn't right out of the fridge, it is a light, greaseless, sweet, whipped concoction that is just out of this world! And no, it should never taste like a stick of butter dipped in sugar. icon_cool.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 9:00pm
post #12 of 40

jamiekwebb...your recipe sounds yummy..... does it crust?

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 9:08pm
post #13 of 40

I also find the recipe section difficult to navigate. Is the IMBC recipe that everyone talks about on here the one submitted by Queequeg? If so, what is caster sugar?

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 9:12pm
post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffCake

I also find the recipe section difficult to navigate. Is the IMBC recipe that everyone talks about on here the one submitted by Queequeg? If so, what is caster sugar?

Totally ripped this from Google:

Castor or caster sugar is the name of a very fine sugar in Britain, so named because the grains are small enough to fit though a sugar "caster" or sprinkler. It is sold as "superfine" sugar in the United States.

Because of its fineness, it dissolves more quickly than regular white sugar, and so is especially useful in meringues and cold liquids. It is not as fine as confectioners sugar, which has been crushed mechanically (and generally mixed with a little starch to keep it from clumping).

If you dont have any castor sugar on hand, you can make your own by grinding granulated sugar for a couple of minutes in a food processor (this also produces sugar dust, so let it settle for a few moments before opening the food processor). You can also purchase castor sugar online.

I'm not sure about IMBC, I apologize, I was saying yay to pterrell when I thought she said SMBC. I am going to try IMBC soon....I hope she comes back in and tells us about it. It's meringue based, so I know it has to be perfect!

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 9:46pm
post #15 of 40

Yes it does crust and I have never had any trouble smoothing it using the viva method. I love this recipe and I get rave reviews all the time.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:10pm
post #16 of 40

I've been wanting to try some IMBC recipes, but they all require a mixer. I don't have one, so I can't make it. The one recipe that didn't need a mixer was so nasty I threw it out. I'm not putting a big stick of butter on MY cake... Seriously, ONE cup of sugar with THREE sticks of butter?!?!?

It might have been tasty on cinnamon rolls, I guess, but I didn't have time to make those...

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:14pm
post #17 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaswolf

I've been wanting to try some IMBC recipes, but they all require a mixer. I don't have one, so I can't make it. The one recipe that didn't need a mixer was so nasty I threw it out. I'm not putting a big stick of butter on MY cake...

icon_confused.gif I knew that would come up. So I'll counter back with....and you want to cover your cake with the same stuff that you fry chicken in? icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:16pm
post #18 of 40
Quote:

Cakepro I didn't know you had a recipe for b/c in the recipe section, sounds great and I really appreciate all the extra info you added for the piping consistency too! Thanks!

Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:29pm
post #19 of 40

Sugarshack's recipe all the way! I used it for a couple of years with just crisco, but now I use it with Sweetex. It really does taste much better with the high ratio. I'm just a hobbiest, too and it takes me quite a while to go through that big ol' box of shortning.
Just a little FYI, if you get a 50lb box of high ratio you can portion it out into gallon size ziplocs and put it in the freezer. I do 3 ziplocs in the pantry and the rest in the freezer. When I have only 1 pantry bag left I pull 3 out of the freezer to thaw and build up my pantry stock again. It's actually cheaper to get the big box of high ratio, at least in my area.
Just a thought... icon_wink.gif

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:37pm
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:

I've been wanting to try some IMBC recipes, but they all require a mixer. I don't have one, so I can't make it. The one recipe that didn't need a mixer was so nasty I threw it out. I'm not putting a big stick of butter on MY cake...

icon_confused.gif I knew that would come up. So I'll counter back with....and you want to cover your cake with the same stuff that you fry chicken in? icon_biggrin.gif

And i'll counter with: you want to cook w/ something that you can CLEAN YOUR HOUSE IN? icon_wink.gif lol

I've had properly made S/IMBC. It's just not for some people. I can't stand it.. much like many of the S/IMBC lovers can't stand American Buttercream. It's just a matter of taste. I have a sweet tooth.. and although I do make my buttercream w/ all butter, I don't love the actual taste of butter.. and think that S/IMBC tastes like slightly sweetened whipped butter.

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:45pm
post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrabill

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:

And i'll counter with: you want to cook w/ something that you can CLEAN YOUR HOUSE IN? icon_wink.gif lol

I've had properly made S/IMBC. It's just not for some people. I can't stand it.. much like many of the S/IMBC lovers can't stand American Buttercream. It's just a matter of taste. I have a sweet tooth.. and although I do make my buttercream w/ all butter, I don't love the actual taste of butter.. and think that S/IMBC tastes like slightly sweetened whipped butter.

Trust me, I want to laugh at this....but I don't get it. If I am slow today....forgive me!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:48pm
post #22 of 40

thanks, jamiekwebb....I just jotted down the ingredients and can't wait to try a batch this weekend!
And everyone on here has me motivated now to try the IMBC....I've been too intimidated to try it.

thanks again, jamiekwebb....looking forward to it! thumbs_up.gif

Cakepro Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:50pm
post #23 of 40

You clean your house with butter?

I am totally lost.

I bet my husband would love it if I cleaned the house while COVERED in butter, but that is for another thread. icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

xstitcher, that's the recipe I've given to my cake students for the past 11 years, so I've seen it used literally by over 1000+ people without problems. LOL

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:53pm
post #24 of 40

Baking soda..

My point was who cares that you fry chicken with crisco.. as you can also clean a house w/ a staple ingredient in cakes.

=)

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:57pm
post #25 of 40

Oh...ok. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:01pm
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I bet my husband would love it if I cleaned the house while COVERED in butter, but that is for another thread. icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:04pm
post #27 of 40

In this thread there are several recipe links -- with lots of different cakes, fillings and frostings available. Hopefully one of them works for you: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=625803&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:04pm
post #28 of 40

cakemommy,

you should try the "whimsical bakehouse" house buttercream. it's a novel approach to butter/crisco/PS buttercream and it is always smooth (because the PS is thoroughly mixed with hot water before the butter/crisco are added) and it spreads onto the cake more like and IMBC/SMBC, nice and smooth. it's quite wonderful to work.

pm me if you want to give it a try and can't find the recipe.

if you wanted to go up a notch, but IMBC sounds a little intimidating, SMBC is another great option. very easy and it has the advantage that there are no egg safety issues.

diane

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:09pm
post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

You clean your house with butter?

I am totally lost.

xstitcher, that's the recipe I've given to my cake students for the past 11 years, so I've seen it used literally by over 1000+ people without problems. LOL

That's how I took the comment as well. You gave me a good laugh about the covered in butter comment maybe we should put that thread in the lounge hmmmmm...

I'm looking forward to trying your recipe and if I ever make it back to Houston I'd love to take some classes with you.

Cakepro Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:13pm
post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

I'm looking forward to trying your recipe and if I ever make it back to Houston I'd love to take some classes with you.

Girl, I looked your pictures ~ you don't need classes! You have a standing invitation to come over and we'll just "play cake." icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%